Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My favorite wine: I wanna go to Euuuuuurope!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi all! <BR> <BR>another question(s) for all you oenophiles (and you know who you are...) <BR> <BR>first, does anyone have a favorite definitive (and TIMELY) wine guide which will give me hints on the wines to search for, by vintage, in various parts of France? <BR> <BR>I will be in southern France in September. Riviera and Provence, Paris for a few days. We'll have the car along the coast/Provence and will give it back in Avignon prior to heading to Paris... <BR> <BR>I know to look up Chateauneuf de Pape (but don't know what vintages to nab). Are there other wines I should definitely look into, which wineries which were your faves, that sort of thing? <BR> <BR>What I am hoping to do, is figure out what years are superb, what wineries are great, and figure out if the wine I am considering buying is truly a find or not. Just curious, I'll likely buy what I like anyway, whether or not I get a good guidebook, but it's fun to know what I am looking at/for. <BR> <BR>what are your sources for definitive wine guides? even to find the teeny weeny wineries... <BR> <BR>thanks all! <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Nancy

Beth, <BR>I've found the Wine Spectator web site to be helpful. (http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Spectator/homepage) <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Robin

Robert Parker's book on wine covers this area fairly well, although I don't know if it is the defintive guide.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Tom

The cotes du Rhones and the Chateauneuf du Papes were outstanding in 1998. My wife and I will be Avignon for 9 days in early September and we are hoping to visit Chateau Mont Redon, Vieuxe Telegraphe and Chateau Beaucastle for tastings. <BR> <BR>The Wine Spectator regularly lists outstanding wines for this area. They also occassionally provide a "vintage" card which indicates the very best years for a particular area. <BR> <BR>Tom

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Betty

Hi, Beth. If you can get hold of a May 1999 copy of "Bon Appetit" you will find a good article (about 3 pages) of info on Provencal wines entitled "Wines of the Sun," p. 75. I am not a connoisseur so I can't really vouch for the information given but it seems pretty detailed. I don't believe, however, that the author goes so far as to recommend specific vintages. The whole magazine is devoted to Provence and has a lot of other information about ingredients, recipes, Provencal glass, pottery and fabrics, and on and on. Should be interesting reading for anyone planning a trip to Provence. I wish you a wonderful trip!