Search

musee d'orsay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 02:02 PM
mary

musee d'orsay

I will be in Paris in September and planning to visit the Impressionist collection at the Musee d'Orsay. An acquaintance said he heard they had some flooding at the museum and wasn't sure it was even open. Has anyone heard this?? <BR>Thanks!

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Myer

Unless you're planning to cancel your trip based on whether the d'Orsay is open, it doesn't matter very much. The museum is located right in the middle of Paris just accross the river from the Louvre. While it would be a disappointment not to be able to go there, you can easily find out when there. <BR>If it is closed for now you still have some time. <BR>

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Christina

no, I was just there two weeks ago and it was open and it was actually raining a lot every day at that time, but no flooding in the museum. Of course, the weather started clearing up when I left on July 21st and I know has been pretty good since then. For specific info, including special exhibitions, see www.musee-orsay.fr

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Bob Brown

As a normal rule, I don't recommend restaurants. But in the case of the Musee d'Orsay I make an exception. <BR>The dining room is really quite good. The deserts are what you would expect in Paris, and more. I had the tiramusu and thought it the best I have ever eaten. <BR>Don't confuse the dining room with the fast food eatery located in the upper northwest corner. <BR> <BR>I think a good lunch at the museum is a great way to take a rest from painting gazing. <BR>We spent a couple of hours looking around. After a nice lunch break, we went back to see the paintings we wanted to revisit. <BR> <BR>It is a great musuem and there is nothing I can add to that aspect your visit.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 04:33 PM
Donna

The flood was quite a while ago. Everything was fine in June when we were there. There are long lines at the Musee d'Orsay, so you may wish to consider a Carte Musees et Monuments.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Fred

It's open (as of the moment). For more Paris information e-mail me – [email protected]

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Linda McIlwain

I visited the Musee d'Orsay in Aug.1999 and would highly recommend the restaurant although prepare to spend a little more than you would in the cafe. My husband and I thought the food, the fresh peach dessert with some kind of brandy or wine or liquor, and the wine was some of the besy we had ever had. You need a long break for lunch if you plan to stay all day as we did. Good luck.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Surlok

D' Orsay is my favorite museum in Paris, but if you like Impressionism, I recommend you also the Musee de L'Orangerie. It's at the southwestern section of Jardin de Tuilleries. There, you'll see the Nympheas of Monet, huge canvas displayed all over the walls of two oval shaped rooms, so that you see them all around the room, from the sunrise to the sunset. <BR> <BR>Another museums that I recommend is the Marmottan. It's at 2, Rue Louis Boilly, metro station La Muette, on Rive Droite. It's also mostly Monet, and his Impressionist friends. <BR> <BR>Good luck and enjoy your stay, <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 10:34 PM
clairoobscur

Unfortunately,Surlok, AFAIK (I could be wrong, it cout have reopened recently without me taking notice), the Orangerie museum is still closed (it was supposed to reopen this year). And I believe that part of its collections are currently doing what a lot of people here do : travelling around the world.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 10:41 PM
clairobscur

Just to make it very clear : the ORANGERIE museum is closed (I was responding to Surlok, who recommanded to visit it. As everybody already said, the ORSAY is open. Or at least so it was 10 days ago. : I happened to walk by it just when they announced it was about to close, so I joined the queue and could enjoy a very short (half an hour) but free visit (they let people enter for free when it's about to close).

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 10:49 PM
Emily

How long before closing time would they let you in for free? This might be an interesting way to pop in and popo out if you happen to be around the area.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:00 PM
Christina

I also highly recommend a lunch in the restaurant. I spent all day at the Orsay because it was raining all day, so why not, and enjoyed a leisurely nice lunch. I am recommending the real dining room, not the cafe (or the fast food attic which is really not pleasant-looking). Even on a rainy day when the museum was packed (and at that time in July, a Museum card was essential as the waiting line was at least a block), the main restaurant (which is beautiful) had no waiting even at 1 pm. It was very nice, I went up to the cafe thinking some restaurant in there had a panoramic view but I never saw one so returned to the main one after viewing the crowd, wait and atmostphere in the cafe.