munich to lake como

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 06:10 PM
lauren cahill

munich to lake como

Quick question...
My husband and I will be going to Munich for a wedding in July. From there we were thinking of heading to Lake Como (not sure if I am spelling that correctly) and wondered if there was a train to take or if driving were the only option? If driving does anyone know about how long it would take? We then thought we would just fly home out of Milan.
Thank you!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 07:10 AM
bettyk

Based on what I could find on the Rail Europe site and shellgeostar.com, it would take about 8 hours by train from Munich to Lake Como (with a change of trains in Zurich) versus 5 hours by car.

Unless you especially want to go to Italy there are some beautiful mountain/lake areas in Germany and Austria that would be closer. Bodensee/Lake Constance in Germany is lovely as is the Salzkammergut area in Austria (Hallstatt, St. Wolfgang, etc.)

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 07:23 AM
lisa

Beware:
Last July it took us 4 hours to get thru the St. Gottard Tunnel (Altdorf - Airolo).
Averaging about 25 km/hour in a stick shift car is no fun.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Ingo

It would not take you more than 5 hours by car if you drive via Garmisch-Fernpass-Landeck-St. Moritz-Chiavenna.

I use to drive this route when going on vacation to St. Moritz area. A very scenic route (maybe the fantastic views cause any delay

Ingo

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:59 AM
jack

We drove from Como(Verenna)to munich last may.We took four days but stopped in the mountains of northern italy one night and then in Innsbruch and Reutte austria) then drovefrom Como to Bolzano taking the high road. was a beautiful trip,mountain goats,waterfalls.Glurn is a small walled city.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:22 AM
munich

There is a night train leaving Munich 23:39, arriving Milan 8:55. Day trains from Munich 7:30 (change in Verona, arriving Milano C 14:55), 9:30, 11:30, 13:30 and 15:30 (arr Milan 22:50).

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:23 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I agree with Ingo--that is a fantastic route with much to see. I would make it a day and stop enroute--hard to beat.
Trains will be too much hassle.