Search

Naples Taxis

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples Taxis

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knew roughly how much a taxi from Naples airport to Mergellina port would cost? It's difficult to tell how far it is! I'd be quite happy to get there by public transport myself, but my mum is a bit nervous and would rather get a taxi, as long as it's not ridiculously expensive. Any ideas, anyone? Thanks.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Vicki - I believe the official rate is about € 30.00. Fix the price before you get in - otherwise ...

Otherwise the Alibus Shuttle goes direct to Molo Beverello harbour every 30 mins.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

thank you! yes, i know what happens if you don't agree a rate first! i've spent a lot of time in italy - luckily only one taxi driver has ever tried to rip me off badly, and that was in milan. thankfully i speak italian fluently, which i think helps...

somehow i've managed to travel around southern italy quite a bit without ever going to naples for more than a day. not intentional, it's just happened like that. so could i just ask - are beverello and mergellina next to each other? i was under the impression that they were different places...
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Beverello and Mergellina are very far away!...you don't want to be driven to one place and then walk to the other!!!
Yes, the price is roughly the one Steve_James says
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Molo Beverello is the standard (usual) Naples port for ferry boat departures to the Amalfi Coast, Capri, etc. The Mergellina port is further N up the bay, past the city centre, Villa Communale, etc. Mergellina boats go towards Ischia, Procida, etc.

If need be, you could take the Alibus Shuttle to the other port (Beverello) as Steve mentioned, then take a taxi up the way to Mergellina. They are about 20 mins away/apart by auto.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much! I did think they were a distance apart, but when Steve mentioned the shuttle bus to Beverello, I started to wonder if they weren't as far apart as I thought. Obviously they are! I'm going to Ischia, and I'd rather use the hydrofoil, and according ischiaonline website, they only go from mergellina.

30 euros is a bit more than i'd want to pay for a taxi. still, it will keep my mum happy i suppose!

sorry to go on, but if i wanted to avoid taxis at all, what would be the best way of getting there by public transport?
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 09:40 AM

There is a local bus/tram (#1) that goes down to the Piazza Municipio (adjacent to the Molo Beverello port), it also goes further, with a stop in the Villa Communale. From the Villa Communale, you could hop on another bus for the ride up to Mergellina. (Alternatively, I have walked the entire length of the Villa Communale, into the Mergellina train station and port area, but it is a long walk and if it is summer, not fun!) There are frequent busses going up there from Villa Communale so you shouldn't have a problem. However, it is probably best to just take a taxi from the Beverello port directly to the other (Mergellina) since they can deliver right to the ticket offices and you could avoid a lot of extra walking. Be aware that the hustle is on big-time in Napoli. I speak fluent Italian too and look Italian, but that has not made me exempt from thieves. Just be extra careful when you are there!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Yes, it will be summer, and we'll have suitcases. Taxi it is, then.

and yeah, i know i have to be as vigilant as possible... although i don't think anyone's exempt from thieves anywhere. mind you, i couldn't look LESS italian if i tried - i might as well have a neon flashing sign over my head saying "TOURIST - ROB ME!". but, somehow, i've always been ok, so let's just hope the luck holds! and it's not because i've stuck to the 'safe' bits, either!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 01:21 AM

This is confusing to me, because I spent alot of time on Ischia and Procida last year, back and forth from The Amalfi Coast, and I seem to remember getting ferries to Ischia from the same Naples port as the Ferries to/from Sorrento. But maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, as sometimes happens. I do know that I never had to get from one Naples port to the other while making the trip however.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 02:18 AM

Vicki - Sorry - mea culpa. I misread your Q. (Often happens before caffeine injection )

But I can't see much point in going to Mergellina rather than Beverello - there are hydrofoils (Caremar & Alilauro) from Beverello too - and it only takes 10-15 mins longer.

You can find timetables on:

http://www.ischiaonline.it/page.php?...amp;sez=MOVIME

Alibus costs only € 3 from Capodichino to Molo Beverello.

Hope this helps ...

Steve