Reload this Page >

Must I reconfirm?

Search

Must I reconfirm?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 03:11 PM
sue

Must I reconfirm?

I have made my hotel reservations for September in Paris. I've received FAX and email confirmations. Do I need to reconfirm a few days before I go? Will this give the hotel (Hotel Fleurie) an opportunity to tell me they don't have my room if they're over-booked?

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 03:22 PM
Thyra

Yes definately reconfiram, preferebly by email, but BE SURE and carry copies of your confirmation fax and emails with you when you arrive. More then once these pieces of paper have saved me when a clerk wrote incorrect dates in the book.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 04:28 PM
lcuy

I say NO. if they have overbooked or otherwise need your room, it is very easy to tell you this when you can still make other arrangements and are not in the lobby to throw a tantrum. You have a confirmation in writing. Make certain you take it with you, and if they don't have a room, they will be much more likely to find you one.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Danna

sue... I would reconfirm if for no other reason than to have an in person confirmation.....

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 04:26 AM
s.fowler

Once confirmed with a fax in hand [a fax is best because of the information that gets printed across the top] don't reconfirm! Here are two posts from a recent thread on Hotel St. Louis in Paris.<BR>----------<BR>Author: s.fowler ([email protected])<BR> Date: 06/26/2001, 04:16 pm ET<BR><BR>Message: Okay -- devious thought time. Has anyone had a faxed confirmation and arrived at the Paris hotel and been told "no room"? My thinking here... maybe the people who DO call to confirm are the ones they cancel, because they're on the phone? Maybe they solve their overrbooking", by penalizing the rsponsible ones? Or am I too suspicious by half? <BR><BR>Author: tani ([email protected])<BR>Date: 06/27/2001, 04:01 am ET<BR><BR>Message: Once I have a written (fax, email) confirmation, I NEVER reconfirm<BR>hotels. S. Fowler has it right. It is much easier to tell someone who has not<BR>arrived that they've been dumped (oops, bumped) then it is to a person who is in<BR>the lobby with suitcase. In their mind, the worst you can do over the phone is<BR>get angry and they say "sorry" and hang up. I come in expecting my confirmed<BR>room, and if they don't have it we sit there till they make other arrangements to get us out of there. I've had this happen several times. We are never rude, but just sort of park ourselves in the lobby and they usually find a room. <BR>--------------

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 01:17 PM
sue

Still torn....anyone else?

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Myer

I have never reconfirmed. Probably because it didn't occur to me. Having read what happend to a few others reminds me that a similar problem happended to me about five years ago.<BR>I stayed at the London Palace in Paris (yes Paris) two blocks from the old Opera Building. We stayed for a couple of nights and then left for the rest of our trip. We had reservations for one last night to catch a flight back to the U.S.<BR>When we arrived at the hotel we were told that there was some sort of water or electrical problem and that our room was not available. We suspected that our 1 night was bumped in favor of longer stays.<BR>They found us another hotel and paid for our cab fare. However, while the hotel was fine and not very far, the location was just a little bit off and we should has cabbed it for dinner rather than eat down the tsreet. Will know better next time.<BR>The next trip we stayed on the left bank at a Best Western called Hotel Left Bank (great name). We recommend it. Right next door to Procope of Napoleon fame.