Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thinking about a quick trip to Glasgow/Edinburgh and have some questions...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 02:50 PM
xxx

Hello, everyone.<BR>I'm considering a quick trip to Glasgow in early February for 5 days and had a few questions.<BR><BR>I'd like to do a day trip to Edinburgh while there. I'd like to see the sights and do some record shopping, etc. Will a full day be enough to get a flavor of the area?<BR><BR>Thanks everyone!<BR><BR><BR>

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 03:44 PM
kam

Glasgow to Edinburgh is only about 50 miles and you CAN do a lot of sightseeing in Edinburgh in one day, but I would suggest staying overnight at least. Someone just said Glasgow for the commercial and new and Edinburgh for the history.

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 08:51 PM
Sarah

I'd reverse the plans and stay in Edinburgh and make a sidetrip to Glasgow. Unless there's a special purpose for your stay in Glasgow, I think you'll find more history and beauty in Edinburgh.

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 06:13 AM
Maira

If you are planning to do it by train, we stayed at a hotel near the Waverly Station in Edinburgh called The Station House. Nothing charming, but clean, comfortable, great breakfast for about $80/double (May '98). The best was the location, walking distance to the station, mid-point a couple of blocks east of the Royal Mile. We walked to Holyrood Palace and the Edinburgh Castle. At the time the new Parliament House was under construction, but it was nearby, too. By the way, I am with Sarah, I would reverse and stay in Edinburgh, although in all fairness we only spend some hours in Glasgow

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 07:00 AM
xxx

Go with your original plan. It's a great idea. Glasgow has things different to Edinburgh; but it's worth visiting to get a flavour of the other. Advice given here is to take one of the hop on hop off city tours and see what the whole place looks like to get yourself orientated then pick the things from that that you especially want to do.<BR><BR>Also, as you come out of the station up the vehicles ramps onto Waverley Bridge, turn left. there is a cross roads about 75yds along. The street sort of diagonally ahead of you is Cockburn Street, which is the best place to go for records (assuming you're not looking for HMV and stuff like that that you can get anywhere). Try Fopp for particular bargains. <BR><BR>There's a lot of cross commuting between the cities so you might want to avoid travelling between 8am and 9pm and 5pm and 6pm

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:44 PM
frank

Train to Edinburgh Waverly is 45 from<BR>Glasgow Queen Street station.(NOT Glasgow Central which is a slow train.)<BR>Don't take a car to Edinburgh, you'll find parking difficult.<BR>Most reckon Glasgow is better for shopping (bigger city), also it's nearer to the Highlands - in Feb the days are very short so if you want to take in any scenery you have to be close.Try a bus/train journey to Oban.