Munich to Vienna

Sep 13th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Munich to Vienna

Hi, Need some help on traveling from Munich to Vienna by train (2 adults + 11 year old). Our flight arrives at Munich at 7:50 A.M. Do I book a ticket from Munich Airport or just München Hbf? If I do München Hbf, there is a promotional fare available for 29 Euros. But this seems very restrictive. After all we cannot be sure what time our flight arrives. Should I just buy the ticket originating from München Hbf and not the airport? That way I can figure out the fastest way of going between the airport and Hbf after we reach there? Also should I book a compartment or couch? We are going to be really jetlagged - do the seats recline..? Help!
Sep 13th, 2006, 02:02 PM

compartment or couch? are you taking a night train? couch would seem to mean couchette - a bed as opposed to a regular seat in a compartment.
Vienna trains would only serve the Hbf in Munich. You won't get anything near the 29 euros fare at the station in Munich - maybe about four times that much - so why not just leave a lot of fudge time between flight and train, cop the 29 euro ticket, and if on time take the S-Bahn train into the Hbf, throw you bags in a locker - plenty of them here - and then hop the S-Bahn from hbf to the Marienplatz and the heart of Munich to spend time before your train - better than missing the non-refundable 29 euro fare (i think non-refundable - though that's not all that much money to bet on and lose IMO.
There are reclining seats, called sleeperettes on night trains - on day trains they could recline a bit - for more comfort go 1st class - roomier seats for snoozing but lots more cost usually.
Why not take a cheap flight to Vienna - www.whichbudget.com for cheap flights between the two cities.
Sep 13th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Perhaps you are already aware, but the travel time between Munich Airport and HBF on the S-bahn (S-8 line) is 41 - 45 minutes. In addition, you'd have to add the time to get off the plane, pick up luggage, go through customs, and get to the train terminal in the middle of the Munich airport (it's in a building between the two air terminals). I believe that's at least a 30-45 minute proposition there.

Just keep that in mind when making your choice and reservations.
Sep 13th, 2006, 03:56 PM

How do you get the 29 euro rate? Thanks.
Sep 13th, 2006, 06:17 PM

Getting the cheap rates on Die Bahn are, as I understand it, possible only if you
buy in advance.

Although I don't know all the ins and outs, I can share with you how I recently use the Die Bahn website to buy tickets for a trip from Munich to Basel.

First I registered with Die Bahn which included entering my personal information including a credit card number.

Second, I selected the time and date for a train connection that offered a nice discount.

Third, using the website, I ordered the ticket using my newly established account number.

Fourth, Die Bahn sent me an email message with a PDF attachment that contained my ticket. A copy of the PDF file was also maintained on the website server and I could access it using my account number.

Fifth, I printed a copy (2 actually) of my ticket on standard A4 typewriter paper using an ink jet printer.

Sixth, on the train I presented to the conductor my home-printed copy of the ticket along with my credit card, which had the exact same number as shown on the ticket.

Having the same credit card is essential because it is your identification!

The home-printed ticket contains a scan code which the conductor can read with a hand-held device. He (or she) then punches the printed paper like any other ticket.

The process for me was very easy to accomplish and it worked as advertised with no hitches or glitches. Having a second copy for backup was most reassuring!!

I also was able to make a seat reservation at the same time and that information was included as part of the information printed on the ticket. For the train from Munich to Karlsruhe, I was happy I had a reserved seat.

I see no real advantage in booking a ticket from the airport. An alternative way to get to the main station, which I prefer, is the Lufthansa bus. The bus stops in front of each of the two main terminal areas and runs 3 times per hour. The trip takes about 45 minutes and your luggage goes in a locked compartment under the bus. You pay the driver directly, and if you are coming back the same way, you can buy a round-trip ticket at a slight savings.

Having tried both S-Bahn and bus, I take the bus every time now when I don't have the luxury of a ride in a private car.

Also the reduced price is available only on some of the trains. For example, the EC train that leaves Munich HBF for Vienna at 9:28 on September 17 offers a reduced fare ticket; the departure at 10:23 does not.

How much is the reduction? It varies but right now for September 17 the normal price is €67.80; the reduced fare is €29. Obviously, quite a reduction.

Now, how does one buy the ticket?

I might add that our arrival in Munich last month was very orderly. We got off the airplane as usual, went through passport control easily because it was not the mob scene you often see, and our luggage was delivered relatively quickly. Customs was not a problem; virtually a non event.

Sep 13th, 2006, 06:45 PM

You can buy at the airport station both the ticket to the main station and the special offer that you have found to Vienna. The Thomas Cook European Timetable shows a local train every ten minutes from Munich airport in 40 minutes to Munich main station, so you can leave the airport any time until 0840. At Munich main station you use a one euro coin to take a luggage trolley to the main platforms, and then take a restaurant car train from Munich main station at 0928 to Vienna West at 1335. This gives you good views of upper Bavarian meadows about 1030, and of Melk Abbey about 1220: you can ask train staff to tell you when you are to pass it. You may do that during lunch, with a glass of the Green Veltinger wine, special to the area, and good.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]
Sep 14th, 2006, 07:46 AM
ira

ttt
Sep 14th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the info! Yes, the special fares seem to be avialable only for certain trains and need to be purchased in advance. I dont think we can avail of it as the specail fare is fro a train which leaves at 9:28 and our flight only arrives at 7:50. Oh well! But as we are svaing a bucket by flying into Munich instead of Vienna it should be OK
Sep 14th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Is the special rate something that shows up automatically when you search for a train by schedule? I've not noticed any 29 euro fares for the routes I checked. I'm just curious if that's because I don't know that there's a trick -- or because they're truly not available. Thanks!
Sep 14th, 2006, 02:02 PM

It's only possible on direct trains. There is another link at bahn.de where you can search for discounted tickets. http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...n?program=esi&
Then click on "English"
Sep 14th, 2006, 02:59 PM

That's interesting. It looks like the special rates don't apply within Germany? I looked at a few starting cities and the routes are always for other cities outside of Germany.
Sep 14th, 2006, 03:12 PM

Yes, you're looking at "Europa Spezial", Surf&Rail Inter!national. They're making it easy for us, don't they? . I booked Munich to Florence last year for 29.- For October there are still many tickets available!
Sep 14th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Surf&Rail national is more expensive. Seems they don't want business travellers.
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/dn?srf=yes&

It's all there, you just have to buy your ticket
Sep 14th, 2006, 03:31 PM

The only trains for which the €29 fares are available are the EC (EuorCity) trains that leave Munich Hbf at 9:28, 15:26, and 17:23. If you search for them on the Bahn query page you will see the fares listed as "savings fares".

It is always a problem trying to use these special non-refundable fares on the day you arrive. The 9:28 train is cutting it too close, IMO, but the 15:26 train leaves too much dead time before you leave. I think I would just book a hotel in Munich and spend the day sightseeing and getting over jet lag, then leave for Vienna the following day.

BTW, I would normally not advise flying because of all the time getting to an airport, but in this case you will start in an airport. Unfortunately, I don't thing there are any cheap flights to Vienna. Several of the websites that list low fare flights to Vienna show them, but when you get to the airline sites they aren't shown.
Sep 14th, 2006, 03:37 PM

>cheap flights to Vienna
Lufthansa sometimes offer 99€ return flights. Short range turboprop machines on weekends. . A great way of flying, very "close" to everything.
Sep 14th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Thanks logos. I just bought a train pass, so I'm glad that a number of the routes I'm thinking of are not available as part of the special fares -- for example, Munich to Hannover.

By the way, I think that I read somewhere that you live near Munich. Any tips on Oktoberfest? If you have any tips, could you please let me know on my thread where I asked about hotels in Munich? I'm confused about whether I need reservations for tents, etc -- there'll only be two of us.

Thanks very much!
Sep 15th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Been to Oktoberfest several times - tables - in the most popular tents at night many are reserved by groups - businesses, etc. But it seems you can usually find the odd two seats - especially in the afternoon in my experience.
there are several large beer tents, each sponsored by a different Munich brewery - each with an oompah band playing "there is no beer in heaven...that's why we're all here" and other usual beer hall band songs - even by standing around i love these places - i usually flit from one to the other - you can always get in.
About table reservations i'll leave it to someone who knows more definitely about that.
Sep 15th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Thanks PalQ. I'd hate to go there, overpay for hotels, and find that I can't enjoy the festival after all this. Fortunately we'll be there Sa-Mo (actually my friend gets in on a Friday), so I think that we should be able to do something on Monday.
Sep 15th, 2006, 07:56 AM

>that I read somewhere that you live near Munich
I'm living about 2.5km from the Oktoberfest. Please everybody, be peaceful and quiet ater 10pm and NO vomiting and peeing in the street please. If needed, I will !! call the cops ;-)
Sep 18th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Bob Brown‘s posting has some great information about buying tickets online from DB. However, I disagree with him in this case about only buying tickets from the Hauptbahnhof and taking the bus vs. buying tickets all the way from the airport

First, although your bags are in a locked compartment under the bus, the S-bahn drops you in the underground station close to the main tracks in 41 minutes, the bus lets you off at the street outside the Hbf in 45 minutes, where you have to wait for the driver to open the luggage compartment. I think the bus would take longer.

There are trains to the Hbf every 10 minutes, on average, as opposed to one bus every 20 minutes. Of the 2 S-bahn routes; the longer one takes 3 minutes more than the other, but still gets you to the Hbf quicker than waiting for the next bus.

Additionally, depending on which connection you wish to make, you might be able to take the S-8 to the Ostbahnhof (faster than the bus to the Hbf by at least 10 minutes) and catch the same train at the Ostbahnhof 10 minutes after it leaves the Hbf. That gives you an extra 20 minutes to catch the train.

The bus will cost you €25 for 2 adults and a child, while the increase in rail fare for 2 Adults and 1 child for leaving from the airport rather than the Hbf is €4 to €12, depending on the route.

So, with the bus your seats are a little more comfortable and you luggage is locked under the bus (a questionable advantage), while the train is less expensive and potentially faster.

For people arriving for a few days in Munich, a €17 all zones day ticket will not only get up to five people into downtown Munich (vs. €10 each on the bus), but cover your local transportation to your hotel and for the rest of the day in Munich after that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO