Search

Naples Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples Hotels?

My wife and I are looking for recommendations on a hotel to stay in for 2 nights in Naples this December.
We would like something convenient for train travel and a day trip to Capri. But we have heard that the area surrounding the train station is seedy.
Also, we are traveling on a budget and trying to find places that are nice but still less than $100 a night.
Thanks.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:33 AM
GAC

Check out the website for the Pensione Bella Capri, at the main port and very close to the departure point of ferry boats to Capri It's a two-star, so it's strictly budget.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

thanks GAC. I'll check it out.
any other suggestions?
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:59 AM

topping for ira

Ira's Amalfi Coast Trip Report includes a section about his trip to Naples and the hotel the stayed in. He had a very favorable review and I believe it was very reasonably priced.

Type "Amalfi Coast Trip Report" into the search box, and it should come up.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 12:39 PM
ira

Thanks Aggie,

We stayed at the Albergo Sansevero.
http://www.albergosansevero.it/indexe.html

See my trip report for more detail.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:49 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Jolly. Within walking distance of the ferries as well as the Museum. I believe we paid less than 120 euros. I thought that ALL of Naples was pretty seedy. Just be careful and guard your valuables.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 11:09 PM

I loved staying at 'Le Fontane al Mare' (Via Niccolo Tommaseo 14, 011.39.081.764.3811). I found the hotel to be very comfortable and the area nice, yet close in proximity to the places I wanted to see/get to. It is located on the oceanfront in the "Chiaia" district along the Bay of Naples with spectacular views of the bay. It is adjacent to the Villa Communale, Castel Dell'Uovo and within 15 minutes' walking distance to the Stazione Marittima (Molo Beverello port for ferries to Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi), Piazza Municipio, etc. They have wonderful seafront rooms with balconies - my double (bathroom across hall) was only 60 euros a night, including an ample breakfast! My Italian friends (a family of 3) stayed in their largest room/suite with bathroom inside and only paid 100 euros. Breakfast is included with all the rates quoted. (FYI, there is an elevator (10c) to take up to the hotel on the 5th floor. Have some euros change with you, otherwise, it is a long walk up the flights of stairs!)

From the Napoli airport, a taxi ride to the hotel costs 18-20 euros. If coming from the port area (Stazione Marittima) take bus # 1 to Piazza Vittoria (next to Villa Communale) and walk the 2 short blocks to hotel.

P.S. The restaurant next door, Zi Carmela Ristorante, serves up the best margherita pizza around at only 5 euros per pizza -- not to mention delicious pasta too!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:28 AM

Ira - Why did you choose the albergo over the Sansevero Degas? I'm thinking of turning a daytrip into a night or two, and leaning toward the Degas. Seems there was a report on here a long time ago recommending the Degas. Will have to look for that now (and hope it doesn't bring up all of Degas's posts!).