Search

Must do's in Austria?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must do's in Austria?

Hi!
We're planning a week trip to Austia on Nov 1st? Any recommendations on "must do's" that time of year? Also - is it too much to attempt Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck area in one week?
Appreciate any advice!
Thanks.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:05 AM

Welcome to the board, LindyE!

"Must-do's" depend a lot on your likes/dislikes, first trip?, other places on this trip?

Perhaps you could tell us your tentative plan. Then we might have some suggestions.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:15 AM

I would say limit yourself to Vienna (4 days) and Salzburg (2 days) with a stop in Durnstein and Melk Abbey (1 day). Of course, much depends on how you will be traveling -- car or train? Anyway, you should be able to get endless ideas/information by doing a search on Austria.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:33 AM

Salzburg - at least 2 days in the city

near Salzburg - Ice caves at Werfen and Salt Mines at Hallein (if either are open that late in the season)
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 02:21 PM

I would want to spend at least 2 nights in Salzburg and 3 in Vienna. For the remaining 2 nights I wouldn't go to Innsbruck. I would pick a smaller place such as Durnstein or the area around Hallstadt. Where are you flying into??
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 04:54 PM

Lindy,

Austria is strikingly attractive country, though it should be noted November, as regards climate and other tourist-related reasons, isn't the most ideal time to visit. Still, you'll no doubt have a terrific time.

Allow me to suggest that you limit your visit to no more than Salzburg and Vienna. The former is a lovely, elegant city, oozing Old World charm. You'll want a minimum of two full days in Salzburg.

Southeast of Salzburg is Hallstatt, a beautifully situated village with several noteworthy attractions, including a salt mine and a nearby network of ice caves. Given your one-week vacation, however, you may wish to pass on a two-day stay around Halstatt for an extended stay in Vienna. On route to Vienna you should make a point of seeing Melk Abbey and, for a sobering and thought-provoking glimpse of World War II history, a visit to Mauthausen Concentration Camp. Vienna, of course, warrants more than a few days' stay.

Best of luck.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded!
We don't have a schedule or a plan yet.
This will be our first trip to Austria. I'm hoping November isn't going to be yuk weather - but - it's when will work in our schedule! So we go!
It sounds like Vienna and Salzburg are where we should concentrate our time. Any suggestions on hotels?
Do you think train travel will work?
My daughter is planning on coming with us and would love to have a day to ski - is this possible anywhere near Salzburg?
Again - thanks for the advice.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:32 PM

If you can, do visit Halstatt. It's one place, time being no issue, I thought I'd love to stay. I only had a day here (between Salzburg and Berchesgaden). Personally I didn't think Innsbruck was that great.