must see in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
must see in Venice

We will be in Italia in late March, Venice
then Florence , and on to Rome. Three days
in each city, since we wont have alot of time--- what would be the MUST See attractions?
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 07:05 PM
rex

Well, these people Do write this stuff for a living...

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...;feature=30002

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 09:07 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to Venice in June last year. I have posted a trip report and pictures on my personal homepage www.gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there. Have a great trip.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 06:50 AM

Goodmorning, did the same thing, 3 nighs in each however we started in Rome again, due to air restrictions.
In additiion to Fodors', here are a couple of good sites on Venice to surf out:
www.turismovenezia.it/
www.charmingvenice.com/
www.gpnet.it/
www.veniceworld.com/
www.meetingvenice.it/
www.venezia.info.citta.it/
www.actv.it/ingelse/preservi.htm/
www.comune.venezia.it/
www.tin.it/fenice
www.veniceinfo.it/
www.elmoro.com.
The main must sees are the main tourist attractions all very reachable
by walking within Venice. A trip by the
slow vaporetto from the Railway station to the Pza S. Marco. The top of the Campanile, the bells at noon. from the campanile from the San Giorgio. Walk lcompoletely thru Venice
into Dorsoduro, Castello and all the
others. Good maps can be obtained froim the Venice Card should you purchase the card or free from the tourist office at the southwest end of
the Pza S. Marco.What museums you wish to visit are related to your personal tastes, what can be highly recommended by one writer might not be your cup of tea....I could go on and on about one of my favorite spots in EUR, Venice, Have a good trip. Richarad of LaGrange Park, Il..
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 08:54 AM
mio

I will be taking the same trip in May!! and am anxious to gather any and every king of information I can. I think we must have booked the same trip but mine is the Spring special. You must post your tips. I'm specially anxious about the train transfers from city to city and how much luggage to bring since we are doing alot of train travel. I did book a few attractions, mostly in Florence, but have nothing planned for Rome. What are you guys doing?
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 04:59 AM

If you enjoy paintings then the Academia is a must see. Great & beautiful paintings from 1200 on. Having been to the prime mueseums in Florence, Rome, Milan & Paris, Academia
ranks with those for paintings.
The Scuola Grande Rocco is a very beautiful palace, kinda of a guild hall. Very ornate, great frescoes, even fantastic wood sculptures. Take a CD or MPEG player with you and listen to some music as you view the wonders. Actually try this at many places, it adds another element to the surrondings. There are also classical music concerts performed in some of the pallazzos, from small quartets to larger ensembles. Some are held in places that are not open to the public.
Listening to live music, excellently performed, in these buildings, fanatstic. If you haven't been to Italy before then many of the churches will amaze you. If you have then Venices churches are less gaudy, not as prettyp then many other areas of Italy. However there still are a lot of fine paintings in the churches.
Dei Frari, Miracoli, Peter & Paul are a few of the better. Behind the left back side of Miracoli is a nice , small piazza with a good view of Miracoli and a small piazza with mostly locals and a good cafe with friendly owners, even at 48 degress sitting in the cafe outside here was very pleasant. A visit to the Rialto market, in the morning, to see the activities of the fishmongers & produce sellers is fun. The fishmongers are hams when it comes to photos and many do very funny things with their product if you ask to take their photo. I have found that if your taking pictures of shop or stall owners without asking they are kinda of ambivilent, but if you ask, their sense of pride comes out about their stall/shop and they will engage you more. Then you have the usuall must see's Pizza San Marco, Duomo San Marco, the Doge's Palace ( must tour this), and the bell tower. Across the canal from there is San Giorgio, with it's bell tower, a few palzzos like, Ca D' Oro and Rezzinico. If you have time for any of the islands near Venice, select Burano. It is a very pretty island where it's all very small homes with brightly painted houses, very tranquil as opposed to Murano with it's glass manufacturing & shops.