Munich in November

Search

Munich in November

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich in November

My daughter and I will be taking our first trip to Munich in November of 2006. Need idea's on hotels, dining, sightseeing, and rail trips.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 07:12 AM

What's her age? Do the two of you have any particular interests, e.g., art, architecture, history, etc.? How long will you be there?

That info might help us come up with some suggestions.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 07:20 AM

Also, what is your budget for hotels?
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:05 AM

I'm sorry, but if you need to ask all of these questions about Munich, why are you going? Don't you have some plan in mind?

Curious
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 11:47 AM

I'd be glad to help and have even been to Munich at that time of year a couple of times...but until I hear the answers to Flsd's very pertinent questions, sorry....
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM

Suggest you do some research and then ask more specific questions about various areas of concern.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

My daughter, age 22, is on the USA Kickboxing team. She will be competing in an International tournament in Munich. We plan to stay an extra week for sightseeing. We are interested in touring the countryside. We enjoy architecture, gardens, and historic places. After the event we would like to find a nice but inexpensive hotel.This is her 3rd trip to Europe in the last 2 years but it will the first time she will be able to stay for more than week and enjoy the country.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 12:26 AM

Topping this for you
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 04:30 PM
JN

I'l get the ball rolling on a couple of restaurants and sights.

Restaurants: We love german/bavarian fare, so found these three restaurants to be terrific: 1. Hackerhaus on Sendlingerstrasse, just off Marienplatz--try the Obazter (cheese spread thing with onions and bread) as an appetizer and have the apple strudel for desert.; Andechser Am Dom-just off Marienplatz, behind the Frauenkirche. They had the best schnitzel we've ever had and very good beer. 3. Donisl--just to the left of the Rathaus with the glockenspiel. They play oompah music at noon and in the evening, traditional german fare at an incredibly low price.

Things to see: Get a good guide book for particulars, but the Nyphenburg Palace, any of the Pinakotek art museums and Residenz are very interesting. We didn't get to the Deutches Museum, but if you like Science, I'm told it's pretty cool. The Frauenkirche and St. Michaels are churches worth a visit. We didn't climb to the top of the Fraunkirche tower, but were told that the views are awesome.

We took in an orchestra concert at the Gasteig performance center which was very cool. I believe Munich has something like three different world class orchestras, good ballet and opera.

I'll let others describe fun day trips.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 04:31 PM
JN

I just re-read my previous post--obviously I either should slow down in order to give full sentences or do a spell check. Ugh.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 04:36 PM

With a full week, I would suggest renting a car (or take trains) and see the area. Maybe stay in Munich for 2 nights, visit Ludwig's castles, and drive over to Salzburg... everything is so close over there!
We thought Rick Steves' book was very helpful in narrowing down our interests.
Hotel Uhland (I might have misspelled that) gets raves in Munich. It seems to be a good 3-star.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 04:44 PM

The weather can be a little iffy in November but still Munich is a great town with all the offerings of a cosmopolitan city yet very compact. I've stayed in the Hotel Adria- it is very comfortable (especically the first room on the lobby level) and in a quaint neighborhood (Lehel) that is very convenient to the town center without being in it (it's 1 or 2 subway stops away on a great underground system) or a 30 minute walk. They offer a nice breakfast but personally I like going to a local "bakerei" (bakery) and enjoying a wonderful fresh pastry and a delicious cup of coffee for very little money. Plus, the front desk will make you a coffee or capuccino any time for free.
There are nice restaurants right in that area but I think for a first visit and especially with a teenager, you ought to go to the Hofbrauhaus- a real institution and experience.
Another must do, in my opinion, is the Vikualienmarkt- it is an amazing open air food market (and more). There is a stall there called the Suppekueche (Soup Kitchen) where many locals enjoy a hearty soup and bread on picnic tables (even in the winter). But whether you eat there or not, it is a sight to behold and right in the center of town.
The "hip" neighborhood is Schwabing. The main drag is Leopoldstrasse with lots of cool shops that your daughter may like, etc. It is also the neighborhood of the university with plenty of cafes- which I think is a Munich highlight as well.
I could go on and on. But just do a lot of walking and you'll see a lot.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 06:43 PM

Restaurant:
Liebighof im Lehel is very nice--and reasonably priced. Not far from the Bavarian National Museum and Schack Galerie. One of the museum guards recommended it.

http://www.liebighof.de/
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 07:50 PM

We had an enjoyable meal with our daughters (ages 17 and 20) at the Ayingers Speis und Trank pub/restaurant. It is right near the Hofbrauhaus (which was absolutely mobbed when we went). Ayingers has tasty German food and their beer was also quite nice.