Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Admission to Florence museums is free on Sep. 29!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Cassie

I just finished calling to make my reservations for the Accademia and the Uffizi at the end of September and was delighted to find that during that week, no admission fees will be charged. Reservation fees are still being charged, though. In any case, I am certainly glad that I have reservations for the museums. The non-reserved lines will probably be even longer than normal because of the free week. Just thought that I'd share the good news.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Ela

Really?! Do you know the reason that they aren't charging fees for this week? I hope I get to benefit from this

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Cassie

The reservation lady said that it is a "Promotion Week" to encourage people to visit museums. I'm not sure what that means...I would think that these museums receive tons of visitors without needing a promotion week. Anyway...be sure to make reservations if you are visiting during this time!

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Steve

Which week is the promotion...the week ENDING, or beginning, Sept 29 (since we arrive in Italy ON the 29th.....

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Ela

Yes, I had the same question - Sept. 29 is actually a Saturday, so does that mean the free prices starts on Sat. or ends on Sat.?

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 06:54 PM
jed

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Cassie

I only have Saturday the 29th to visit the museums in Florence and I know for sure that the 29th is free. I'm not sure if it is the week before or the week after that is free. Call 011-39-055-294-883 to make your reservations and you can ask. The lady I talked to spoke English well and was very nice. She gave me my reservation number for each museum and said that it was good that I was making my reservations so early since the week of the 29th would be free admission.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 02:32 PM
Phil

I was in Florence during the last week of September, 2000 and found the same arrangement -- no charge for either the Uffizi or the Accademia during the last weekend of September. However, please recognize that both museums will not honor reservations for the "free" days. We had reservations set well in advance of our stay, and were advised (at the museum entrances) that there were no reservations for the free days. Be prepared for extra long lines.