art nouveau/art deco in Paris

Nov 30th, 2001, 01:03 PM
ann

art nouveau/art deco in Paris

Am going to Paris in March and want to see (and photograph) art nouveau/art deco places. I know there are at least two original metro stations and several doorways.Does anyone know the exact locations of these or other places? Or other favorite places, points of interest etc to photograph. Thanks

Nov 30th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Diane

You'll want to take the Metro to Monmartre and get out at the Abbesses (I know that is probably spelled wrong) stop. Climb the stairs -- not exactly art deco but sure to please! Up top is the beautiful iron art deco entrance you are looking for.

Nov 30th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Chris

You could take a day trip to Brussels!

Nov 30th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Dina

You can see a wonderful Art Nouveau doorway in the middle of my page: www.costumegoddess.com/paris.htm
I only remembered it was a few blocks from my apartment near the Eiffel Tower, but Sally Fowler has told me that it's on Ave Rapp across from her favorite wine bar called Sancerre.
I'm sure you could do it more justice than I did.

Nov 30th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Scott

The Denfert-Rochereau Metro entrance is classic art deco...there are many others...although some are pretty beat up....I think it's the green line...6...that has more A/D stations although it might be the purple line...4...they both cross at Denfert Rochereau, so I'm not sure which is which. Take a ride and see.

Make sure you visit Musee d'Orsay...there's a wonderful art deco exhibit(permanent) on the mezzanine floor.

Enjoy!

Scott

Nov 30th, 2001, 02:50 PM
KT

I know there are some websites on just this subject, so you might want to do a search. The one I have bookmarked is http://www.yagga.net/walter/liberty/parigi/, but I remember seeing a number of others.

Nov 30th, 2001, 03:08 PM
Christina

I don't know as much about Art Deco as Art Nouveau (probably because I like it better), and think of it mainly as a decorative art in Paris and there are examples of that in some of the museums (probably Pompidou). As far as buildings, you don't get the great Art Deco bldgs like in the US there, the only one I can think of is the Palais de Chaillot at pl Trocadero (maybe Sacre Coeur? not sure if it's considered Art Deco). There are quite a few of the Guimard art nouveau metro entrances around Paris, some have covers which are most special (Porte Dauphine, Abbesses) and others don't which are more common(not sure of these, pl d'Italie and Monceau, one in the 16th also I remember). As far as buildings, there are many, not just doorways, there are outstanding examples in the Auteuil neighborhood (16th arr.). If you are interested in that, you should spend a day there, I did. Guimard designed many buildgs there, his first is Castel Berenger which is wonderful on rue la Fontaine. There are many buildings around there as I recall -- I think I got off at the Michel-Ange Auteuil metro stop and walks up rue la Fontaine towards rue du Ranelagh and then went went and walked up ave Mozart from metro Ranelagh (maybe it was Mozart south of there, I forget). This whole are is full of not only large apt buildings designed by Guimard and others, but smaller houses. I found a walking tour online on a Guimard website which, for some reason, has disappeared. If you really want to do this, and I recommend you do, go to the Musee d'Orsay your first day or so, to the bookshop -- in there, in the guidebook section, they have a small booklet of 4-5 special architectural walking tours, Guimard being one of them. The Musee d'Orsay does have a good decorative arts collection on the mezzanine, lots of Art Nouveau specimens (Lalique, Guimard, others)-- I don't remember Art Deco myself there, but perhaps I'm forgetting.

Nov 30th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Capo

The website below gives a brief overview of Art Nouveau, including the origin of the name.

http://www.innotts.co.uk/~jimbobs/culture/nouveau.htm

Also...

"Art Nouveau in Paris: Following the Noodle Line"

http://www.breakingart.com/bam/citiesoftheworld/paris/paris.php

"Art Nouveau Town Visits: Paris"

http://kubos.org/AN/en/villes/paris.htm

There's also a great art nouveau exhibit, which includes some amazing furniture and objets d'art, in the Musée d'Orsay.

Nov 30th, 2001, 04:21 PM
mimi taylor

Maxim's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 30th, 2001, 06:39 PM
Christina

I am now home from work and found my notes on the walking tour of Art Nouveau buildings in the 16th, here are the highlights: get off at the Michel-Ange Auteuil metro stop and go north on ave Mozart--there are Guimard buldings at 122 ave Mozart (Hotel Guimard, very special) and a small building at 2 villa Flore just north of that one; when you hit rue George Sand in a few blocks, take a left one block to rue Jasmin. Go right on rue Jasmin, right off that turn are two Guimard buildings at 3 sq Jasmin and 18 rue Henri Heine. Continue on rue Jasmin a bit until you hit rue Ribera (the Jasmin metro stop is there); take a right and go east several blocks until you reach rue La Fontaine, a larger street with many good examples on it. Take a left (north) on rue la Fontaine--these Guimard buildings are along there: Hotel Mezzara at 60 rue la Fontaine, about a block or two further are three good specimens on the right, lesser budget buildings than the big "hotels" (17-21 rue La Fontaine, 43 rue Gros and 8 rue Agar (these go off from the main street); then walk a block or so farther north and you get the masterpiece, Castel Beranger at 14 rue La Fontaine (this bldg won a prize). From there, you are near Maison de radio France, I just walked across the Seine from there on Pont de Grenelle. Another good Art Nouveau architect is Lavirotte who has several buldings in the 7th, one being I'm sure the one mentioned above (3 sq rapp, 29 ave R4app and 12 rue Sedillot which is just one block over. There are some other Art Nouveau bldgs around Luxembourg Gardens (and around the 8th arr) by less well-known architects (one by Auscher at 140 rue de Rennes, I think that is where the Tati store was). If you want to do the whole experience, there is a nice, decently priced 3-star hotel on ave Wagram north of the Arc which was designed by Lavirotte and still has that facade nicely restored (although I have read the interior is gone)--that's the Elysees Ceramic Hotel, they have some nice photos on their web site (www.elysees-ceramic.com). Another Guimard building is a synagogue, interestingly, at 10 rue Pavee near metro St Paul in the Marais.

Dec 1st, 2001, 04:09 AM
ann

Thanks so much for your replies. I've got them all in my notes and I'm mapping out my route.

Dec 1st, 2001, 04:53 AM
jw

Wow! What a terrific thread! As usual I'm barging just to thank you all for brightening my day! Next time I get to the library, I'm going to check out books on Art Nouveau! I've copied and filed your letters, Christine; hope that's ok. J.

Dec 1st, 2001, 10:17 AM
BTilke

The book Walking Paris by Gilles Desmons gives some excellent tips for the Art Nouveau section of the 16th (pp 157-163 in my copy). But the idea of doing a day trip to Brussels is also a good one. By the way, you do know those Art Nouvea metro entrances were designed by a Belgian?
BTilke (Brussels)

Dec 1st, 2001, 10:35 AM
ger

Ann:

Take a walk around the Auteuil area in the 16th Arr (Metro Eglis d'Auteuil) shows the best of Parisian ART Nouveau & Deco. Streets include Rue de la Fontaine, Rue L'Assomption, Rue du Docteur Blanch. "Eyewitness Paris" has the complete tour (your local library may carry it).

Regards Ger

Dec 1st, 2001, 11:43 AM
BTilke

There are some very fine Art Nouveau examples in the 7th as well, particularly around the Avenue Rapp, rue de l'Exposition, rue Sedillot, etc. Just walk through those blocks and you'll find some superb Art Nouveau architecture.

Dec 1st, 2001, 01:06 PM
Christina

Feel free to copy my post, I wrote it in the hope that someone might find it of interest and use. I really enjoyed that walking tour very much and think things like that really add to a visit to a new place -- seeing different neighborhoods and things in addition to the usual main tourist attractions.

Dec 1st, 2001, 08:27 PM
John G

There is an Art Nouveau metro stop on Grande Armee at Porte Maillot. There is also a nice cafe next to the entrance, so you can sit there and have a nice view.

Dec 3rd, 2001, 10:55 AM
Christina

Yet more info and thoughts--this is one of my favorite topics, architectural history, especially French, so I looked into some of my reference books in my library and had a few more ideas. First, the post elsewhere on here about the Samaritaine dept store reminded me that is has a nice Art Nouveau interior and is also one of the few well-known Parisian bldgs in the Art Deco style on the exterior (although has kind of been fiddled with). Don't know how I forgot that, as well as the beautiful interiors with domes of the Printemps and Galaries Lafayette dept stores--Printemps has an Art Nouveau dome in their Brasserie Flo restaurant, think they've kind of destroyed some of the rest of the place from what it once was; Gal. Lafayette interior is beautiful and has some AN influence although it's not as pure as, say, Samaritaine as I recall. Now, that gets to the fact that as someone suggested above (Maxims) there are some nice AN interiors in brasseries and restaurants in Paris--Brasserie Flo in the 10th arr is one of the most wellknown and most authentic, I think, it does have orig windows by Alphonse Mucha (one of their branches is the one in Printemps). Bouillon Racine also has a pretty good restored AN interior (and is a good place to eat, also) in St-Germain; restaurant Fermette Marbeuf was restored and has beautiful AN interior if you get the right room (bottom room). Anyway, my arch history books told me of a few Art Deco examples in Paris, and there aren't many (really, as I said, you don't go to Paris for Art Deco, you go to NY or Miami beach)--one is a cinema which I'd forgotten, but of course it's one of the best example in Paris, the Grand Rex in the 9th arr on bd Poisonniere (www.legrandrex.com, it really is a good example of Art Deco although you can't see it on their web site, unfortunately). Finally, Mallet-Stevens was the architect who was biggest proponent of Art Deco in Paris, apparently, and his residence and some other bldgs are in the 16th arr near all the Art Nouveau so could be combined with that trip -- his own street, rue Mallet-Stevens, a few blocks from Jasmin metro has Art Deco examples. I found a good online description of a 16th arr Art Nouveau walking tour which can clarify or supplement some of my mentions above; this isn't the one I used before, but it's pretty good: http://www.paris.org/Kiosque/apr01/art.nouveau.html

Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:13 PM
elvira

Like Christina, I am entranced by Paris's architecture. There's a website I use to visit Paris neighborhoods and their architecture:
www.parisbalades.com

Arr 1-4 are in English, the rest in French. Click on the southern part of the 16eme for a Guimard walk, and a le Corbusier walk (le Corbusier architecture in the 14eme, too). The Art Deco is a lot harder to visit in a simple walk, because buildings are scattered throughout the city.

Don't forget to check out the Musee d'Orsay "home furnishings" area for some great examples of Art Deco and Art Nouveau furniture.