Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My first trip to Spain-pointers, please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have Delta FF tix to fly into Barcelona and home(Atlanta) from Madrid. We have 7 nights in Spain, arriving on Thursday, April 23rd, leaving on Thursday April 30th.

We've done a fair amount of foreign travel, but have never been to Spain.

We love museums, historical sights, and unique architecture. I know that in Barcelona some of the must-see places are Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell and Catalonian National Museum of Art.

In Madrid we have targeted the Palacio Real, the Prado, the Reina Sofia, and the Thyssen-Bornemisza museum.

I know that 7 days is too short, but this is what I had to work with for a spring trip. Several years ago, we visited Italy with 11 nights, and were able to have a very successful multi-city visit, seeing highlights of Rome, Pompeii, Florence and Venice. I have the following questions:

1. How to divide the time between Barcelona and Madrid?

2. Is a trip to Granada to see The Alhambra a possibility?

3. What mode of transport should we use between cities--train, plane, or car?

I appreciate everyone's input, as Spain is a totally new experience for us.

Thanks, Barb
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 06:22 AM
yk

Hi Barb-

<i>1. How to divide the time between Barcelona and Madrid?</i>

4 nights in Barcelona, 3 nights in Madrid.

<i>2. Is a trip to Granada to see The Alhambra a possibility?</i>

NO.

<i>3. What mode of transport should we use between cities--train, plane, or car?</i>

Take the AVE (hi speed train). You can buy your train tickets in advance (at a deep discount) directly through Renfe.com. Go to Maribel's guides and there's a page which takes you through how to buy tickets online. You won't be able to buy your train ticket until closer to your departure date (can't remember if it's 60 or 90 days out).

Other must-sees in Barcelona include Casa Mila, Casa Batllo, and don't miss either the guided tour (or a concert) at the Palau de la M&uacute;sica Catalana. There's also a Picasso Museum in Barcelona.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM

I don't know if you have time to see the church in Montserrat, but it was truly spectacular. I took a train from Barcelona. Can't remember how long it took...Hopefully this website will be helpful:
http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...rat-spain.html
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 09:00 AM

I would vote to YK's information is best. You're going to have your plate already.

Blackduff
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 09:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I highly recommend checking out Maribel's guides to Barcelona and Madrid at www.maribelsguides.com.

I loved both Barcelona and Madrid. You might be interested in my Barcelona trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34955177

photos:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&amp;y=-o3uxdp
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 03:12 PM

Seven nights is about 6 days .
Madrid is a huge city. Although the museums are not far from one another , they take a very long time to see ( even if you &quot;target&quot; certain paintings or artists ).

Barcelona is smaller, easy to walk around and much more relaxing.
Considering you will lose half a day changing cities , I don't think you have time for side trips.
On the other hand, if you had a good trip to Italy visiting four cities in 10 days.... it is up to you.
I like both cities, but prefer Barcelona. We just got back a few weeks ago from the second visit.
We liked ( in addition to what you and yk mentioned ) Miro museum, Meritime Museum, Barcenoleta, the cable ride to Montjuic... the list goes on.
I agree with yk re .time split.

As you know, most museums are closed Mondays.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 05:52 PM

I agree forget about Granada and or any other place in Andalucia this time around.

Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 06:23 PM

4 nights Barca, 3 Madrid is also my suggestion. We flew iberia between Barca and Madrid for about 29e for the one way which was far cheaper and faster than the train. The high speed wasn't available to us at the time but you should check into that now. Forget about alhambra - its out of the way for such a short trip. The cathedral in Barca, the picasso museum, las ramblas, etc are also fun. Try to have dinner/tapas as Cal Pep in Barca; its outstanding and a real experience! You'll be seeing two great cities. Enjoy!!
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 06:37 PM

&quot;Try to have dinner/tapas as Cal Pep in Barca; its outstanding and a real experience! &quot;'

DITTO!
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 07:39 PM

You asked about the possibility of visiting Alhambra? Of course you can. To minimize travel time, you should fly Barcelona-Granada. Granada-Madrid is either by airplane or by bus. Of course, you should book the Alhambra ticket online so you are assured entries to Nasrid palace.

Whether it is an efficient use of your time or money is a different matter. Only you know about the value of visiting Alhambra for you.

I left my Barcelona hotel at 9am, took a taxi to the Barcelona airport, flew Iberia to Granada, and checked into my Granada hotel around 1pm.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input--I guess if I had just 1 or 2 days more, it would work to fit in Alhambra. I think I'll take the advice that says 4 nights Barcelona, 3 nights Madrid.

Nikki--I loved your trip report, and the apartment sounds very interesting. We always prefer an apartment if possible. Do you have a TR for Madrid?
Barb
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 07:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you enjoyed the trip report. I have two reports that have sections on Madrid as part of longer trips in Spain and Portugal:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35062668

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34841123
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 07:35 AM
yk

Hi Barb, I also have a TR from Feb 2008 to Spain. Barcelona is in the beginning, and Madrid is towards the end.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35111933
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 07:45 AM

With this little time I would NOT go out of the way to see the Alhambra (yes, I liked it but you'll want all those days for Barcelona/Madrid)

As to traveling between the two cities MAD/BCN....both Spanair and Iberia fly that route which is heavily competitive. Also, the low-cost carrier Vueling serves that route as well.

There are flights hourly almost and that takes about 1 hr and 15 minutes so if you left early enough you would not have to use up half a day.

But the time to get cheap tickets on their internet sites is NOW, not later.
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:36 PM

I thought the Alhambra was my highlight in Spain. I would hop on a plane and just go. You don't know when you will be back and it's amazing. You wont regret it. I'd cut a day from Madrid. after the Prado, it's not that exciting.

Have a good trip.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 12:34 AM

Here I am, disagreeing again: if you want to daytrip to Segovia or Toledo, you should schedule 4 or 5 days in Madrid (incl. daytrips).
Sunday is important! In Madrid it would be Retiro Park before dinner or el Rastro, if you are so inclined. If you decide to stay in Barcelona, Parc Guell is nice early in the day; then, in the evening you can watch people dancing the Sardana (Catal&aacute;n) on the steps of the Cathedral (No! not the Sagrada Familia).
You can find a better Seafood platter in Barceloneta than Madrid. On Sundays, many restaurants close after the midday meal. Fortify yourselves at lunch!
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 01:56 AM

Given your interests, a visit to the Palau Musica di Cataluyna in Barcelona should be high on your list. It is the most beautiful interior in Barcelona, and perhaps Catalonia. Google up some pictures to see what I mean.

The church of San Francesco in Madrid has an extraordinary domed ceiling painted by Goya. Not far from the church is the city's enormous rose garden in the Parque del Oeste, which in April should be spectacular. (And filled with youngsters dressed to the teeth surrounded by beaming relatives snapping their pictures). Close to there is the Temple of Debod, and it all makes for a terrific outing, especially on a Sunday. The cafes of Rosealdes are wonderful.

http://travelguide.affordabletours.c...Article/?id=71

One of the glories of Madrid beyond its amazingly good art museums is cafe hopping. And have a lunch in a unique historical building of great beauty, the Circolo des Bellas Artes.

http://www.circulobellasartes.com/ag...ta_virtual.php

I happen to love Madrid and have no warm feelings for Barcelona (I've no interest in Gaudi) but if you find yourself in Madrid and pining for something other than its urban glamor, I would head straight for Toledo, which has an extraordinary history and architecture and is one of the most beautiful places in Spain.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 01:59 AM

Sorry! I should have typed that the church with the Goya ceiling is the church San Antonio de la Florida

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...55C0A9639C8B63
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 01:20 AM

Oh, you need to get advanced tickets fro the Palau Musica di Cataluyna in Barcelona. It's beautiful. I thought it was the nicest building I saw in Barcelona. Go see a concert there.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 01:27 AM

Granada is very different from Barcelona and Madrid. It's really what you want to experience and what you like.

Granada charm lies in the Moorish culture and winding streets of the Moorish neighborhood and the amazing Alhambra. Barcelona is fun and modern (for Europe) it reminded me of my home town of San Francisco. Madrid is a grand European city, but it's a big city and to me at least not nearly as interesting as Rome, London, or Paris.

So, just think about what you would like to experience. These are all very different. There is not a bad choice here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -