musical venues in Tuscany

Old Nov 14th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
musical venues in Tuscany

I will be bringing 6 of my piano students to Tuscany during April Spring break 2014 for a "musical sojourn". The students range in age from 13-18 years. They will bring other orchestral instruments as well. Students will participate with an Italian music school culminating in a final public performance of classical music.
Our itinerary includes:
Florence-- dell' Accadamia gran Ducal collection of instruments, Renaissance Court Banquet at Palazzo Borghese that includes harp, flute, voice with audience participation in courtesan dancing
Lucca-- Puccini Concert, Caffe di Simo live music in the evenings
Siena--Piccolomoni Library with hand painted manuscripts
Montecatini -Opera Festival
Any information on musical venues in Tuscany to include in our schedule would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 07:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In Florence, there is a small church that holds musical performances almost every evening. The main feature for the past few years has been the church's pipe organ, but we've also seen/heard an antique harpsichord, violin, etc. Tickets are reasonable. Near Via del Corso 36.

St. Mark's Anglican Church in Florence (Oltrarno) has opera performances, but the tickets aren't cheap.
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Jean! I am going to research both venues but the first one sounds perfect!
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 04:13 AM

I would think also that some of the lovely handcrafted musical instruments have workshops or retail outlets or such in the area. Here's a thread (a bit old but with still enough detail to launch more current research). You could consider to email and arrange a short visit and "tour" of your small group.

http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums?a...5&m=4021087712
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 06:08 AM

What a delightful experience for you and your students! There is a famous music academy in Siena, with performances by known and unknown artists. Look at www.chigiana.it

Carol
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Carol and Laurie Thank you for 2 great ideas for cities we already plan to tour-perfect! Researching!