Search

Musee Marmottan in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:35 PM
sjk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Musee Marmottan in Paris

The Fodors reviewers give it a 5. I'm a great fan of Monet's work. I'm trying to prioritize the museums that we should try to see. Is this one really worth it? Is it difficult to get to? I remember trying to find it on my last trip to Paris 3 years ago and failing miserably.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:52 PM

It's a little out of the way, but not difficult to get to by any means. If you like Monet and Impressionism, well worth the effort, IMO. Do a text search here for &quot;Marmottan&quot; to find many threads praising this museum.<BR><BR>www.marmottan.com<BR><BR>Another small gem is the Jacquemart-Andre; a beautiful mansion filled with a truly impressive private collection.<BR>http://www.musee-jacquemart-andre.com/
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:15 PM

The Marmottan is a much advised visit for Monet fans. &quot;Impression Soleil,&quot; from which the term impressionism was coined, is on display there. All you have to do is take the Metro to La Muette and follow the signs. For a shorter walk when leaving, go right to the boulevard and catch a bus.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:05 PM

The Marmottan is a nice smaller museum but I did not get around to seeing it until I had been to Paris many times (and I love Monet).<BR><BR>The museum is, as someone else pointed out, a bit out of the way. It is not generally crowded.<BR><BR>No one can tell YOU what YOU should see. You do your research. You decide. It's your trip. You can always return to see what you missed.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:23 PM

I was impressed with the collection at the Musee Jacquemart Andre. There is a lot of art hung compactly on the walls, perhaps too much so for focused viewing.<BR>Paintings seem to compete for attention because they are so close together If you know that in advance, however, you can enter the museum mentally prepared to isolate a particularly outstanding painting with your gaze. A little self imposed tunnel vision I suppose.<BR>At any rate the visit for me was worth it.<BR><BR>Musee Marmottan is one of those places that you should see if you are a Monet devotee. I found it interesting, but much of his his best work is elsewhere.<BR>What I found fascinating was the painting of the garden archway of overhanging plants in many versions.<BR>(Sorry I cannot think of the title of the painting.) Each version showed how Monet tried many combinations of color until he achieved exactly the effect he wanted. It was literally a chance to see a great work in progress and trace its development through hours of painstaking labor and many revisions.<BR>I was fascinated more by seeing those &quot;drafts&quot; than I was the finished works. Yes, Monet had a great eye for color and for the total effect of his art on the viewer, but he achieved it after detailed thought and much consideration of many combinations of color, shape, and form. <BR><BR>The museum is not hard to find if you know where to turn after you emerge from the metro station. I found it without much trouble. As I recall, there were signs pointing to it.<BR>(Correct me if I am wrong. I may be confusing it with Musee Jacquemart Andre. There were signs for it,too.)<BR>
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:17 PM

Though many of Monets best works are elsewhere, it's worth a visit for his personal collection (those of his paintings he refused to sell), along with much from his &quot;friends&quot; and contemporary artists, his early works (pastels of his children, cartoons, print ads...) and a walk about this lovely neighborhood, which is definitely one not heavily &quot;touristed&quot;.<BR><BR>One gem you will find here is &quot;Impression, Sunrise&quot; the origin of the word &quot;Impressionism&quot;. And, it's stunning!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:38 PM

I liked the museum a lot and the whole neighborhood around it. It felt like 19th-early 20th century Paris (charming, old fashioned park filled with more Parisians than tourists). I spent the morning touring Modern and Art Nouveau architecture in a nearby arrondisement, the afternoon at the Marmottan, and afterwards walked through the park and nearby streets filled with cafes and pattiseries. It was one of the most pleasant of all my many Parisian experiences.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:15 PM

If you love Impressionism (they do have other things too!) this is not to be missed, IMO. In addition to Monet, there are other impressionist works there. My favorite: Henri LeSidaner.<BR>Most people are consumed with Monet's Water Lilies series (as well as Rouen Cathedral).<BR><BR>It's a lovely mansion in the Muette neighborhood, and I agree with SloPugs - I was smitten with this area! Right, LaMuette metro stop, maybe a 10 minute walk to the museum. Quite safe.<BR>I hope you give it another chance - it's not the Musee d'Orsay, but...special.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:13 AM

We went to the Marmottan last time we were in Paris because we love Monet's work. The collection is in a modern addition to a 19th century mansion. We went in March so it really wasn't crowded and you could look down the long room at the painting for a different perspective. This is a private museum so your museum pass isn't accepted. I think the entrance fee was 13 euros per person.<BR>The Bois de Boulogne(sp?) is at the end of the block so if the weather is nice go wander there.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:20 AM

The Musee Marmottan is definitely worth a visit. <BR>Besides, you will get to know an area in Paris (La Muette/Passy) where you usually wouldn't go. <BR>Very Parisian, very chic and upscale.<BR><BR>The Museum's web site will give you all necessary details. <BR>BTW, entrance fee is 6.50 Euro.<BR><BR>http://www.marmottan.com/uk/sommaire/index.htm
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:26 AM

If you are near a 63 bus, take it to the end of the line. From there, signs point to the museum which is about four blocks away.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:31 AM

The Marmottan is worth it at least once for all the reasons cited about.<BR><BR>I would also like to second the recommendation for Jacquemart-Andre -- in addition to the collection and the house, they often have a nice smaller special exhibition that explores themes from the collection and includes works from other places.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:48 AM

I would recommend going to the Musee Marmottan BEFORE going to Musee d'Orsay. We went there after visiting both d'Orsay and Monet's home in Giverny. And, while we did enjoy the experience, the Marmottan was a bit of a letdown after visiting the other two.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:55 AM

My husband does not get excited about going to art museums but this is the one he remembers. He talked about it just the other day: remember that small museum in a house that we had to walk through a park to get to that had all those beautiful paintings? My 18 year old liked it because it was smaller and more intimate.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 05:59 AM

Marmottan is well worth visiting.<BR><BR>Two asides:<BR><BR>-Museum pass is not accepted here<BR>-On the second floor are a number of Berthe Morrisot paintings that should not be missed.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 06:41 AM

As to the Jaquemart Andre, the mansion with its rich interior decoration is part of the attraction. Most notable is the winter garden, with its unique double satircase. The architect placed second in the competition for the Opera, and this was an attempt to outdo his compeditor Charles Garnier. There is also a very nice tea room at the museum.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 12:10 AM

The Musee Marmottan was very easy to get to. We went on the metro and the signs from the metro station were very easy to follow.<BR><BR>If you love Monet's work, you should visit Giverny. Its absolutely amazing standing on the bridge and thinking that Monet painted it so many times.<BR> <BR>
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:09 AM

I agree that a visit to Musee Marmottan is one that benefits from a neighborhood stroll. That section of Paris is very pleasant and upscale. While walking around Jardin de Ranelagh, looking in some of the shop windows, and even eating in a local cafe, I felt like I was experiencing the Paris I had come to visit. Yes, the other museums are grand, even grandiose. The Eifel Tower is as spectacular as its pictures indicate, and the wide boulevards of central Paris are the hectic traffic arteries of films and novels, but the 16th Arrondissement of Paris around La Muette Metro station is residential Paris of dignity and charm.<BR><BR>Speaking of Jardin de Ranelagh, can someone tell me what that curious clear plastic bubble structure is for? We arrived early on a very rainy Sunday morning, and sought shelter under that curiosity for several minutes while waiting for the museum to open. While standing under it we tried in vain to figure out why the structure has a hole in the center of its top. It definitely was not designed as a rain shelter -- I hope!!<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 07:31 PM

A visit to the Marmottan serves two purposes. Of course the art, and the mansion itself. The art is in a lovely setting. Monet's son donated a lot of his personal collection upon his death. <BR><BR>As others have said, it will give you a change to explore a very priviledged area of Paris. The 16th arr. is an area without many 'tourist' attractions and so most visitors rarely venture there. Because of it's location, you may want to save it for another trip when you can afford the extra time needed. It's not that it is in the middle of nowhere, it's just that is little to do nearby except walk around and enjoy the sights. Parc Monceau is nearby and that is lovely.<BR><BR>We were told that the reason that there aren't a lot of Metro stops in that area, is that the wealthy homeowners/builders of the time, didn't take public transportation, it was for their staff.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:42 AM

Hi<BR>You go to the La Muette metro stop, walk north through a park for about 7-10 minutes, cross the street, and you're there, the entrance is on the side street.<BR>It is a powerhouse of a museum, if you like Monet, especially his most abstract later works. For me, it is one of my greatest museum pleasures.<BR>Great furniture collection also.<BR>Closed Mon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -