Munich,Prague, CK, Salzburg, Vienna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2017, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again, I'm sorry to be such a pest, but we've added 3 days and 3 people which have altered our trip somewhat. Hopefully, this is the final itinerary.Please let me know if this order is the most efficient.
October 6, 2017 Fly NY to Munich
3 days in Munich
Fly to Prague
4 days in Prague
shuttle
1 night in CK
3 nights in Salzburg
Other 3 people fly home.
Train to Vienna
3 nights in Vienna
Fly home
Thank you again for your welcomed input.
We range in age from 1 30 year old , her parents in their 60's, my so and I 70. We are interested in walking, light hiking, food, history, art, music. Where is the best place for a river cruise, Prague or Vienna, or both. Is the 5 course dinner and concert in Vienna worth the money or should we do it on our own?
Old Mar 28th, 2017, 09:16 PM

I would never do a 5 course dinner and concert - there's lots of just concerts etc to choose from in Vienna - concerts with a selection of dance and music, the opera and lots more. Many beautiful free sung masses in Prague and Vienna . Also in Praque low cost music concerts in churches .
I'm not sure what I'd do in Salzburg for 3 nights when you're only allocating the same time to Vienna which has far more to see.
The river cruise in Praque was very boring .
Old Mar 28th, 2017, 09:35 PM

Have a meal - however many courses you choose (not chosen by someone else), and go to a concert on another day.

With a 5-course-full stomach you'll be asleep before the first movement of the first orchestral piece ends.

Also - are you a connoisseur of classical music? Do you know what you like and what you wish to hear? Then look up the concert schedule and take your pick.

There are some "concerts" put on for tourists who know nothing about classical music but think that because they're in Vienna they should hear some. I have attended some of those - professional musicians in period costumes playing short pieces, like robots, more like fast food than a chef's meal, and tourists come and go during the performance, photography is allowed so flashes go off everywhere - not really the quiet decorum a lover of classical music hopes for.

To each his own, you have been warned.
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 09:00 AM

Munich to Prague only costs from €15 by train, city centre to city centre. Or from €39 in 1st class.

www.cd.cz/eshop - you print your own ticket.

It'll also book trains Prague to Cesky Krumlov for only 27 or so - including the new direct air-conditoned express from Prague to CK, the Josef Seidel, leaving Prague daily at 08:02.
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for pointing that out about a big meal. I usually like to do my own thing, rather than booking through an agency. We changed Salzburg to 2 nights, then a car for 2 nights, so we can drive in the mountains. Any nice towns or places to stay an hour or 2 from Salzburg?