Museum Closures in Florence

Old Oct 14th, 2021, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Museum Closures in Florence

Does anyone know why the museums are closed in Florence, Italy?
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 11:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you saying all the museums in the entire city are closed? Are you in Florence now? If not, what is your news source?
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 05:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Per other posts the OP is visiting Florence next month so I'm not sure what she is actually asking. Maybe that the museums she's interested in are already fully booked??
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 06:51 PM

I don't think they are closed. I just looked online and tickets are available for the Ufizzi tomorrow.
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 01:52 AM

Could OP have seen something online that actually relates to last year? There were some closures in Nov 2020 due to Covid rates...
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

I looked at Trip Advisor and they listed the museums in Florence temporarily closed. Nothing was mentioned last week on this same site. Just wondering why? Thanks for your responses.
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to pay attention to the date(s) of news articles and postings on TA, Fodors, etc. TA will automatically close a thread when it becomes inactive, but there is no human monitoring to insure that the info posted is still (or ever was) accurate. Covid in particular has made it important to know the latest info which often means searching official government or cultural websites and not travel forums or relying on news reports.
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 02:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is the website for the Firenze card - I'm not suggesting that you purchase it, but it gives you links to every museum in Florence so that you can check availability of tickets, opening times, booking options etc.

Museums | Firenze Card

Reading it and other websites I see no sign that there is widespread closure of museums in Florence.

Here's the link for the Uffizi and associated museums: https://www.uffizi.it/en/tickets

And here's the link to the civic museums: https://museicivicifiorentini.comune.fi.it/en/

And finally the Accademia: https://www.galleriaaccademiafirenze.it/en/
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 06:55 PM

I was just in Florence last week and visited the Palazzo Pitti and the Uffizi. I did not hear anything about museums being closed. I'll tell you what, though, it was INCREDIBLE to be completely alone in a room starting at Primavera --same with Birth of Venus. There were very few people in the entire museum.
Old Oct 16th, 2021, 09:27 AM

That's wonderful, SusanG. It makes such a difference, doesn't it?
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 04:54 AM

Oh my gosh annhig, it was unbelievable. I have never, ever experienced anything like it. To be alone in a room with my favorite paintings at the Uffizi? Fantastic. Also, I have not been to Florence in 3 years, but they have a piano terra and a piano prima now (main floor and first floor). It definitely helps with the flow of traffic. The Caravaggios are downstairs now, along with a hallway of Medici portraits. Stunning,
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 01:12 PM

SusanG - it's unlikely that I'll be back in Florence any time soon but that is certainly good to know. My one and only visit to the Uffizi was about 15 years ago when we had managed to get tickets for the first slot in the morning but despite this we were soon overtaken and then swamped by numerous groups who had little thought for anyone else. Despite this we saw what we wanted but not how we'd have liked to see it. It makes such a difference to be alone with a work, doesn't it? The only time I can remember this happening was on a visit to London a few years ago to see a Monet exhibition - I found myself alone in a room with at least half a dozen of his works. The last time I'd seen them had been in the Grande Palais in Paris when the world and her husband seemed to be intent on seeing the same haystack as me at the same time. The difference between the two experiences was amazing.