Naples or Sorrento?

Search

Naples or Sorrento?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples or Sorrento?

Rick Steves says why stay in Naples when Sorrento is so close and so beautiful. But can we get to Sorrento by train? Anyone been there and loved it?

Thanks.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 02:04 PM

Sorrento is about an hours train ride from Naples. Sorrento is a beautiful little town. Naples is huge and very busy. Depends on what you like. In Naples dont miss the "Veiled Christ" in the Sansevero Chapel. And dont miss trying the Limoncello. It is delicious.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 03:06 PM

I disagree with Rick Steves, his word is not the end all to everything. He over-promoted the Cinque Terre area in Italy, the Rue Cler area in Paris, and now both those areas are over-run with tourists and price-hikes out of control.

Napoli is beautiful in its own right. There are many unique areas within Napoli that make it a very interesting and worthwhile place to visit. I would not rule out Napoli, but rather integrate it into an Amalfi coast itinerary -- spend 1 or 2 days in Napoli, 2 days in Sorrento, day trips to Ravello, Positano, etc. I will be in Napoli in August for 10 days and can't wait to experience that delightful city -- home of the most delicious pizza in the world!
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 05:56 PM
mdv

Agree with the previous poster. I didn't like Sorrento at all, but it's a great base to visit the rest of the Amalfi Coast. I really enjoyed Naples, but many others just hate it. JandO is right, the Veiled Christ is magnificent.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
After 10 days in Rome, we found Sorrento much more relaxing than Naples. It was a great base from which to explore the entire region.

We spent a full day in Naples, and if we'd had more time we probably would have spent a second day there (though we'd still sleep in Sorrento). Naples is only an hour from Sorrento by hydrofoil and/or train.

The train connection (Circumvesuviana) is more of a metro line than an inter-city train. There are 25 stops between Naples and Sorrento, and it takes an hour. We used both, but if the seas had been rough the hydrofoil would not have been operating.