Reload this Page >

hotels in Zurich

Search

hotels in Zurich

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Ekladka

hotels in Zurich

i read the post about rossli. how about tiefenau, marriott, airport hilton, adler, and leoneck. are these far from touristy places and train station. how is the standard of these hotels.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 06:48 AM
Ekladka

oh... and what about Rutli ?

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 07:09 AM
Ursula

They are all in the center except of course the Airport Hilton. <BR>Check out: <BR>www.zurichtourism.ch <BR>You will find links to all the above hotels or do check older posts and you will find most of their websites. <BR>Tiefenau is by far my favourite among all of them. I real gem in secret garden. Next would be the Tiefenau. <BR>Standard of them is 3-5 stars. <BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Ursula

sorry! <BR>...next would be the Florhof which you did not mention. <BR> <BR>.. I am busy at work. Should not do two things at the same time.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Ekladka

thanks ursula. u must be thinking what a dud i am. but for us folks sitting faraway, it is difficult to make a decision. can u place the following hotels in order of best location, facilities and beauty- TIEFENAU, ROSSLI, MARRIOTT, LEONECK, GLOCKENHOF, and RUTLI. sorry for the trouble.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Ursula

Ekladka: Well, this is though, beauty, location AND facilities. What is most important to you (among the 3) and are you a younger (under 30 y.) person? <BR> <BR>My favourite is Tiefenau, but it is not the most central of them, but still not out of the way (and *very* romantic). <BR>Most central and most convenient would be the Glockenhof off Bahnhofstrasse. But it is the largest besides the Marriott and has groups. But still, if you like shopping, it's the place for you. <BR>If you are younger, you might prefer the Rössli, the Rütli or the Leoneck. <BR>They are in or close to the most lively area in Zurich called "Niederdorf". <BR>The Rössli (only 17 is often booked). <BR>If you like international large hotels, go for the Marriott, close to the train station. But all the others are more charming. <BR>Depending on when you will be here, choice will already be limited by booked places. <BR>Good luck! <BR>PS: On August 11 will be the Street Parade, just in case.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Ekladka

i am 25. all the factors are important to me. i understand that one cannot get everything at one place so i am basically looking for a place that balances romanticism with facilities and the closeness to sights in zurich and the train station (we will be walking). now i am down to rossli, glockenhof, tiefenau and leoneck. help me narrow down more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Ekladka

actually i just checked the rates and now i am down to 3 hotels- leoneck, walhalla, rossli. HELP !!!!!!!

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 07:50 AM
Ursula

Ekladka: Will you bring me a chocolate? ;-) <BR> <BR>You got it right, you cannot have everything unless you want to stay at the "Baur au Lac" or the "Savoy en Ville" (both top places) and best location. <BR>Now, let's put it this way: <BR> <BR>1. Rössli (no balconies, but 1 suite with a roof garden) <BR>2. Glockehof (romantic garden restaurant) <BR>3. Tiefenau (everything is romantic also its restaurant, but least central) <BR>4. Leoneck (good location and funny restaurant called "Crazy Cow". <BR> <BR>Hope this helps a bit, but this is NOT easy at all. <BR> <BR>Oh, what about the "Kindli" (some 20 rooms and really nice, Laura Ashely style). That would match with almost everything. Sorry, I do not have the website at hand, but you will find it with www.zurichtourism.ch <BR> <BR>Come back, if you need further help. I'll be off now.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Larisa

I would like to repeat thequestion I asked in another thread: had anyone ever satyed in the California hotel. <BR>It is perfectly located, reasonably priced and looks good on pictures. <BR>But I would like to have some feedback about service, cleaninness, specifics, if any. Please, advise.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Larisa

How very strange! <BR>Isn't there anyone who stayed in the hotel California, or knows about it. <BR>The location is superb, the price is great. But no one ever recommends it. <BR>Ursula provided the feedback on the area but not on the hotel itself. <BR>Is there something I should consider. <BR>Maybe the place is preferred by any minority groups, with all my respect to all of them, I wouldn't want to make anyone else uncomfortable. <BR>Please advise.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 06:07 PM
Pat

We will be staying at the Baur au Lac for two nights at the end of September. Wondering if it is advisable to take the train or get a cab from the airport. How close to the train station is the hotel? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 08:18 PM
travelman

To Ekladka. Love Hotel Rossli stayed there few times. Very cool,clean.Ask for the double on the top floor(not the suite).Close to everything.Prices went up so I,m staying in Hotel Altstadt.To the person who asked about Hotel California.Avoid it its a dump with loud clientele.Travelman

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 10:16 AM
Ursula

Pat: Take the train from the airport to the main station and then a cab. Will cost you about SFR. 15.- or so. <BR>To give you an idea how far it is: I'd say about 15-20 min to walk (not quite a mile or so) all along the famous shopping street "Bahnhofstrasse". However, if you stop at Sprüngli (chocolates), Cartier, Vuitton, Chanel or so, it might take considerably longer and cost a lot more! ;-) <BR>Here is the "Baur au Lac" web page: <BR>www.bauraulac.ch <BR>I hope you get a room with a view (lake).

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 04:27 PM
Pat

Ursula, <BR> <BR>Many thanks for your kind response, you're so helpful to all of us here. Will follow your advice --- train then cab but will definitely return to stroll the 'Bahnhofstrasse'. <BR> <BR>Pat

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 10:48 PM
Clare

Last time I was in Zurich I stayed at the Marriot, good hotel but it was a little far away from the centre by my standards. The train station and main shopping streets were about a 10-15 min walk away and with luggage it was easier to catch cabs. Next time I'd probably vote for something a tad closer.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Ursula

Topping for Geli