Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you buy hydrofoil tickets from Sorrento to Capri ahead of time?

Sep 17th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

I'm posting this question for a friend who hasn't yet registered on Fodor's and who's going on a Mediterranean cruise, docking in Sorrento for one day. She and I are trying to make plans to meet in Capri on October 15 with our respective DHs but, if they run into crowds disembarking from the ship when they reach Sorrento, who knows how long it will take them to buy hydrofoil tickets.

Does anyone know if you can buy hydrofoil tickets online ahead of time ?? I'd be interested in knowing, too, since we'll be staying in Positano and it would be convenient for us to do the same, if possible.

I figure that, if anyone would know the answer to this, one of you Fodorites will.
Sep 17th, 2006, 08:32 PM

ready2travel,
Try http://www.alilauro.it/home.php#
or
http://www.navlib.it/

Henry
Sep 19th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Henry, but both sites seemed to be in Italian only. While I can read a LITTLE Italian, I don't feel confident enough to order anything online except in English. My friend checked the same websites and came up with the same conclusion.
Sep 19th, 2006, 07:44 PM

NavLib seems to be saying that the schedule to Capri is valid till Sept 3rd, Alilauro is not running from Naples to Capri at all.
Anybody knows other means of getting from Naples to Capri? We will be there during the last week-end of September.
Thanks a lot
Sep 20th, 2006, 01:25 AM

Hi Mian - The main operators between Naples and Capri are SNAV, Caremar and N.L.G.

You can find timetables on:

http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html

Timetables may change in the next week/ 10 days, so check before you go.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Sep 20th, 2006, 02:19 AM

The various operators change schedules all the time. It's always simplest to buy tickets at the port when you see what times the boats are running. There are several companies so there would be no point trying to book in advance for one company because the ticket would not necessarily be valid on another company. The services have generated much controversy on Capri because the government is cutting subsidies to the state operator Caremar which is therefore withdrawing from the Sorrento-Capri route and leaving it to the private operators; the islanders fear that services will be less reliable and more expensive.
The cruise ship will not go in the harbour at Sorrento which is very small, so passengers will be taken ashore by tender. There is a row of ticket offices and it's just a matter of looking for the next departure and lining up to hand over cash for tickets.
Sep 21st, 2006, 10:07 AM

Thanks a lot, Steve. So there are ferries to Capri at the end of September - beginning of October, but seems that we'll find out the exact schedule when we are ready to go. Well, that's Italy, I'm not complaining lol.
Sep 21st, 2006, 10:11 AM

One note though: that seems to be the schedule for the week-days. Mergellina is not available on week-ends.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 01:23 AM

Mian - The Naples-Capri service is a year-round service.

N.B. The more frequent service is from Molo Beverello, NOT Mergellina.

Hope this helps ...

Steve