Search

My Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Jennie

My Itinerary

It seems to be the thing to do here, so here goes. Some friends and I are going to Europe next year for 21 days (2 of which are allotted just for flying there/back) and have tentatively set out the following itinerary:<BR><BR>Fly into London<BR>London 4 days<BR>Paris 4 days<BR>Overnight train to Venice<BR>Venice 3 days<BR>Florence 2 days<BR>Rome 6 days<BR>Fly out of Rome<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for any input!<BR><BR>Jennie<BR><BR>

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Patrick

There could be a million opinions on this and you'll get lots. Many will tell you to just do one or two related places. You don't tell us if this is your first trip or whether you've been to any of these places. Assuming it is a first trip I say it is wonderful -- sure, busy, but most memorable. Unless you have some specifics for Rome including any longer day trips out, though, I'd probably take one or even two days from there and add to London and/or Paris. But I think 2 days in Florence is great (others will argue, but you can get there early from Venice and have that whole first day as well as much of the second day if you want). Unless you spend hours and hours in museums, I think Florence requires the least time of the cities you've mentioned, so you've done a great job, in my humble opinion.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:34 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jennie, Just my opinion, but any trip to Europe should include as much time in villages of less than 10k population as in cities of more than 100k. You will have 19 nites in large and intense cities and still not see Europe. Maybe that is for next year. Europe is so much more than the big cities.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:35 AM
k

Sounds like hte trip of a lifetime! have a great time!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Jennie

Patrick:<BR><BR>Thanks for your kind words. For 3 out of a group of 4 people, it is the first time. So we were trying to "hit the high points" as they say. To clarify, we do plan on taking a day trip to Pompeii from Rome. Also, two of us in the group have friends currently living in Roma, so we scheduled in extra time to just kind of "hang out" with them.<BR><BR>Thanks again!<BR>Jennie

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Patrick

Then don't change a thing!!! But I do agree with Bob, try to get out into the countryside a little. For me, just riding the trains and seeing the country makes me want to spend more time there. You don't give your age, but I suspect there are lots of years to go back!!!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Jennie

Hmmm . . . you guys are starting to talk me into trying to squeeze in a "countryside" visit. Still, we are planning this to be a "first of many" trip, so perhaps we'll do a "village only" trip in the future. We're in our late 20s/early 30s. Not babies, but still with lots and lots of good travel years in us! =0)<BR><BR>Thanks again to everyone who responded.<BR><BR>Jennie

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Steve

Personally I wouldntmiss Austria.At least take a day train to take in the scenery.After all, the next Pope may very well be Austrian!