Reload this Page >

Must chose either Salzburg or Vienna??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Jill

My husband says too much hopping around from city to city, country to country and I agreed to limit Austria to just one city and just do day trips from that city. Which city would you chose for 5 days Salzburg or Vienna? We will take a day trip (or maybe 2) from there. I really need your help! Jill<BR>P.S. We're not into classical music concerts.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 09:58 AM
s.fowler

Vienna - hands down -- although it would depend on what other cities/places you are visiting and how long you are staying in each place.<BR><BR>There was a recent thread on day trips from Vienna. You might try to find it for ideas.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Theo

If you're not into classical music, you don't need 5 days in either city. It's only a short 4 hr "hop" on a train between the two, so it's not such a big deal. Actually for day trips, I think there are more choices from Salzburg.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 11:36 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jill, I would do Salzburg because of the day trip potential. Think St. Gilgen, Hallstatt, Berchesgarten et al.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 11:50 AM
BTilke

Jill,<BR>I had to make this decision last year--my parents came over for their 50th anniversary and we debated whether to take them to Salzburg or Vienna. I finally chose Vienna and I'm very glad we went there. I did the day trip to Salzburg and the train ride was pretty but also pretty long, especially as it was a scorching hot day and when you don't have a hotel room to crash in, you more or less have to keep moving. Made the trip back seem longer than it really was (which was long enough!) Salzburg was nice, but I love Vienna--it is filled with things to do AND has lots of day trip possibilities as well. <BR>The Viennese themselves listen to more than classical music--if you're staying in a good hotel, ask the concierge or manager to recommend venues for the type of music you like! Vienna is beautiful both by day and at night (and safe)...<BR>BTilke

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Doug

Another day trip from Salzburg would be Munich. It's only a couple of hours.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Gerry

Jill:<BR>I spent 4 days in Vienna and found plenty to do. After 1 day in Salzburg I could find nothing left to see, so I got on the train and went to Munich.<BR>Just a comment: I don't know how long your trip is, but your husband may have a good point. I've found that after about 10-12 days of traveling you need a rest. If hopping from city to city or country to country, it's best to just park yourself somewhere for a few days and take a break. If I don't, everything seems to turn into a tedious blur and I find myself wishing for home.<BR><BR>Have a great trip,<BR><BR>Gerry<BR>

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Al Godon

I make a motion that Jill's husband stay home and let her take along someone else who is interested in seeing Europe.<BR>That "too much hopping around" idea is balderdash, of the unadulterated variety. <BR><BR>If you take day trips are you not "hopping around"??? How does a hop to Vienna differ from a hop to Munich, with the exception that Vienna is about an hour long on the train? With all that day tripping, you actually spend more time riding than you do by "hopping".<BR>That is the primary reason I think it is balderdash. The second reason is if you make the overhead payment to travel to Europe, a 320k trip to Vienna from Salzburg is miniscule in terms of the total distance traveled. So it is double balderdash. <BR>

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 12:38 PM
s.fowler

Hey Al! CHILL.<BR><BR>The "hopping" refers, I am sure, to the packing and unpacking involved. Each of us travels differently -- she's asking for advice not judgment!<BR><BR>I'll reiterate for Vienna -- there are plenty of delights -- don't forget Grinzing [for the winestuden] and taking a stroll in the Prater [or riding the ferris wheel] -- those would be very relaxing as well as unique activities.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Gerry

Al:<BR>Jill has not told us what else(if anything ) they are doing on this trip. She didn't say they were only going to Austria.<BR>I am only suggesting that if they have already been to 8 cities and 5 countries in 10 days, it might be a good idea to take a break. It's much easier to do day trips than it is to change cities, countries and hotels every night. And you get to know the place better. If you don't stop moving, after a while you don't even know where you are. <BR>Why is it that whenever someone tries to offer their experience or advice, someone else has to jump all over them and accuse them of being an idiot?<BR>Perhaps this is the best way to get people to ask questions and reply to posts?<BR><BR>Gerry<BR>

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Bob Brown

I am planning to base myself at a hotel about 4 kilometers from downtown Salzburg this September so I can drive around over that region. That way I will have a base and can come in late withsout having to find a new place to stay. I will also rent an apartment for a few days near Innsbruck and dothe same. <BR>I think the decision should be based on whether or not you want to be in a smaller city or not. In 5 days, there will be time to look around Salzburg for two days and spend two days roaming, with one day left over for either activity. <BR>Five days in Vienna would be quite adquate. As I mentioned earlier, I was there 3.5 days last year and missed a couple of places I had on my list because we simply ran out of time and energy. <BR>I will visit those places first when I get there this time.<BR>One thing about basing yourself for several days in one place, if you are tired of going, you can restrict your activities for a day or so and recharge the energy level.<BR>

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 09:59 PM
Jill

Thanks guys for the shared information. I'm sorry if I made my husband out to be less than the terrific person he is....I guess I should have said that he works and travels constantly with his job (practically lives on an airplane and in a hotel!) so when we have a 2 week vacation, he wants some "down" time and hates being in a new hotel each night, packing and unpacking (one of the reason he liked the Mediterranean cruise we did 2 years ago). This trip we are concentrating mostly on Switzerland with several days spent in Prague as well. This will leave us 4 days or so to see one other city/country (we both seem interested in Austria). I originally had us 2 days in Vienna and 2 days in Salzburg with a train trip going and coming. My husband is right....it was getting too much. <BR>Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate it. Jill

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Maureen

Jill, <BR>In case you want yet another opinion.... My husband and I just returned from a 2 week trip to Austria and Switzerland. Five days is a long time for either Salzburg or Vienna, but if I had to choose it would be Salzburg hands-down. There are many little day trips that you can go on from Salzburg to see the beautiful countryside and lakeside of Austria including St. Wolfgang, Bad Ischl, Berchesgarten, St. Gilgen, Hallstadt, etc. Vienna is very nice as well so you can't lose with either decision you make. We had such a wonderful vacation. Feel free to Email me with any questions.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 12:40 PM
michelle/nyc

part of the charm of Salzberg is that it's a smaller city than Vienna... you can see the mountains that surround Salzberg! both obviously have a lot of culture... however, Vienna will have more choices to choose from... more concerts, theatres, operas, museums. I loved Vienna... however, preferred Salzberg!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:48 AM
Mike

If it's any use, I see Vienna as one of the grandest cities of Europe, and Salzburg as one of the more romantic/quaint.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 04:19 AM
Lucy Jacobs

Jill, take Vienna by all means. If you're not into classical concerts, you can do Salzburg in one day. Vienna has so much more to offer. Of course if you have a car, you can easily take day trips to the lake region near Salzburg (for example Wolfgangsee where former German chancellor Helmut Kohl spends his holidays). Just a thought.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Lynn

It's been several years since my visit, but I did not enjoy Vienna a lot. There are some "must see" places, granted, but for a nice relaxing time, I'd choose Salzburg. My husband and I spent several days there a few years ago (and one extra day due to food poisoning) and were glad for the slower pace, day trips, nice places to eat, etc.