Reload this Page >

Musee Marmottan Monet in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:58 AM
Mike

Someone mentioned a thread on this museum. Are there any visitors that can fill us in on the worth of the visit to this one. It looks like it may be difficult to get there on the metro (lots of changes). Since the Orangerie is closed it looks like a replacement for impressionist lovers.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:04 AM
jj

Not that difficult to get there, Mike.<BR>Get off at 'La Muette' metro stop.<BR><BR>More information on the museum's web page here:<BR><BR>http://www.marmottan.com/uk/sommaire/index.htm

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:12 AM
Mike

Thanks JJ. Know of any good eateries in the neighborhood for lunch?

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:14 AM
amy

Not that difficult to get to, but do be prepared for a smaller collection than you may be thinking of. We were surprised that the Monets were just filling a medium sized room downstairs, so it may be good to bear in mind all of the major museums that have large Monet collections, as well as the fact that so often, large numbers are on-loan or travelling in exhibits, in addition to the fact that there may be quite a number at Giverny.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:16 AM
Uncle Sam

If you are an impressionist lover do not miss Muse D'Orsay...it is a winner!<BR><BR>US

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:16 AM
Mike

Apparently one needs PARIS in the body of the message for a thread to show up under France, and Paris.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:17 AM
amy

Sorry, just realized I didn't give you a thumbs up or down. Bottom line, it was small, but we enjoyed it as well as the nice, residential neighborhood it resides in.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:44 AM
jt

Time is precious, maybe skip it. Even when I used to worship Monet it didn't overly impress me. And that was before it was robbed - I believe they got back one or some of those Monet's but did they get them all back (don't think so)?<BR><BR>I was spoiled by the old Jeu de Pomme impressionist center. The Gare Orsay doesn't seem like a good substitute. For an excellant small (but convenient) museum experience, try the Rodin.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:47 AM
Mike

Thanks for all the information. It is definitely a stop for us (as well as the D'Orsay and about 3 dozen others&lt;G&gt

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:07 PM
Bob Brown

Let me make 3 observations that sum up my impressions of Musee Marmottan:<BR>1. moderately easy to get too and to find once you get out of the Metro hole; I recall signs pointing to the place. La Muette is one of those Metro exits where having a compass comes in handy to become oriented because you are in a mini canyon of apartment buildings. <BR>2. the museum itself is not overwhelming; highly interesting perhaps but not great; other museums in Paris of similar size are more appealing to me.<BR>3. the Monet collection is for Monet lovers for several reasons.<BR> a. his best work is of course elsewhere.<BR> b. many of the paintings are of the same scene where it is very easy to see that Monet was experimenting with different colors; essentially we were viewing a work in various stages of progresss. While interesting to the artist, I am not positive that six or seven views of basically the same scene will be that fascinating to the person who is more interested in the finished product.<BR> c. the museum was not crowded when we were there, thus giving us a chance to look without being jostled or having our view of the paintings obstructed by other visitors.<BR><BR>I am sure that my views are arguable; but the above comments sum up my reaction after a fairly thorough visit.<BR>We stayed a while because it was a rainy Sunday afternoon, a very good one for museum visiting.<BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:11 PM
Gretchen

Another vote for the Marmottan. It is in an upscale residential neighborhood with beautiful little patisseries near the Metro. The collection is interesting plus on the upper floors there are other artists featured and when we were there a Signac exhibit that was VERY interesting. Monet's painting from which the term "impressionistic" is there also. And the water lilies as he slowly lost his sight are almost disturbing.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:22 PM
Peg

If you have an extra few minutes, enjoy the Jardin du Ranelagh right across from the Marmottan. One of the sweetest neighborhood parks in Paris!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:31 PM
Paula

The Marmottan is a gem of a museum. It may, however, seem a bit disappointing as compared to the impressionist gallery at D'Orsay. <BR><BR>If you do go to the Marmottan, look for Gauguin's very striking "Bouquet de Fleurs" on one of the upper floors. <BR><BR>As for lunch, we stopped in at one of the cafe's on nearby Rue de Passy (which is also a good street for shopping, as I recall).

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 05:05 PM
sue

Passy is a lovely residential neighborhood, with pretty parks, nice restaurants, and good shopping. I incorporated lots of walking around when I visited the Marmottan, and also went to the Balzac House, which was extremely interesting (as I love Balzac's books). I think it's worthwhile to see the Marmottan, and the house itself, but it's definitely not a large collection. Of course, there's no comparison with the D'Orsay, but if you have the time, do it.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:04 PM
Howard

The Marmottan is worth a visit. However, as some of the other posters have said, the Musee D'Orsay is much more of treat for Monet--and Impressionist art in general--lovers. <BR>Two suggestions:<BR>1. Visit the Marmottan first. We went there after visiting both the D'Orsay and Monet's home and gardens in Giverny and found it a letdown after visiting the other two sites mentioned.<BR>2. Try to fit a visit to Giverny during your visit.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:33 PM
Mike

Thanks to all so far. Great information for the trip. Think we will have the time for that and all others mentioned. Where is the Balzac House? Is it just a house museum or is there more. Do not remember seeing it on any museum lists?

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:04 AM
Paula

Mike,<BR><BR>Maison de Balzac<BR>47, rue Raynouard<BR><BR>www.paris-france.org/musees/balzac

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:08 AM
Shar

IF you have time go to Giverny. Drive or take the bus. It is beautiful and great to see what gave him so much inspiration. It is a must for Monet fans like myself. Shar

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:00 PM
Mike

Thanks for all the great advice on the Musee Marmottan Monet. I like the idea of seeing it first so it will not be a disappointment. Neighborhood sounds interesting too. Will Schedule Giverney, along with the D'orsay & the Louvre but thought we could take the RER to Giverny?<BR>You folks are the greatest.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:17 PM
Howard

You can't take the RER to Giverny. Your most practical options are:<BR>1. Take a train to Vernon and then a cab or bus to Giverny.<BR>2. Sign up for a bus or van tour to the site.<BR>We opted for a van trip and were happy we did. It was relaxing and hassle free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -