Reload this Page >

Munich To Schladming

Search

Munich To Schladming

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 03:56 PM
Linda

Munich To Schladming

Hello, we will be spending a week in this town in July. We can fly into Munich and drive, fly to Vienna or Salzburg. Best fare is Munich. Wonder what the respective drives would be like. Also appreciate any info about the area.

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 04:26 PM
Al Godon

Mind telling us what Schladming has to do with all of this? Is Schladming the town where you are spending a week? Or is it Munich, Salzburg, and Vienna??<BR><BR>I don't think you fly and drive to Vienna from Munich. Why not take the train? What do you do with a car in Vienna? I was there last summer when I met a friend. He had a car. We did not ride in it!! Parking is expensive; traffic is like Boston.<BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 04:51 PM
Bob Brown

Schladming is best reached from Munich, or Salzburg. The highway between Munich and Salzburg is full of trucks and can get very bogged down. <BR>Here are the driving directions:<BR>Take Autobahn A10 to Radstadt, which is off of the main route. It is south of Salzburg toward Bischofshofen.<BR>Take highway B 146 at exit 63 and from Radstadt the distance is shown as 18 KM to Schladming. <BR>You need to know your town and city names in Austria. I found road numbers hard to find. We navigated by knowing the name of the next city we wanted to g to.<BR><BR>I strongly suggest you look this place up on the Internet. Yahoo's search engine found it for me; I trust it will do the same for you. <BR><BR>I thought the name was one I had heard.<BR>But it is not, even though I was in Bischofshofen last summer. <BR><BR>Don't ask me what the closest big town is because there isn't one because Schladming is out in the middle of the hills. Salzburg is the closest. <BR>Vienna is farther away than Munich by 10 K. But the Vienna airport, Schwechat is on the east side of Vienna and the Munich airport, J.S. Strauss, is on the north side. So I would say that the village is equidistant between the two. Perhaps a little easier to reach from Munich.<BR>I think I would opt for Munich because it looks like to me you have to drive through Vienna to get there whereas you can drive around Munich to the east on the autobahn.<BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 05:35 AM
Bob Brown

You can make the whole trip from Munich to Schladming via train, if you like. You can take the Sbahn from Strauss airport in Munich to the Hauptbahnhof (Main terminal). From there you can take any one of several trains per day to Salzburg. From Salzburg, a local train goes to Schladming. There are quite a few per day. The best travel time is 1 hour, 30 minutes. Travel is fairly slow because of all the stops. <BR>Vienna is over 4 hours by train from Schladming.<BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 12:39 PM
Wayne

Linda--<BR>I strongly recommend you fly into Munich for the lowest car rental rate, assuming you do want to rent a car to be able to tour the area during your time there. Rental in Vienna will cost more. I assume you will fly out of the same city you arrive in, but if you have a choice you should fly into Munich and out of Vienna, getting a chance to see both cities. Vienna is beautiful and worth a few days visit, which you probably don't have planned. Also, with autobahn most of the way, the drive from Munich to Schladming will only take about three hours, perhaps a bit more if the roads are very crowded. Frankly, I haven't ever had a problem with traffic on those highways. If you do plan to drive around the area, don't miss Hallstatt, Traunkirchen, and the other Salzkammergut lakes. Also go to Konigssee, one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. And if you don't know what Schladming looks like, be prepared for a visual onslaught of Alpine architecture. Have fun.