Search

"Must-sees" in Mallorca

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Must-sees" in Mallorca

Hi everyone,
Will be on Mallorca in late April. Hoping to visit non-touristy sites and places - any recommendations? Hoping to get some swimming done: is it usually "swimmable" in late April? I'm purposely visiting outside the touristy months.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 09:04 AM

I probably wouldn't swim in the Mediterranean in April even if someone pay me for doing it...but you can try and see for yourself
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 04:44 PM

It's outside the "touristy" months because it's too cold to swim in the sea. And many resort hotels may not even have pools open. I would check before making any solid plans.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 03:05 AM

I have always been swimming in Mallorca in April - expect sea temperature around 70/72 F.

To be frank: There are no non-touristy sites on Mallorca, however it is still a very beautiful island.

You will probably enjoy most the western shore - here the landscape is most dramatic and the area is least populated. You should rent a car and drive along the coast. Must-sees on this trip include Valldemossa (mountain town/convent), Soller (old trading town, orange groves) and Sa Calobra (dramatic landscape).

Some less touristy sites nearby include Castell d'Alaro (a nice hike up onto a mountain with picturesque ruins) or having a suckling pig meal in the tiny mountain village of Orient.

The must-sees include the capital, Palma, of course: the cathedral, the castle, the Gaudi buildings, the Miro workshop.

Of course, there are some more sights (the caves of Drac'h, coastline, Fincas, museums), but the western shore, where the Tramuntana mountain range meets the sea, is certainly most attractive to the more demanding traveller.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Traveler1959 for a very thoughtful message: exactly the kind of info I was looking for. LouAnne
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 02:21 AM

having a car for part of the time is a good idea if you don´t mind driving, however, many of these towns are very well connected by bus.. just have to learn the schedule.

mallorca is a HUGE island and driving is slow going along the coast.

I visted some lovely caves there and there was a concert also. (years ago). i had no car and got around fine. things have probably improved.

but nowadays, going with my family, i would rent a car if i intended to be bopping around alot from end to end.

i understand there are some new hip lodgings in the old town.

also, the hotel formentor has been used at world summits.. it is on the tip of the island and impressive.. at least stop for a coffee.

http://www.hotelformentor.net/
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, lincasanova - driving is a big question for me... because I travel alone, I usually prefer public transportation because I don't know the roads well enough for driving - and I also think it's safer to use PT. However, I'm not adverse to renting for a specific trip where conditions are right. I might just do that in Mallorca if there is somewhere I wish to go which PT does not allow for.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 09:49 AM

see www.a2zmallorca.com
www.mallorcaonline.com
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

good websites - thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM

I had the pleasure of working in Mallorca for a month and highly recommend renting a car. The island is not that big--multiple day trips from the Palma area are possible. I think relying on PT would really limit the number of locals that you could check out.

I also recommend checking out accomodations on fincas--there are numerous old, large farmhouses that have been converted into really beautiful lodgings.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

sfmama- thanks for the tips!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Two abbeys welcome guests to stay or just eat in. The one to East is worth a tea time break while the one in the North West (yes I was map reading) has a great restaurant.

Large Bird sanctuary in the North butting up against the Western Mountains

The Abbey where George Sands lived is a bit over touristified for me so i would not bother but the walks from there are great on a fine day.

One AC quality vineyard area.

The little train is very sweet.

There is a glass blowers in the South East where all the great blown chandaliers of Europe come from. If that is your things (is mine) then worth a drop in but for heavans sake keep away from the pearls made of fish scales

Car or bike it all depends on your thighs
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Bilboburgler, please tell me where those abbeys are: I'm very interested in visiting them. LouAnne
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Valldemossa is a former abbey where Chopin and George Sand spent a winter. It is certainly touristy, but for good reason. It is one of the must-sees, not only because of the building and the little museum but also because of the village and the location in the mountains.

A working abbey is Lluc or Monasterio de Nuestra Senora de Lluc, also in the Tramuntana Mountains. The attraction is a small black statue of St. Mary. The abbey offers simple and inexpensive accomodation. However, the location is somewhat remote, especially if you do not have a car. And it is not so spectacular; I would not include it in a "must-see list".
In the East there is the Monasterio de Sant Salvador right up on a hill. I have not been there; but I would not include in the shortlist either.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, good info.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:56 PM

Biloburgler,
Could you give me more information about the glassblower--his/her name and address?

Louanne,
We'll be in Mallorca in April too!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 03:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think its time to hit the library. It is a big glass works
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Artlover, were are you staying in Mallorca?? I'm staying at the Palau Sa Font in Palma.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 12:00 PM

louanne,
sorry i didn't get back sooner, but for some reason, i haven't been able to post in the past few days (kicked off...withdrawal, awful )

anyway, we're staying at a timeshare--Mediterranean Club Cala Pi at Llucmajor. If you give me your e-mail address, I'll e-mail you and maybe we can get together. We'll have a car, so maybe we can rideshare if we both want to go to some of the same sites.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

artlover: yes!!! I'd love to meet up I'll be in Mallorca for 3 nights. Arriving April 23, departing April 26. e-mail me at [email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -