My Problem

Mar 6th, 2001, 02:11 PM
ouf

My Problem

Traveling is my passion! I spend hours reading travel guides, watching travel programmes on TV and buying travel magazines.
I have learned so many things about so many places in the world although I have never crossed the borders of my country.
I have the money and I have the time. But I don't have the company to go with me. I am thinking of traveling alone but I am afraid that being alone, I will be depressed during my travel and that is something I don't even want to think about! I am afraid also of the reaction of my family and friends. If they learn about my intention of traveling abroad alone they maybe think I am crazy. You see traveling is not so much developed in my country as it is in the US or western Europe. Traveling here means only summer vacation in the nearby resort with friends or family.
But I want to travel. I need to travel! I feel miserable.

Mar 6th, 2001, 02:29 PM
Linda

Two suggestions: 1) Find someone who feels as you do to travel with. Makes it more fun.

2) If you can't do #1, then join a tour group. Some people would say it is not as much fun as travel by yourself, but, hey, it's better than no travel at all!

Mar 6th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Rex

From time to time there have been efforts to start small groups of Fodorites who would like to travel together. Although this has been slammed as "my tour business" - - I have no such business - - and I keep my mouth shit about wanting or trying to organize any such groups unless and until someone else suggests a (set of) destination(s), as well as a possible timetable.

One such possibility is the trip to Poland, Romania (and possibly Slovakia) netioned here by Art Hussey. To find it search the phrase "vlads castle" and look for the thread "Eastern europe in September". I assume that you are from Greece - - and maybe the Balkans are not of interest to you - - although Poland is not really part of the Balkans - - and the itinerary might diversify. For example, I have never been to Vienna or the Czech Republic (Art has) - - we might have subgroups doing different things.

If you are having trouble finding this thread describing Art's trip, let me know - - or someone else can top it. I won't top it any further myself because it attacts too much attention that I don't need anymore of. (I realize that you are probably quite new here - - and you may not have any idea what all this fuss is about - - neither do I, frankly).

Anyhow - - you could also write directly to me or to Art Hussey - - [email protected] - - we had hoped we could talk Ben Haines into joining us, but for now, Ben has declined.

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers
Westerville, Ohio (USA)

Mar 6th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Ugh!

Rex, you keep your mouth shit ????

Try some dental floss baby !

Mar 6th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Rex

Oh goodness - - mouth shUt...!!

Dave Downing - - are you out there? I told you we needed an "edit" (or delete) function! Can you fix this?

Mar 6th, 2001, 04:18 PM
topper

We all knew that your mouth was full of shit Rex, guess you had a little Freudian slip and admitted it yourself. Be sure to claim that you're no longer topping your posts and then post anyway! The truth is always revealed.

Mar 6th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Jessycat

I have to say that I am dismayed at the way the website "regulars" are behaving.. Is this supposed to be fun..?

By the way... Bitiani.....Where are you from??

Mar 6th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Lesli

While having friends to share things with can be fun, there are also lot of advantages to solo travel. Do a search here for "solo travel", "alone", etc. to see lots of encouraging feedback.

If you're excited about being at your destination, you're unlikely to be depressed just because you're there on your own - in fact, you'll be proud of yourself! And if you really want to go, you will do so, even alone, and even if others think you're "crazy."

You'll never regret doing something you really want to do. But you're bound to regret it if you don't.

Mar 6th, 2001, 05:40 PM
Barb

Give serious thought to joining a tour group that suits your interests. For example, there are many bicycle trips through France and Italy for all levels of bicyclers. There are also week long cooking courses (maybe longer) that include room and most meals and sightseeing. Many university extension programs offer educational tours to explore art from a specific era or anthropological or historical sites. You can buy the single supplement if you prefer not to share a room and you have built in dinner companions and sight seeing companions who share common interests. Indulge your travel interests and have fun! Don't worry about what others think of your solo adventures, if it is the way that you want to spend your time.

Mar 6th, 2001, 06:30 PM
may

Don't confuse distraction with passion my dear. One thing I say to myself when I feel a bit insecure traveling alone - "please dawlink, I vant to be alone..." Pretend you are a rock star or a famous artist who never has privacy or alone time. Life is too short to worry about what others will say...life is a banquet, don't starve yourself....! Remember, on your death bed-it won't be what you did that you will regret - it will be what you DIDN'T do...so if it is your dream - then go and go now. You will be amazed how friendly people are, how kind, and what good people will come your way. you will be enriched and blessed greatly. Lastly, bring a thin hard binded journal and take it out at the restuarant or any place at all and write away. It helps me a lot when I'm a bit out of sorts. Then later I read and enjoy the memory. God Bless...LP

Mar 6th, 2001, 07:32 PM
phil

Hello! I agree with May. i have traveled all over europe and asia by myself for business and found it very rewarding. choose your first trip to be an "easy" one to get confidense...amsterdam...london...munich are all friendly cities. when you get used to the traveling life then go to the outlying areas...amersfoot(holland)...oxford/woodstock(UK)...romantic road (germany).

Mar 6th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Betsy

Traveling solo is wonderful! Never do I feel more myself than when I'm traveling alone. I must rely completely on myself.If you're nervous about a first step, consider a tour as others suggest.That's what I did the first time and I made life long friends whom I still see. (If you'd like to know which tour I took just e-mail me) As others have suggested there are language schools, cooking schools a variety of ways to travel solo and still be in the company of others. Travel stores often offer classes to women who are thinking of traveling alone. Also try reading "A Journey of One's Own", (don't remember the author and its out on loan), and Gutsy Women Travel. Both are books of essays about travel adventures while traveling solo.
As to the reaction of others, I find that most people are envious at what they think is my "courage" to be "all alone". Its not courageious, its selfish. I don't want to worry about what someone else wants to do! If I only want to stay in a museum for 10 minutes or 10 hours it my choice. If I want companionship, I just sign up for a day tour, inevitably I'll meet someone to have dinner with that evening. Soemtimes I get lonely, but I get lonely here too. Frankly, I'd rather be lonely in Paris. Always have a good book to read and a journal to write in and you'll have something to do. And lonliness? That's what phone cards are for.
Don't wait! You'll never regret travel!
Betsy

Mar 7th, 2001, 01:49 PM
topper

to the top

Mar 7th, 2001, 04:10 PM
jo ann

I would agree with the poster who suggested that you try to find others who might want to travel. Altho I was a French major in college, I married early to someone who hated/refused to travel, so at 31 had still not made it to Paris (altho I was in the middle of divorcing....but I digress)
I got a phone call one day at work from a woman I had met at a busines luncheon about 6 months prior. She was evidently calling every person she knew and saying: I want to go to Paris, do you?
Well, I did, and about 3 mos later we met up at the airport (lots of conversation but no further face to face meetings), spent 2 weeks traveling France together and it was *splendid*. We both wanted to see everything, knew we couldn't, compromised beautifully, had lots in common (including needing to travel on the cheap) - it worked wonderfully!
I realize I was probably really lucky, but this just shows that it doesn't have to be a long-time friend to be a good travel companion.
Good luck!

Mar 7th, 2001, 04:40 PM
xxxx

With all due respect, if you really like traveling that much, you would had done it by now. I hope you are not wasting yours and my time, but here it goes....

As somebody who has found herself on that same predicament, I advise the following: pick an overseas destination where you already know the language (London?, Dublin?, Edinburgh?). Take a week off during shoulder season (late October to early May) when the airline tickets are at low, good, prices. Buy a ticket, make hotels reservations and GO. If you hate it you are only there for a week and didn't lose much. If you love it, it will wet your apetite, and you may then be ready to take on the next phase, which is a longer stay. Take bus tours during the day time, eat in small restaurants, take a good book with you at all times, don't be afraid of making friends with the bartender in a close, nice bar (notice I said friends). Just go and do it.

Mar 7th, 2001, 08:34 PM
matchmaker

pasting this in

Author: Diddy ([email protected])
Date: 3/07/2001, 3:41 pm ET

Message: Independent, shopping fiend, looking for a travel partner. I am 70,widowed, and a non-smoker. In great physical shape and just need female travel buddy. Please e-mail me if interested in going to Turkey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mar 8th, 2001, 03:11 AM
Ursula

Jessyca: "gr" *could* stand for Greece.

In Europe, if someone has a private e-mail-adress it's easy to make out where the person comes from:

de=Deutschand (Germany)
fr=France
be=Belgium
uk=United Kongdom
at=Austria
es=Espana (Spain)
it=Italy
ch=Switzerland (Confédération Helvétique)

So, have a guess where I am.....

Mar 8th, 2001, 05:14 AM
xxx

Just do a search on "hotmail.gr" in Yahoo, and it will confirm for you that people who use this as their e-mail address are generally from Greece. I looked this up the other night and it led me to some interesting sites, including www.hellenism.com which is a website for all sorts of people formerly from Greece or interested in Greek things. they also have a very nice looking free web-based e-mail service. Might even use that as my next e-mail address if I ever need one.

YKWIA

Mar 8th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Jcat

Grazie Ursula,
Good to here from you.

So bitiani... hasn't checked back in with us. Aughh.. I'd love to go to Greece!