Search

Mykonos

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mykonos

Hi, I will be in Mykonos mid November on a cruise and we have about 5 hours(6pm-11pm) to kill. There are no set up excursions, so I was just wondering what anyone suggests that we do or have to see while we are there. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM

A perfect day on Mykonos includes a stroll to the Little Venice area, photos in front of the windmills, a lunch at Paraportiani restaurant: try the Greek salad and huge calamari and have your camera ready for the pelicans: they will be seen eating fish, straddling over to the tables for a tidbit much like cats in other restaurants. . There are some magnificent jewelry shops : Mykoinos Gold of Artemis Michailidis in Mykonos Town. If your lucky you'll find the bakery shop on lower level (follow the perfume of biscuits baking).
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 10:36 AM

I believe the above poster does not realize the date and time of your visit.

In November - the tourist season is over in Mykonos. - it weill be getting dark quickly -no excursions as not much to see.

The only alternative is to walk along the streets and alley ways of Mykonos Town- some shops and restaurants may be open but certainly not like summer.

Assume you eat an evening meal on the shio during the hours you are in mykonos - does not leave much time for any exploring.
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM

If those five hours are in the morning, you may be able to take an excursion boat to the island of Delos, one of the best archaeological sites in Greece. Otherwise, have a stroll around Mykonos Town. There will still be some shops and restaurants open, because Mykonos has a year-round population. The town will be just as beautiful as ever, and you won't have to share it with the summer crowds.
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Sorry, I missed the part that you will be there from 6pm to 11pm. No Delos then, but some shops should still be open, and you will have time for dinner in a Mykonos restaurant.
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Hi Jake

In mid November on Mykonos the sun sets a little after 5pm.

Some areas of town are floodlit such as the windmills and town hall but, sadly, you won't find too many other photo opportunities.

I'm not sure what days you will be there but the town does get busier at weekends when folks from Athens visit.

On the main street (Matogianni) there will be a few restaurants open such as La Casa and the Lotus plus O Giavroutas restaurant (on Mitropoleos).

Unfortunately, I cannot think of one cafe on the harbour front that will be open in mid-November. It could be windy and chilly so it may be better if you stick to the small streets just behind those. That said, if it is known a cruise ship will be coming in then there's a good chance some of the local cafe owners will make sure their place is open!

One bar advertises itself as being open every day of the year and it is called Passo, also on Matogianni Street. Again, I cannot think of any bar or club that may be open in the Little Venice area.

I hope regular contributor Gaspard joins the thread as he has a superb knowledge of the island and may be able to give you some more advice and recommendations.

As folks have already mentioned, it is worth spending some time walking around the maze of small streets even on an early-winter evening.

bill
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 11:35 PM

Hi Jake,
as billbarr said, itīs getting dark around 5pm. Just get lost in the narrow street of Mykonos town. When cruiseships are coming, some owners open the shops, but not many in November. Have a look at the windmills, Little Venecia. Maybe the museums are open. You nerve know. billbarr geve you some addresses for restaurants. I confirm Giavroutas, La Case. Then there is the Phos Café Bar and Appaloosa and To Maereio (Kalogera street). Maybe Rouvera (seafront) will be open (owner belongs to an old Mykonian family), but Madoupas (seafront) will certainly be open. Itīs the most traditonal bar/café/taverna/restaurant in Mykonos town. Madoupas is an institution. Extremely fair prices. Next to the St. Nikolas church.
When I arrived for the first time in Mykonos (1974) it was dark and cold. But the town had character and was mysterious. I decided to go back one day. In 1975 I stayed a month and since then ...
G.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 02:21 PM

>Madoupas (seafront) will certainly be open. Itīs the most traditonal bar/café/taverna/restaurant in Mykonos town.<

How could I forget? Thanks J.

Bill

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 08:08 AM

Gaspard

My husband and I are planning a trip to Greece this November (I was there 16 yrs ago- my husband has never been). We picked November because that's our anniversary and we do a trip every year to celebrate - also that's when Delta is kind enough to let you use your miles!

We definitely want to spend time in Athens and Nafplio but we also wanted to spend time on a couple of the islands. I was depressed to read the threads that they islands "close down" at that time of year - the weather sights didn't make the weather look that extreme.

Are there any islands that would still be okay to visit? By the way we have 11 days total.

Appreciate any help,

Merri
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM

What's October like? I am planning to go then. I used to live in Mykonos (Jamuary to Septemeber 1972) The day I left was a beautiful warm day. Does the weather hold til October and do things stay open? I find it interesting that street names are used now. I don't think I ever used a street name the whole time I was there. I am almost afraid to go back It may break my heart.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 07:01 PM

Has it been 36 years since you've been there? You're right, your heart will be broken.........
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 07:52 PM

There's a piece in the NYT Travel section today about 36 hrs. in Mykonos. www.nyt.com
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 10:56 PM

Merrisr
November is not the best month to visit the islands if you like warm and sunny weather, but some like this moment, when the islands show more character. It can be cold, windy, rainy, the days a short. As you want to visit Naflio, why donīt you stay on the Peloponessos and visit Corinth, Epidaurus, Mistra, Olympia, Bassae, Monemvassia etc. ?
And maybe visit Hydra.
G.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 11:33 PM

ahotpoet,
Mykonos changed especially the last 15 years. What you surely will feel: the greed for money is all around.
But you will certainly meet old friends, sitting in Madoupas. Spiros is nomore, but his daughter has a restaurant near the new harbour: Mathios, who is a Xydakis from Ornos. Maybe you remember the Konstantis taverna in Ornos, run by Kostas and Dimitra Zouganeli. This family is still everywhere in Mykonos. Makis sold his Remezzo. An other family is still omnipresent: Koussathanas. And Andreas Koutsoucos sold his Pieros and lives now in Agios Ioannis. But Iīm sure you will find your way in Mykonos. The windmills (Sutton) are still there. Near the windmills the Xenos hotel has a new name: Theoxenia. But the Leto is still the Leto. If the hotel Delos is open, I donīt know. It was closed this May.
Gaspard
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 01:15 AM

So sad to read this post, I had the most magical time in Mykonos, about 23 years about this September/October. The weather was lovely , till we left , first week in October..
It was a busy island then( a party island of course) , but not too busy( and cheap, we managed to get rooms for less then 10 dollars a head) ,, I have always wanted to return, but perhaps memories are best left unscathed..
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 01:33 AM

Bozama,
donīt be sad and live in your memories. Make an update. You will feel younger after that.
G.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 03:28 AM

My heart wasn't broken when I first visited Mykonos four years ago. I found it to be a fantastic island, wonderful light and amazing colors. Possibly the prettiest little port town I've ever had the very good fortune to visit.

Of course, I cannot compare it with how the island was 20 or 30 years ago but what I found I simply loved. So much so, I re-visited a few years later.

milley
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 04:15 AM

Gaspard, Brotherleelove
Do you live in Mykonos? I have a zillion questions. I should probably find a map of the island and the town. Anybody got a link?Some memories are quite clear and others fuzzy (probably filtered through too much yaourti me meli)
It was a very "small town" in the off season.
Is the Spiro you are referring to the one who had a restaurant not far from Alefkandra? He has a few daughters. I only remember Voula since she was getting married to a soldier who was posted on the island and would soon be taking her away. Oh, the drama! I eventually moved to a farmhouse outside of town in THE COUNTRY. It was either a 5 minute run up the donkey path or a 15 minute walk on the road. Spiros farm was further up the donkey path and he was always kind to me and brought me fresh vegetables from his farm when he was on the way to town. He grew what he needed for his restaurant. I also ate free at his restaurant. I, in turn, used to go meet the ferry boats when they arrived at the port and get people to stay in the rooms he had behind the restaurant.
There was a shop on the main drag run by Alex Kontarinis. He used to make tea and serve macaroons made by his brother and sold at the cafe which was on the harbor. He was my guardian angel. Between his pidgen English and my stilted Greek with smatterings of German and French we managed to develop a great friendship.I can't imagine he is still alive but I would love to hear any news of the family. His nephew Costas would still be around, I am sure.
Is the 9 Muses still there? I cannot tell you how many nights I danced away there and then as the sun was coming up, made my way home to the sound of roosters crowing. I was there during part of the Piero era and was actually there opening night.
There are alot of other stories to tell but I am not that great a typist so they will have to wait.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM

Ahotpoet, here is an interactive map you may find helpful:
http://www.skymap.gr/?ElementId=36198
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Thanks. These names mean nothing to me. It cracks me up. When I was there, in restaurants we never ordered from a menu. We went into the kitchen to see what was cooking. I may have to go back just to get over the place.... or stay another year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -