Museums at night in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me which museums have evening hours in London? Are they all on one specific night, and are reservations required?

I can't think of anything lovelier than going to a museum at night -- have never done it!
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 12:48 AM

If you mean "museum" in the American sense (ie to include what we call art galleries):
- the V&A is open till 10 pm on Wednesdays and the last Friday of each month
- the British Museum is open till 8.30 Thurs and Friday and the Great Court (frankly, little more than an extravagant food court, unless the old reading room is open) till 11 Thurs-Sat
- the National Gallery till 9 on Wednesdays.
- the Royal Academy often has exotic (sometimes 24 hour) opening hours for its blockbuster shows, but these vary by show. Other blockbuster venues - like the Hayward - also sometimes do extended opening hours.
- Tate Modern till 10 Friday and Saturday
- I think most other museums (in the British sense) don't, though doubtless someone will remind us that the museum of quantity surveying in South Norwood opens till 4am the last Thursday in December.

None of these need booking for the mainstream gallery, though if a special exhibitions requires timed tickets, it will still need booking in the usual way.

Additionally, special exhibitions (like the Gothic at the V+A, the Turner/Venice at Tate, or the Pre-Raphaelite at the RA) are open several nights a week for special groups (usually at special - ie high - prices. But you do get a glass of sparkling Ozzie wine) Some of these you can access through the gallery's "Friends" organisation, and the National Art Collections Fund organises a lot of these for members. And if you're doing business here, you may well find that a client or supplier is sponsoring, or is invited to, one of them.

As always, the current copy of Time Out gives infinitely more detailed, and probably accurate, information than any of us ever can
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 03:32 AM

Check the details for each location. At the British Museum, for instance, not all of the galleries are open late.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Degas

I love to go in the evening and often have the whole place or most of the place to myself. The downside is that you can get disapointed sometimes when a gallery is closed.

Old Oct 16th, 2003, 05:52 AM

Hi
each major museum has a website, and they are very much worth looking at.
In addition to basic info like visiting hours and events calendars, there are often diagrams, pictures, and highlights described that are very helpful in planning your visits.