My Belated Paris Report

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

My Belated Paris Report

So I boarded my flight early one Monday morning in December. I was excited, nervous, amped up, and even though I KNEW that the airport overcharged on food, I still found myself buying a yucky cup of coffee and a chocolate muffin.

The flight from SFO to Detroit was uneventful. I passed on the trail mix for a buck.

The Detroit airport is both beautiful and huge! I found a nice money exchange place and got a decent rate because I am a AAA member.

The flight from Detroit to Paris vi KLM was HEAVENLY!!! First off, half the plane was nearly empty...so just about everyone had leg room to stretch out---it was the same way on the return flight as well.

I haven't flown in a while, so I was totally surprised at the tv and movie options for free, all the free drinks they kept trying to give me (I declined on the alcohol for fear it would interfer in my energy levels). They served an excellant, more american style dinner and breakfast. Excellant!

Now here is the toughie----I was overwhelmed at the CDG airport. Going through customs was a cinch...but very little english was spoken, so I had to try my best with my french.

I think it was the combination of being tired, overheated ( I soooo did not need to have that huge coat I brought), and just overwhelmed. I walked and walked and walked and finally got to the train platform.....again, more confusion. After a long wait in line, I finally got my ticket for the train and then the connecting train. I was sooo overwhelmed.

Riding the metro was a bit difficult in that it was around 1pm or so and the train was a bit packed. I felt sooo out of place with my huge bag. But I finally made it to my stop...whew! All in all, if I had more energy, I would say that transportation was very easy. I would just suggest maybe getting one of those bags with the rolling wheels.

I got to my hotel in the 6th (i believe)..near Barbes Rouchecharts (sp?). My room wasn't ready, but they let me leave my bags.

Once I did get into my room, I was totally exhausted. Totally...went to sleep for a bit. I felt sooo silly cause when I looked around the room I felt a bit saddened at having no tv....then I realized that the tv was on a shelf high up on the wall. All the hotel rooms I was in in both Paris and London had tvs that were anchored.

The only bad part of the hotel (I was staying at a very cheap one, for sure) that was bad was that they really did not have my reservation, but honored the voucher I had from my travel agent. Also, the stairs were so small and windy and the carpet made it even more risky in terms of falling.

I will write more later.....
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:31 AM

how much later? we're waiting!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Fun report so far but don't be SHY about telling us the names of hotels, and such, since we are soooo anxious to hear more <G>
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Waiting....waiting.....
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Can't wait to read more!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 01:01 PM

late night writer...
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 08:52 PM

Milliiondollasbbw - trip report part 2

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34752541