Search

My first trip to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first trip to Europe

Hello!
I’m a solo, active, off-the-beaten-path, first time Europe traveler looking to experience the nature and culture of Europe!

My work is sending me to Elspeet, Netherlands to run a retreat for a week September 6-11th. From Elspeet my current plan is to head to Amsterdam for two days, take the train to Paris for two days and fly from Paris to end in Nice for 2 1/2 days before flying out at 6 am Saturday morning September 19th back to Minnesota.
Advice???????

Also I am a jewelry designer and I am hoping to find some vintage/old jewelry and beads at markets my new designs. This is the priority of my trip! Anything like this in the Netherlands? Paris? Nice? In between? What's your advice?? Where should I go for local markets and antiques? Are there any good bead stores, shops craft places in these locations? Are here better countries for this?

I am planning on flying out of Nice because I want to enjoy at least one day doing mostly nothing but relaxing and designing on the beach and Nice seems to be the closest to Paris. Thoughts?

Any thing helps!! Thank you for your time!
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 11:55 AM

Trains - Thalys trains link Amsterdam and Paris in about 3.5 hours but have a tiered fare system - the earlier you buy the cheaper, often dramatically the ticket can be - like 39 euros vs full fare of over 100 euros if you wait until Amsterdam or even more. www.thalys.com is the official site and easy to book on.

Also consider taking the train to Nice - about 5 hours - experience a high-speed - 185 mph - train experience (though Thalys has similar speeds) - and see the lovely French countryside en route - the heart of Provence - there is also an overnight train between Paris and Nice if that appeals to you - save time during the day and the cost of a hotel - anyways for lots of great rail info check: www.seat61.com - great info on discounted tickets - for Paris to Nice check www.voyages-sncf.com or www.capitainetrain.com - same trains different booking engines; for general info on French trains www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

Paris to Nice yes if going by train book as early as possible for same reasons given for Thalys tickets.
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you might like the Kröller-Müller Museum relatively close to your first base.

Paris markets and little shops lots to see and do.
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 12:36 PM

Every time you move it will cost you a half-day from your holiday (maybe excepting the internal move to Amsterdam.)
You have to pack/unpack, check out and then check in, sort out the train stations and local transport, etc. That's a big chunk of your very limited time. I'd leave southern France to the next trip. Nice is not my idea of a calm and picturesque retreat anyhow, unless you have a wealthy friend with a secluded chateau to shelter your creativity from that city's tourist pressure. The other cities on your list deserve more time, and have parks offering at least some chance of artistic contemplation.
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 12:40 PM

I am not sure I understand your definition of "off-the-beaten-path." The destinations you mentioned; Amsterdam, Paris, and Nice; are some of the top "on-the-beaten-path" destinations in Europe.
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 12:43 PM

https://translate.google.com/transla...m/&prev=search

Paris' largest flea market will probably have something to turn your head - Marche aux Puces.
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 12:48 PM

Hi Jes !

<<From Elspeet my current plan is to head to Amsterdam for two days, take the train to Paris for two days>>

Is that 2 days - 1 night? I wouldn't recommend that.

And moving so many times takes a big chunk of your time in train stations / airports and the travel time.

<<I am planning on flying out of Nice because I want to enjoy at least one day doing mostly nothing but relaxing and designing on the beach and Nice seems to be the closest to Paris. Thoughts?>>

To me Nice isn't a laid back and relaxed place at the beach. It's very crowded. The beach isn't a sand beach but rocks.
http://tinyurl.com/q9syjbj

Paris has a lot to offer in the way of little shops down side streets. Lots of unique stuff. You might also ask about those types of stores / areas on the Trip Advisor Paris Forum.

There are many quiet spots / gardens in Paris to sit and be creative and work on your jewelry.
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 12:49 PM

You are trying to do way too much in too short of a time. You lose much of a day traveling from place to place and spend quite a bit of money not having a chance to see much. I would only visit one or two destinations at most and save the rest for your return visit. Once you've been to Europe, the travel bug will have bitten you!

P.S. Off the beaten path really does not describe the locations you state you wish to visit. You could instead rent a car and visit small villages in the Netherlands which would be more of a less typical trip.
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 01:26 PM

I think it's exciting to go for the first time and for work, especially! I'm surprised you are so interested in Nice given your short time and the trouble/expense it will cost you. If you just want to go to a beach, there might be easier ways to do that at home.

They have some vintage jewelry at the St Ouen flea market on the northern edge of Paris, it's open every day. It's not cheap, generally (flea market in this case is really some antique shops). There are some specific bead shops up there, also, though, but it's large and you have to walk around a lot. But this is one of them, this is on the flea market's website
http://www.marcheauxpuces-saintouen....49&sr=0&page=2

IN Paris, the area for sewing notions, beads, etc. is around the garment area (around Sentier metro in the 2nd arr). Lots of shops on rue Turbigo, Archives, that general area, eg
http://www.friedfreres.fr/fr/index.htm
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 01:32 PM

I think it's exciting to go for the first time and for work, especially! I'm surprised you are so interested in Nice given your short time and the trouble/expense it will cost you. If you just want to go to a beach, there might be easier ways to do that at home.

They have some vintage jewelry at the St Ouen flea market on the northern edge of Paris, it's open every day. It's not cheap, generally (flea market in this case is really some antique shops). There are some specific bead shops up there, also, though, but it's large and you have to walk around a lot. But this is one of them, this is on the flea market's website
http://www.marcheauxpuces-saintouen....49&sr=0&page=2

IN Paris, the area for sewing notions, beads, etc. is around the garment area (around Sentier metro in the 2nd arr). Lots of shops on rue Turbigo, Archives, rue St Denis that general area, eg
http://www.friedfreres.fr/fr/index.htm

http://www.toutaloisirs.fr/

http://paris.cylex-france.fr/entrepr...-s-a-r-l-.html
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 01:49 PM

Cannes has a much better beach than Nice - nice sand vs Nice's pebbles - just about as close to Nice Airport as Nice itself.