Reload this Page >

naples to salerno -safest way

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 11:22 AM
sheilah

am arriving by plane to naples and need to get to salerno, am traveling alone-need to know safest/easiest/fastest way. thank you !!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 11:40 AM
GAC

The fastest way is to hire a limosine at the Naples Airport. This is also the most expensive option. Cheapest option is to take the frequent city bus or airport bus from the Airport to the Naples Central Train Station, followed by a frequent direct train to Salerno (30-50 minute ride). Schedules and train fares (very cheap) are posted in www.trenitalia.it The bus/train option is safe, unless traveling late at night

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 11:45 AM
sheilah

mahalo for that info .. do you have an approximate idea on how much the cost of the limo would be ?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 12:26 PM
GAC

There are others who have posted on this site who will give you a better estimate: I would guess about 120 Euros. The train would cost you A LOT less (it's really a pleasant ride).

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Kay

contact [email protected]. They have a transfer service by car and can give you a price. They are family run and very trustworthy. Take care, Kay

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Sherry

If you decide to take the train, there is a frequent bus that you can take from the Naples airport to within one block of the train station.<BR>You must buy your ticket in the airport at the tobacco shop before getting on the bus. It is less than 2 Euro.<BR>If you decide to take the train, I would take the bus to the station. I really feel better, myself, not being in a taxi in a strange city alone.<BR>I feel the train would be perfectly safe and reasonable.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 02:45 PM
GAC

Bear in mind that there are TWO buses from the Naples Airport to the Central Train Station. One is the city bus (orange), the other is an "airporter"-type bus (blue, I believe). The city bus is cheaper (both are very inexpensive), but the airporter bus is much handier if you have heavy luggage. I would take the first one departing. The city bus may be slower by a very few minutes.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Sherry

Hi GAC. I didn't realize there were two buses. We just took the orange one. When I asked in the airport at the car rental counter(we dropped off our car) they only told me the orange bus.<BR>Anyway, the bus driver was very helpful. Also, there were many people on that bus going to the train station. So we had no problem finding our way.<BR>The traffic was very heavy that morning and a know a taxi would have been quite expensive. It took us over 30 minutes to get to the stop near the train station.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:19 AM
GAC

Sherry: The blue bus would have taken about as much time as the orange bus to reach the Central Train Station! However, the blue bus continues on to Piazza Municipio, where one can walk to Molo Beverello to catch a hydrofoil to the islands.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Bob

GAC - which terminal do I take the ferry to Procida and how do I get there from the train station and which train station. Thanks.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 03:26 PM
GAC

Most services depart from Mergellina Dock, 500 yards from the Mergellina Train Station (NOT the Central Station)

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:51 PM
Sherry

GAC. I am almost positive you are the person that gave me the wonderful advice about reserving seats on the IC train from Naples to Rome and not going second class. I really wanted to thank you. <BR>I included a note in another post quite some time ago, but am not sure you saw it.<BR>I don't know what we would have done if we would have gone second class. It was the day of the 10 Euro fare and the train was packed. People standing in the aisles of first class, I imagine the second class was jammed.<BR>Anyway, in hopes that you see this. Thanks.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:44 AM
GAC

You're very welcome. I'm delighted things went well for you and that you enjoyed your trip.