Munich u-bahn info

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 07:08 AM
Megan

Munich u-bahn info

Need info re: u-bahn and s-bahn in Munich. Which is in the city? Which on outskirts? Takin family there this June. Would like to get around without a car.

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 07:17 AM
Al

The U-Bahn is the local subway within the city. The S-Bahn takes you into the neighboring hinterland. For example, if you want to go to Dachau, take the S-Bahn. Ask at the Hauptbahnhof (Main Railway Station) or at numerous tourist information offices around town. Important: buy tickets before boarding the trains. Plainclothes transport inspectors will spot you and check to see if you have a ticket. Heavy fines result if you cannot present a stamped ticket. Munich is very user-friendly for those wishing to use public transportation.

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 11:58 AM
George Holt

Its easy and cheap to get around Munich. The U Bahn is the underground and the S Bahn is the overground, tickets are interchangeable. The procedure is to buy a ticket at a machine then before you go through the turnstile have it validated at another machine. You can buy several tickets and validate them just before you use them. Good little route maps are available at stations and virtually every line passes through the Hauptbahnhof.

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 01:25 PM
Megan

Thanks for the info. What is the range of the charges? What is your favorite castle to visit close to Munich and for instance what the charge be to go there? Any places we shouldn't miss for kids? (Mine are 6,8 and 10.) Kids prices for U-bahn and s-bahn?

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 03:20 AM
Chris

You could get what is called a Partnertageskarte for the entire network (Gesamtnetz) for DM 33 - that covers five people (kids count as 1/2 a person) for everything (U-Bahn, S-Bahn, buses, trams) until 6am the following day. As for the castles, Neuschwanstein is the one the castle at Disneyland/World was based on, and is about 100km south west of Munich. The pictures of Linderhof look nice as well. I haven't been to them personally yet, but intend to later this year. I live in Munich, so if you need any more information, I can try to help. <BR> <BR>Chris

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 02:03 PM
Leo

Chris, My friends and I will be staying in Munich for 3 nights. You mentioned purchasing a Partnertageskarte. Will I be able to purchase one that will cover 3 nights stay for the 4 of us? <BR>Also I was wondering if you know of a direct train from Munich to Berlin- how much would 1st class cost and when should it be purchased? <BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 11:18 PM
Chris

You can get individual 3 day passes for 3 days, but as far as I know, you can't get the Partnertageskarte for the entire network for 3 days (I can check if it's possible to get one just for the inner city), only for one day at a time. There are direct trains from Munich to Berlin, which take about 6 hours - the second class ticket varies between 190 and 250 DM (2nd class) depending on which train you get. You could check out the site www.deutsche-bahn.de, which allows you to search for schedule info/prices etc - that might be of use. <BR> <BR>Chris

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 12:52 AM
Chris McDonald

As an additional to my message above, you can get a Partnertageskarte for the inner city for three days.

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 06:49 AM
Doug

Here's a couple real nice websites with info about Munchen's transportation system: <BR> <BR>http://homepages.munich.netsurf.de/N...ler/munich.htm <BR> <BR> <BR>http://www.munichfound.com/ <BR> <BR> <BR>http://saturn.spaceports.com/~muenchen/bilder/mvv96.htm <BR>