Search

Museum Tickets and Rules

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Museum Tickets and Rules

Hello Everyone,
I'm going to Rome, Venice, Milan, and Florance in three week. Does anyone know if camcorder are allowed in the museums. And should I buy my tickets on line as I hear there are long line to buy tickets there.Or can my hotel buy them for me when I get there?
Thanks
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 06:10 AM
ira

Hi di,

Most museums forbid taking pictures of any sort.

You don't have to buy your tickets ahead of time. You can make reservations from home.

For the Uffizi and the Academia in Florence
"The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 1.60 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services".

For the Secret Itineraries tour in Venice the number for reservations more than one day ahead is 011 39 041-520-9070.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:14 AM

Your hotels can also reserve for you, the two mentioned above, plus the Borghese in Rome.
I don't know what the most recent camcorder policies, but I always think it's a good idea to check the museums' websites before I go--helps with planning the visit anyway.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:37 AM

We also recently found that most museums forbid the use of any photographic equipment.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 11:49 AM
Intrepid

The rules vary from museum to museum. Some will alow you to take pictures if you purcahse a permit to do so, some don't seem to care one way or the other although I have found that taking flash photos is generally prohibited due to the possible damage caused to art works.
The best advice is to try to find out beforehand as someone above suggested but regardless I would ask when I entered the particular museum just to be certain.

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 01:06 PM

Talking about taking pictures or video camera...When I was at the Louvre 10 days ago, before entering the Mona Lisa site, there were numerous signs everywhere telling people that pictures or video cameras, were not allowed...
Guess what? 60% of the visitors disregarded the signs and were busy filming the painting anyway.
I just hope that the curse of Mona Lisa descend upon them and make all their pictures come out dark...
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:17 PM

FLASH lights cause over 40,000 hours of sun damage to a painting. Keep that in mind as that is a drop in the bucket when you multiply the ratio of tourists with cameras vs a very popular and important work. Statues are not that often monitored. Videos, without lights are not so regulated (Egypt was an exception) but then videos were for sale in the gift shop. Often, buying a post card of a famous work is better lighted and presented than a clandistine shot under an overcoat!!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:49 PM

First, you should check the rules at each museum. If non-flash photography is allowed, 800-speed film will often allow you to take decent photos if there is reasonable ambient lighting. In 1996, there was no problem using a camcorder in the Vatican museum, but no filming/recording of any kind was allowed in the Sistine Chapel, due to the rights Fuji held as a part of their funding of the restorations. I do not know the duration of that agreement.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 09:58 PM

Most places post "no photos" sign, but I had great luck using a small digital camera without flash. They never suspected a thing and it does no damage to artworks. Returned with pics of all, from the Sistine Chapel ceilings to the Last Supper. I doubt you will be able to hide a camcorder from the museum guides view.