Search

Naples Day Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2023, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Naples Day Trip

We have six nights in Naples next year. One of our day trips will definitely be the train to the Royal Palace of Caserta. I have always wanted to see Ravello, so was thinking of renting a car for a day and driving to Ravello and Amalfi since odds are pretty slim I'll ever be in this part of the world again. Being married to an old guy, I think Tracy has almost had it with ruins (plus we will have been in Rome for six days previously), so I think Herculaneum and Paestum are out, although Paestum does interest me. What are your thoughts on a Ravello/Amalfi day trip? Anyone done that? Thanks.
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could take the train or ferry from Naples to Sorrento and then take a boat to Amalfi. Once you arrive in Amalfi, just take a taxi up to Ravello.
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 04:05 PM

We did a day trip to Amalfi and Ravello from Salerno with a taxi service in early May 2016 and loved it, but the drive time was short and it wasn’t very crowded. We spent 4 days in Atrani near Amalfi end April 2022 and took the bus for a day to Ravello. I absolutely love that town, very laidback and calm, unlike the two other more famous ones on the coast.

Do you plan on driving yourself? If so, parking could be a hassle, also driving those winding roads, not for the faint hearted. I also know they planned to allow even/odd number cars on alternate days, don’t know if this still continues. As suggested, you might want to ferry to Amalfi and take a taxi to Ravello, or even the bus, it’s most convenient and should take not much longer than the taxi.

Old Aug 14th, 2023, 04:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd ferry from Naples to Amalfi (about 90-100 minutes) and then taxi around. Or train from Naples to Salerno and bus or ferry to Amalfi. If you want to stay through dinner, you might need/want to return via Salerno. Last ferry from Amalfi to Naples is probably around 5:00 p.m. Amalfi is closer to Salerno.

The potential problem with a car rental is the quasi-ZTL instituted for the coast road. Driving access is determined by the car's license plate... even numbered plates on even numbered dates, odd on odd. And then there's the scarcity of parking.
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Looks like ferry Naples to Amalfi is perfect with taxi to Ravello.
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been to Amalfi and Ravello, but not as a day trip from Naples. As others have suggested, ferry would probably be better than driving. You might look into a day trip to Ischia as well/instead (never done it, thought about it my most recent trip to Naples but then got too busy). What time of year are you traveling?
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 01:16 AM

Hi! Even if you've been in Rome, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to go to Herculanum. For me, it's much better than Pompeii. Pompeii is very big, and when you've been walking for 4 hours you forget where you are. Instead, Herculanum, due to the difficulty of digging in lava, is much smaller but incredibly well preserved.
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Besalu
Hi! Even if you've been in Rome, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to go to Herculanum. For me, it's much better than Pompeii. Pompeii is very big, and when you've been walking for 4 hours you forget where you are. Instead, Herculanum, due to the difficulty of digging in lava, is much smaller but incredibly well preserved.
I agree 100%! While we enjoyed seeing Pompeii, we loved our visit to Herculaneum. Its small size and preserved elements make it so much more accessible and intimate and we really *felt* the sense of the place. We also visited the Villa Oplontis at Torre Annunziata, which is a private home, possibly the home of Nero’s second wife. It’s another fabulous site and combines well with Herculaneum. Though Pompeii is a must-see, we enjoyed seeing these two sites even more.

I do agree with rhe recommendation to take ferry to see the AC. Ravello is a charmer of a place and has spectacular views. And you really, really don’t want to have a car along the coast!
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 06:18 AM

Ravello can be reached from Naples without going along the coastal road at all, though the switchbacks en route are still challenging. I was only a passenger, and the driver was local: fine for me! What I can’t tell from Google Maps is whether you can get to Ravello’s parking lot without traversing its ZTL.

https://www.accessibilitacentristori.../ravello/mappa

if you haven’t seen the Amalfi Coast from the sea, then yes, ferry + taxi is the way to go.

Avoid my mistake and don’t visit the palace at Caserta on the first Sunday of the month, when admission is free and it is mobbed. Do rent a bike or take the carriage ride to the English garden. The grounds are immense, with stunning fountains,

If by any chance you were to drive to Caserta, you could include the old town in your visit. I hear it’s also lovely but it was too far to walk.

Paestum was magical, and it is a straightforward day trip by train via Salerno.

Old Aug 15th, 2023, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks FT. It might be safer if we take the carriage ride As far as Paestum, I am certainly interested.
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Besalu
yes! Herculaneum is also very close to Naples, an easy morning or afternoon. What I enjoyed most is how well preserved some of the structures are, even the colors and painted parts, and quite a lot intact. It is actually pretty. The setting is lovely.
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by uktravelover
You could take the train or ferry from Naples to Sorrento and then take a boat to Amalfi. Once you arrive in Amalfi, just take a taxi up to Ravello.
Views of the Coast from the water are spectacular!
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 10:46 AM

As much as we love both Pompeii and Herculaneum (we're returning this coming November), Paestum felt different.......................ancient and peaceful. We were there on a sunny November day in 2022. We took the early morning train from Salerno so for a while we had the place to ourselves. From the station there is a short walk down a charming country road to the archaeological park's entrance. The country atmosphere and lack of crowds (at least in late November) made for a more contemplative experience. The ancient temples are uniquely, architecturally outstanding and there is an extensive Roman ruin settlement surrounding them. There is also a museum – only partially open when we were there. Afterward we sat at a delightful outdoor patio directly outside the park, had a simple lunch and soaked up the sun. For us, the tranquility of the place set it apart but ruins are our thing - maybe for Tracy not so much. LOL

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 11:21 AM

Hi, Tom! We've not communicated directly here but I always read your terrific reports and hope this may be helpful:

This is what I would do in your situation:

We need to get Tracy to be more appreciative of the decrepit, so:

Hire car for the day. In my experience, hotels often have the best pricing for this...ask around and if you would like, I can share some names of drivers I've been given related to my own upcoming trip beginning in Naples.

Leave as early as you can manage. YOu can skip breakfast, as delights are to come....

Ask driver to take highway to Paestum. Visit temples and museum. Then, if you have any interest in food, continue to nearby Vannulo buffalo farm, famous for their cheeses and other products (yogurt, ice creams!!) made from buffalo milk. See the cheese making and the animals and have a few tasty snacks in their on-site cafe....

From Vannulo, driver can drive Amalfi Coast road past Vietri and Cetara (best restaurants on that coast) and past Amalfi up the winding road to Ravello. Walk around Ravello (see many other posts here for specific details of what to see in that town). You CouLD have the driver drop you in Ravello and you can return by bus to Amalfi and then on to Naples. But if you can splurge, after seeing Ravello, either have driver take you back to Naples along the Amalfi drive, or even through the hills near Tramonti. You can even stretch the time to include a dinner near Tramonti (reputedly the town where the best pizza makers in Italy come from; I an offer a name if you wish)

OR, after Ravello, retrace your route and have dinner at one of the legendary restaurants in Cetara which is still, amazingly, not so well known to most English-speaking tourists. Among Italians, Cetara is considered (as far as I know) one of the best eating towns in the south......But you must be a fish lover. Again, I will offer tips on specific restaurants if you like.....

After dinner....return home to Naples hotel via the highway.....

Pricey, but you will see a lot and eat perhaps some of the best food you will have on this, or any other, trip.

My visit to the Tenuta Vannulo Water Buffalo Farm, near Paestum

https://www.fodors.com/world/europe/...-from-he-12253

SCIALATIELLA TO SFOGLIATELLE; PACCHERI TO PROVOLA: 7 Delectable Days in Amalfi and Naples
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 11:45 AM

Paestum is one of my all-time favorite ancient sites together with Delphi, the Pont du Gard, and the Pantheon.
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 12:12 PM

ekscrunchy, I don't know if Tom is interested, but I am! Please share the info on drivers and restaurants in Tramonti and Cetera. I might not include Ravello, as I've been there, but I hope to get back to Naples, which I love, and the rest sounds great!
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

"We need to get Tracy to be more appreciative of the decrepit"
Well, she did marry me
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 06:12 PM

To SusanP and Tom: I will dig up some more info in my personal files, but for now, look at this:

https://travelamalficoast.travelmar....adise-of-pizza

..and this, where I commented on eating a little off the tourist track:

Amalfi Coast by Car

https://www.lucianopignataro.it/a/gu...i-alici/74138/
Old Aug 15th, 2023, 07:27 PM

Ek, thank you!
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maitai, I remembered that you will be hitting Naples on your next Italian sojourn. This article from last week's Guardian does a pretty good job of characterizing the city, its wild contradictions, and its cultural popularity in the current moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...aradise-devils

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -