Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Colmar - Maison Jund - Anyone stayed there?

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 03:59 AM
Launa

We are travelling to France next May/June and will be spending three weeks in the Alsace area. We have decided to base ourselves in Colmar, lease/rent a car, and travel out from there each day. We have read about Maison Jund in Rick Steves' France book and wondered if anyone has stayed there. We emailed the given address but haven't had a reply as yet.

If you have other suggestions - we are on an accommodation budget of approx. 350FF per night (double). It would be good to have a place where we could make our own coffee, breakfast etc. occasionally. Any comments or suggestions?

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 08:14 AM
richardab

Actually... I wouldn't stay in Colmar at all! I found it to be uninspiring and dull. I switched my hotel from Colmar to a little village near Riquwihr after my first night. The small villages and surrounding are very nice and quaint. Colmar is a bit surburban. Once you see the countryside you may agree. In case you decide to stay in Colmar I would avoid the Hotel Le Marechal, its not as romantic as their brochure reads. If you are intersted in a small hotel I stayed in near Riquwihr please send me an Email (I am at work and I forgot the name). It was a chale style motor inn with good parkeing, nice rooms (including suites), huge bathrooms and a friendly staff. The prices are cheap, this will help you save money to spend in the great restaurants in Alsace! I will post the name on here later today in case anyone else was wondering.

Have you considered Stausbourg? A very nice city with great shopping and restaurants!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 10:38 AM
Istayed

Yes --don't listen to him-It was a lovely half timbered city with a museum lots of shopping,and a great base for visiting the little wine villages-In fact I have traveled all over Germany (as my father was born there) and I liked it just as well if not better than many so called great places in Germany-The lady who rents the Maison Jung is wonderful and speaks English It is located just one block off the main street. She gave us an apartment. It had a eat in kitchen ,bath and large living area with table and a double bed. All this for $35.00 a night. The building was old and it is a place for university students--Lots of exposed pipes, uneven walls,odd woodwork but hey it had a great view of a couryard where they keep the winemaking stuff. They also had a room under the eves they were renovating ahen we were there.My guys thought it was good and for 35 dollars they were thrilled!!!We had privacy and our own entrance.Steves does pretty well on advice for cheap rooms but I would ask the owners on advice on where to eat as his recommendations on food are not always so reliable

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:10 PM
richardab

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Launa

Many thanks for your replies so far! Keep the ideas rolling in - we are travelling with open minds.

I was really glad to hear from someone who has actually stayed at Maison Jund, but I am keeping your opinions in mind too Richard. And yes, I would like the address of the hotel you speak of. Thanks.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 07:00 PM
richardab

The hotel is called the HOTEL LE MANDELBERG and it is located outside of Riquewihr in a sleepy village called MITTELWIHR. The rates for a room are 420FF (US$58) for a room with bath and balcony. The rate for a Triple is 660FF (US$91). The fax is 03 89 49 09 48. I am not sure if they have a Email or a websight. Check back to my websight from time to time. Sooner or later I will add a section on my Alsace travels.

http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:46 AM
justme

Sorry Richard I meant know offense--Just loved the place