Mykonos or Santorini?

Search

Mykonos or Santorini?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mykonos or Santorini?

We will be traveling to Italy/Greece this June with our daughters (aged 25 and 21). We plan on going to Italy first, then Greece. We will need to fly out of Athens back home to the States, so will spend a few days there. We would like to spend about 4 days on either Mykonos or Santorini. My question is-If you had to choose one, which would you choose?
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Santorini. There's a lot more to see and do there and the youth-oriented nightlife, although not quite as famous as Mykonos, is still very popular with international travellers. Mykonos has better beaches but the views of the caldera from the clifftop villages on Santorini are one-of-a-kind, not to be missed.

If you sign up for the Aegean Airlines email newsletter you'll be notified when their 'saver' fares for June are released. This will save you a lot of money. Expect them to be offered sometime in March or April.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM

Agree on Santorini, it is absolutely unique and make sure you take the bus to Oia for the sunset, although sunsets at Fira are also pretty special.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Much as I love Mykonos, I agree with brotherleelove and DownUnder especially as you only have 4 days and have decided those are the two islands you wish to visit.

Mykonos isn't going anywhere and you could spend some time there next time you come to Greece. You will too, the country is addictive ;-)
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I signed up the the Aegean Airlines newsletter as well.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 08:28 PM

santorini is the only big island weve been to in greece so i cant compare but we did love santorini
i always recommend the clifftop walk from fira ( hope its fira and not thira cos one is the capital and the other is the name for santorini)..anyway i mean the capital city to oia

that is such an easy but picturesque walk...takes about three hours if you hurry along
once at oia you can catch a bus back to wherever...
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 12:11 AM

I’ve been in Santorini. It is a fabulous island with nice beaches like Kamari and Perissa. There are some places for sightseeing and you can go on a volcano tour. The view from the cliff is exciting so, I think you’d better go to Santorini. The nightlife is great too. However, the holiday is yours and you decide which place is more suitable for you. I can recommend you a guide for some further detail to both islands, which is very useful, especially if you know nothing for a place: http://www.greek-islands.us/santorini/ and http://www.greek-islands.us/mykonos/ .