My 1/2 Italy Weddingmoon

Search

My 1/2 Italy Weddingmoon

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1/2 Italy Weddingmoon

I want to thank all those who answered my questions before. Unfortunately, due to some ticket problems, we have to cut our weddingmoon from 22 nights to 12 nights next May. It's a big "shock" but we will try to make the best use of our time there.

With 12 nights, we will be flying into Florence and stay 3 nights. Then we will pick up a car to go to Pienza/Montalcino area for 5 nights (we will have our wedding there) and then drop the car and train to Venice for 4 nights and fly home from Venice.

I guess our itinerary is much simpler now and what I would like to know is where to pick up our car in Florence on the day to Montalcino (Sunday). Should it be the airport? After our stay in Tuscany, we plan to drop our car in Chuisi and train to Venice. Is Chuisi the most convenient spot for that purpose?

Thanks again. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 10:53 PM

What rental agency will you be using in Florence? Two operators which Auto Europe uses are located in Florence. One is open on Sundays and one is not. You will not have any use for a rental in Florence proper since major vias are closed to regular traffic and parking is next to impossible. Peretola, the airport is sort of out of the way unless you plan on flying inot FLR and picking your car up the same day.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 04:09 AM

An airport pickup in Italy usually has a 20% surcharge. With rentals in Italy quite expensive, this only adds a fairly costly surcharge. But airport locations usually have the best hours and sometimes car selection.
If you can find an agency open, it is very easy to drive OUT of Florence on the way to Montalcino.
Good luck.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:26 AM

Wow--after all that work and sweat on the 22 day version. I would get your car in Florence--not hard to drive out of town--and then return to the Florence airport and taxi to the train station. Chiusi is not that convenient for you and that train will stop in Florence anyway.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:17 AM
DRJ

When in Montalcino be sure to stop at the rocca for Brunello by the glass.

More importantly, when in Pienza dine at Il Rossolino. Seats twelve total with mom and pop in charge. Terrific!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Maxi:
It appears you can pick up the car at Auto Europe downtown Florence on Sunday.

Why did you choose Chiusi? Was there some special reason? If not, I would try to avoid transferring trains in Florence. You can drop the car off in Florence as discussed above.

Or---you could drive from Pienza to Bologna (about 2 1/2 hrs) and catch an express train to Venice (1 3/4 hrs). The total travel time would be about the same whether Florence or Bologna. But I would think the car drop off and getting to the station might be easier/faster in Bologna.

I don't know Bologna. But it appears the Auto Europe drop off at Le Pietramellara is right next to the station.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:25 AM

A couple of kilometers from Montalcino is a small walled village of Monticchiello. We had our best meal at Taverna Di Moranda. Make a reservation. It's closed on Friday's. Also, right outside of the gate is a small cafe which was great for coffee, wine, and views of sunset.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 12:44 PM

I agree with Budman about it being a good place to eat, but be aware it is a :40 drive from Montalcino.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your replies and recommendations.

Needless to say, I was very shocked and disappointed to learn that there is a problem with the tickets. We're trying to find a solution and negotiate with with the airline but I don't see many alternatives.

Let's see what happens.

I will listen to you to drop the car either in Florence or in Bolonga and train to Venice. About the pick up on a Sunday, which place in town do you suggest for a easy drive out?
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 04:03 PM

Bob, you are right. It's about 18-20 miles from Montalcino. I was thinking of Pienza, which is just down the street.