Reload this Page >

Naple to Positano

Search

Naple to Positano

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:20 AM
kats

Naple to Positano

As we will be traveling to Positano in July could any of the experienced travelers recommend the best and most comfortable way to go from Naples to Positano, and how long ids the journey? Also what lenght of time do we need to allow, to get from Positano to the airport in Rome. <BR>Thanks in advance to all

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:36 AM
lar

If you tend to be carsick AT ALL, there is no "comfortable" way to Positano. It took us two hours to drive from Napoli to Positano in our own car. For cheap, I recommend train from Napoli to Sorrento, bus from Sorrento to Positano (little blue bus, I forget the name -- SITA maybe). Lonely Planet (and probably Fodor's too...) has all that info in their Italy guide book. But maybe this is in vain, because you say you're traveling in july??

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:44 AM
Carey

I personally would recommend renting a car in Naples. But if you are going to do this, make sure your hotel has parking. It can sometimes be difficult to find parking in the tiny towns and village. But having a car will allow you to visit the city that aren't as accessible by bus and it will free you from the bus schedule. The drive from Naples to Positano is not that bad. you can either go along the coast or take a number or roads that cut through the hills and valley (actually my favorite route) In the hillside roads you will find farmers selling wine, cheese, mushrooms, as well as roasted hazelnuts (when in season). It's a really fun route to take, and you won't find any tourist in sight. Then when you are done in Positano, you can drop of the car, and take the train to Rome. I wouldn't recommend having a car there. and there is really no need, since the transporation system is excellent.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:55 AM
ali

Our hotel arranged for a car to pick us up at the Naples airport and drive us to the hotel (in Ravello). It was about $150, but it was easy and reliable. I'm sure most hotels can arrange it for you. I agree that the Naples-Sorrento train and Sorrento-Positano bus is also a good idea. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 09:34 AM
SteveJames

Hello Kats, <BR> <BR>In July there's a direct hydrofoil service from Naples to Positano which takes 45 minutes. <BR> <BR>My own favourite route is by boat from Salerno, - but this is a slower route. <BR> <BR>Will you be travelling to Fiumicino by train or by car? <BR> <BR>Steve <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 10:46 AM
michele

Steve -- Do you have the hydrofoil schedule from Naples to Positano? We will be arriving by train from Rome into Naples in early-mid afternoon on August 28 and would prefer to take a ferry or hydrofoil from Naples to Positano rather than the commuter train/bus. Also, from where in Naples do the ferries and hydrofoils leave? Is it far from the Naples train station? Would we need to get a cab to the dock and if so, do you have any idea how much that would cost? We will have very little luggage. I have heard horror stories about people getting ripped off in Naples and we don't speak much Italian, so I'm a little leary about taking a cab in Naples...but then again, I'm also a little leary about trying to use public transportation in Naples too, just because we will have our luggage with us and don't want to stand out too much as targets for any ne'er do wells.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 01:01 AM
SteveJames

Hello Michelle, <BR> <BR>The hydrofoil for Positano leaves from Mergellina port in Naples. <BR>From Rome I would advise you to catch a train direct to Mergellina, not to Napoli Centrale. There are trains from Rome to Mergellina at:- <BR>09.45 arrives 11.30 <BR>13.45 arrives 15.27 <BR> <BR>The afternoon hydrofoils for Positano leave Mergellina at:- <BR>16.15 <BR>18.35 <BR> <BR>I would strongly advise you to book in advance. <BR> <BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ... <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 01:55 AM
SteveJames

P.S. I believe the port at Mergellina is about 400m from the railway station. Maybe someone else can confirm this for you as I have never used Mergellina. (I prefer to sail from Salerno as the station there is close to the jetty). <BR> <BR>Depending on how much luggage you have, a taxi should cost you 10-20.000 LIRE. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps ... <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Tammy

Steve James, Does this hydrofoil stop in Amalfi also? Thank you

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 04:31 AM
SteveJames

Hello Tammy, <BR> <BR>If you are going to Amalfi it's quicker, more convenient (and cheaper) to go by boat from Salerno. <BR> <BR>As regards the hydrofoil service, the timetable info I have is just between Naples and Positano. I'm not sure whether or not it continues to Amalfi. <BR> <BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ... <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 05:33 AM
SteveJames

Michelle - you asked specifically about the hydrofoil service. I should add to the above that, as you're travelling direct from Rome to Positano, you will find it more convenient as well as cheaper to take the boat from Salerno rather than the hydrofoil from Naples. <BR> <BR>This is a hassle-free alternative compared to the expense/inconvenience of getting to the port in Naples by taxi/bus from the station. <BR> <BR>Time-wise there is little in it when you consider that there's a Salerno-Positano boat virtually every hour. <BR> <BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ... <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 06:53 AM
Tammy

Hi Steve, <BR> <BR>Do you have a website for the service from Salerno? Thank you.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Tammy

Top for Steve.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 04:47 PM
zz-top

Tammy - <BR> <BR>http://www.ondaverde.it/orari_traghettii.htm <BR> <BR>This is site of Onda Verde hotel in Priano. They have many links to information re: Amalfi coastline. One area they discuss is transportion and here you’ll find list here of ferry/hydroplane schedule. Hope this helps with what you need. <BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Tammy

Thanks ZZ. I noticed the last update to that webpage was in 1999. Do you know if it is still the same?

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 08:53 PM
zz-top

Sorry, Tammy, not sure if that schedule is still current. <BR> <BR>Last time I was in Positano was Apr-99. And it was via transport mode of train to Napoli-Circumvesuviana to Sorrento-SITA bus to Positano. It's a full day of travel; next time I'd like to try the water route out of Napoli. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 01:08 AM
SteveJames

Hi Tammy, <BR> <BR>The timetable is on the Alilauro website page 2 under 'Altri Collegamenti...' - Monocarena Veloce (high speed boat) from Piazza della Concordia jetty (2 mins. from the station):- <BR> <BR>www.alilaurogruson.it/orari.htm <BR> <BR>There are also hydrofoil and boat services listed from Molo Manfredi, but this is less convenient from the station. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps ... <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 03:23 AM
Tammy

Steve, Thank you. Can you please tell me exactly what the following sites are for and whether they are current? <BR> <BR>http://www.campaniatrasporti.it/sita/5121.htm <BR>http://www.uniplan.it/sita/s509.txt <BR>http://www.costadiamalfi.it/orari.htm

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 04:22 AM
SteveJames

Hi Tammy, <BR> <BR>They are bus timetables for services between:- <BR>Sorrento-Positano-Amalfi <BR>Amalfi-Salerno <BR>Amalfi-Ravello

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 04:24 AM
SteveJames

P.S... and yes they are current. <BR> <BR>Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -