Naples Capri Sorrento

Search

Naples Capri Sorrento

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples Capri Sorrento

We will be in Naples for a day stop while on a cruise. I have visited this area before and do not plan on going to Pompeii. I would like to go back to Sorrento and may incorporate a stop in Capri just to walk around the town. Have been to both but on a land tour

I was wondering if anyone can help with logistics of getting around from place to place. Looking at the hydrofoil it looks like you have to purchase one way tickets each time. Is this correct or is there a ticket where you can purchase it for an all day use? If not then the train seems like the more economical option for part of getting around

Any suggestions, tips, comments?

I would like to at least take one hydrofoil just because the views from the water are amazing

Thank you
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 01:24 PM

You cannot purchase a single ticket that goes from Naples-Capri-Sorrento-Naples. That's not the same thing as a round trip ticket (e.g. - Naples-Capri-Naples). For what you want, you'll need three one-way tickets.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 01:25 PM

BTW, when you say "you have visited this area before" exactly how much time (days/hours) did you spend exploring Naples?
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 02:13 PM

My experience with hydrofoils is that you cannot appreciate the views. You are inside and moving quickly. Perhaps the hydrofoils from Naples are different.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 04:02 AM

As is quite easy to find out, the hydrofoils here are a mix... those usually kept for the main commuter runs are adapted for year-round use, with only limited or no outdoor areas - whereas others have lots!

Here's the Alilauro fleet...
http://www.lauroweb.com/flotta.htm

... and that of the NLG line...
http://www.navlib.it/flotta/default.asp

On many routes there's competition between hydrofoils and ferries, and between lines, so return tickets - which limit you to the particular operator's offerings - are rarely available... or wanted!

The rules for knowing how many passengers are aboard prevent the sale of "open" tickets, even to those making the journey twice a day, five or six times a week.

During the season, this is typical of what you'll see heading out from the Beverello quay - next to the cruise terminal - on its way to Sorrento or Capri..
http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/129811557

.. and the view is indeed amazing...
http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/125491341

... although, as yet, there are STILL no trains to that island!

Peter

PS... Here's what to do when there's no view...
http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/126039236
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you

Bardo - I spend two nights in Naples and two nights in Sorrento on my last visit. I did explore both towns along with Pompeii on the day we moved from one to the other
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 03:46 PM

ga,

Got it.

Anyway, your two options are -
#1: 3 one-way ferry tickets (Naples-Capri-Sorrento-Naples) or
#2: a train (Naples-Sorrento) plus two one-way ferry rides (Sorrento-Capri and Capri Naples).

I'd give an edge to option #1 though either would be OK.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 05:30 PM

IMHO, if you only have a day, you can easily enjoy the full day on Capri. We spent 3 days there and wished we had had more time. Capri town itself is wonderful. Take the funicular from the port. After roaming around a while, catch one of the many cheap shuttle buses that go around the island and ride just for the views; do stop at the top and visit Ana Capri. Lovely village, smaller than Capri town, delightful galleries, views, etc. Or you can take a boat tour around the perimeter of the island.