14 days in Europe

Old Jul 8th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 days in Europe

Hello everyone!

I am going back to Europe next year and planing to stay 14 days. I just came back from London-Milan-Paris and I just love Europe! My itinerary is as follows: 2.5 days in Barcelona, 3 days in Rome, 2 days in Florence, 3 days in Paris or 1 city in Germany, and 3.5 days in London.

Any input which city in Germany I should visit? Munich / Frankfurt / Berlin perhaps?
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM

You must love to jump around to big cities. I would pick 4 destinations in one region and save myself a ton of travel time and expense. May I suggest Munich, Salzburg, Venice and Florence. Five countries in 14 days makes no sense to me without a private jet.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 02:42 PM

I have to agree with Bob. There is much more to Europe than just large cities. While many of them have some great things to offer, in a lot of ways they are just BIG cities with lots of hustle and bustle.

I would concentrate on one or two countries, whichever ones you prefer, and actually visit some smaller towns and see the countryside.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 02:46 PM

click on henryw's screen name to see his recent trip report . . .
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:00 PM

To help folks give you better suggestions, what did you like most on your last trip to London, Paris & Milan? You also went to Venice for a day, didn't you? What excited you the most and made you want to return? What gave you the most pleasure while you were there? Visiting museums, seeing architecture, walking around, sitting at cafes, taking pictures, talking with people?

Are you going all the way to Spain just to go to Barcelona? IMO, that is quite a bit of time used and money spent for a very short time. Spain is a fantastic country with lots of variety. You could easily spend your whole 14 days there, see a few of the major places and some of the interesting villages as well, and stay very, very busy for the whole time.

When you go to Paris this time, are you planning a day trip to Versailles or someplace out of the city? When you go to Rome, do you plan to visit anyplace south towards Pompeii or the AC, or any small towns like Orvieto? When you visit Florence, do you plan to see a bit of Tuscany or any of the incredibly lovely towns nearby like Siena? These are beautiful, important, amazing places, just as worthy of visiting as the major cities. If you haven't already done so, you might look at some of these places as possible day trips from your larger cities. If you did fewer cities, and saw some of the really neat stuff nearby, you would save a lot of travel time and a heap of money and actually see more of Europe. Just a suggestion.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:14 PM
ira

Hi hw,

>I just came back from London-Milan-Paris ......My itinerary is as follows: ...... 3 days in Paris or 1 city in Germany, and 3.5 days in London.<

If you slowed down a bit, you wouldn't have to keep repeating cities.

Two weeks is just right for the big 3 of Italy - Venice, Florence, Rome.

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

thanks everybody for the inputs. Definitely London is on my list, so pretty much I have 10 days to spare (planning to stay 4 days in London). When I travel I like seeing the architecture and doing a bit of shopping. I am not planning to visit smaller cities or villages due to time constraint. So perhaps I'll skip Barcelona and do the entire Spain next time. Does this itinerary make more sense perhaps:
Rome 3 days, Florence 3 days, Paris 2 days, Munich 3 days, London 3 days
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 09:13 AM

2 days in Paris is laughable, especially if you are including travel days --even if you have a private jet, it's a long trip from Florence to Paris. That means you truly only have one full day of sightseeing. Skip Munich and add 2 more days to Paris, 1 more to Rome. That would still be rushed to a lot of people, but you'd actually get to see something.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 09:24 AM

henry, I think you need to figure out the travel time needed to get from place to place as chery mentioned above. You might spend more time traveling than you realize.