Search

Naples - 1 or 2 days?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples - 1 or 2 days?

Hi,
I have an option of either spending 1 or 2 days (this Saturday, Sunday) in Naples. Can anyone please comment on things to be seen in Naples? I will be arriving in Naples from Rome by train. I am simply not sure if I should return to Rome the same evening (Saturday) or spend Sunday as well in Naples. Other than the ruins of Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius - are there other things to do as well? Thanks for your time... ItalyHo...
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:34 AM

In Naples itself, visit the Archaeological Museum that holds many of the treasures taken from Pompeii. (It is somewhat disheartening to visit Pompeii and see holes in the wall where frescoes were chopped out. Many years ago this was the 'preservation' method though now I doubt that this would be done.)

Naples itself is a thriving, exciting, gritty city with an interesting ancient section and other sights you might enjoy.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:59 AM

I just day tripped to Naples from Rome a Sunday in January and had a great time. The city is very alive on Sunday mornings as the gaggle of churches in the centro are so packed and folks moving about.

Seems folk still go to church in numbers here, as is often the case in poorer areas.

There is a huge flea market around the main train station - such a market - sprawls for blocks and blocks and lots of real junk but packed. Never seen such a third-world type market in Europe.

Though you could spend days in Naples there is not that much IMO to linger. It's also the filthiest city i've seen in 38 years of European travel.

But the old-world atmosphere is great - narrow laundry-strung cobbled lanes - a very poor area however yet a very ancient look lacking so much now in European towns.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:03 AM
ira

Hi I,

I would stay overnight.

Have you looked up Naples under "destinations"?

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:11 AM

We spent three days in Naples and easily could have spent another two. Some of the things we enjoyed (excerpted from trip report):

-The Archeological Museum.

-Napoli Sotterranea - tour of the underground aqueducts, tunnels and caverns that date to the city's Greek beginnings. Highly recommended!

-The Duomo, and the Greek and Roman ruins beneath it.

-Capella Sansevero.

-The tiled cloisters of Santa Chiara, as well as the very well done museum that depicts the church before and after the war and the adjacent ruins of Roman baths.

-Certosa di San Martino atop Vomero hill. There couldn't have been more than 10 people visiting while we were there. Very interesting complex, and fabulous views over Naples. Vomero, by the way, is like being in another world; very quiet compared to the chaos below it.

-Walking along the bay in the Chiaia/St. Lucia area, and a late afternoon at Castel dell'Ovo on a spit of land near the harbor. More fabulous views.

-Palazzo Reale.

-Wandering through the narrow streets of the historical center, taking in sights and smells, with fish stalls next to world famous pizzerias, next to gold shops, next to craftsmen creating nativity figurines.

-Oh, yes, the pizza.

We never even made it to Herculaneum, Capodimonte Museum or Caserta.

Some photos, if you're interested:
http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/377036698SgHjQy
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your tips Looks like a 2 day trip this weekend. Chow...