Naples-Museum question?

Aug 30th, 2001, 03:25 PM
flagal

Naples-Museum question?

I am going to Naples in May for one day-I would like to do the museum in the afternoon on Wedesday. I love museums and spent the day (10-4 plus a hour for lunch) the Art Institute of Chicago. How much minimum should I allow and how can I save time? Went to sites but didn't find much

Aug 30th, 2001, 03:27 PM
GAC

Which museum: there are a dozen in Naples. If you mean the Museo Archeologico, you will need half a day at a bare minimum. GAC

Aug 30th, 2001, 04:43 PM
going

Are there lines? What is included besides the Pompeii/Hur. stuff? Thanks

Aug 31st, 2001, 06:03 AM
carol

There are no lines, I found the mosaics from Pompeii on the mezzanine much more exciting than the frescos; the greek/roman sculpture from the Farnese collection (that's the Renaissance Farnese pope who was the first collector of the newly-discovered antiquities which influenced Michelangelo et al)is absolutely extraordinary and is on the first floor, and finally, the gabinetto segredo--the erotic art from Pompeii is really amusing and only takes about 15 minutes to see, but you have to make a reservation as soon as you enter the museum--when you buy your ticket, ask them where you go for a reservation (it's right across the hall).

Aug 31st, 2001, 07:14 AM
Flagal

I heard the museum is closed in the winter at 2:00. When is it open till 7:00??? I am going late May I can't believe it would take more than a couple of hours. I have been told that it isn't really too safe around parts of Naples. I was going to skip the museum altogether but then I heard you really must see what they took out of the sites. I was under the impression that there were furnishing also. True?

Aug 31st, 2001, 03:11 PM
Walter

In case you don't have it this is the museum's website www.cib.na.cnr.it/mann/museum/mann.html The museum's location seemed perfectly safe, I had no concerns. Regards, Walter

Aug 31st, 2001, 03:44 PM
GAC

The museum is not located in a particularly dangerous area. Exercise reasonable caution, especially after dark, and nothing bad will happen. Avoid the Quartieri Spagnoli (to the southwest of the Museum) after dusk.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:17 AM
elaine

Walter I checked that website and can't find any information on what the opening hours are
Anyone have any info?

Sep 4th, 2001, 08:18 AM
carol

I was in Naples from May 15-31/01. Both museums (Capodimonte and Archaeological) were open all day until 7 pm.