Search

Music in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Holly

Music in Venice

Is it true there's no outdoor music in San Marco in March?

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Book Chick

Can't speak about March specifically, but when I was there in May & June, yes, there is an orchestra that performs in the Piazza. <BR>BC

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Myer

Don;t know about March. I've been there end of June and late September. <BR>There isn't just orchestra. There are several 5 piece groups that are hired by the restaurants in the Square. They rotate taking turns for about 10 minutes each. It is almost a competition to see who can draw the most customers. <BR>Most people stand at the back just beyond the tables that have crept into the square. <BR>We had a Capuccino and Coke in the Square during the afternoon. $18US and probably worth it although we didn't do this on our second visit. <BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Holly

Thank you for your replies. Now, does anybody know the answer to the question?

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 07:18 AM
Brain Trust

They play as long as the weather permits them to be outside; when it rains they're not there. <BR> <BR>It is remarkably disingenuous to thank people who have not assisted you. Don't thank me either, as I will never again reply to one of your posts. <BR>The Brain Trust

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Holly

Brain Trust: I thanked them for their replies since the information they provided may be of use to other people reading this thread. However, I was still seeking an answer to my question, which specifically addressed the month of March.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 10:00 AM
sandi

Holly, you might try www.veniceword.com. It shows schedules of music, art shows etc. I know there's a calendar of events, it might be worth a try.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Daphne

I was disappointed in 1996 at the Piazza San Marco. There was a group of 5 or 6 musicians. It was in the late spring or early fall. I thoght there would be a full orchestra as there was in the film "Summertime" with Katherine Hepburn. Has the salary of musicians gone up that much since the 1950's?

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 06:10 PM
righton

You go Holly!!! I'm with you. People ARE kind to respond and exchange information and should be thanked but it is SOOO frustrating to read replies that do not even acknowledge that the information given is not responsive. If people would only read the specific question...Anyway I think you're right and "Brain trust" is one lobe short of a total lobotomy.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 08:46 PM
Holly

Now, now, Righton - don't go slamming Brain Trust. I'm going to give him or her the benefit of the doubt and assume he or she was just having a brain fart this morning. <BR> <BR>Sandi - veniceword.com is a GREAT site. Lots of information there.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 05:33 PM
syl

to the top