Search

Munich in March

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich in March

Hi guys,

I need some advice on my upcoming trip in March. I'll be going Munich for a conference in March, and am wondering for how long I should be staying there for. Is a week too long? Also, it's my first time to Germany. Any helpful suggestions on where to go from Munich?

Thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 01:50 AM

A week is not too long for Munich as it will give you time to visit the surrounding area as well.

Are you flying into Munich? Are you planning on renting a car (if yes, can you drive a stick)? Are you on expenses for the whole trip? Budget? Are you into art? History? Food? Beer? Churches? Castles? Hiking?
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks sparkchaser!

Yes, I'll be flying into Munich. Doubt I'll be driving there - or do I need to? Not too particular budget wise but hope to learn more about history, arts and glorious good food. Hiking sounds tempting as well but would it be too cold in March? (I'm from the sunny tropics and may be cold-averse!).

I intend on traveling out of Munich for the 2nd week. My travel partner has been to Salzburg and surrounding areas. Any other suggestions on where to go?

Thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 09:32 PM

The transit system in Munich is quite excellent, so there's really no need to drive.

I think Dachau is a must-see. The weather will be sure to help that place feel even more depressing.

Other Fodorites will have a laundry list of things that are worth visiting in the area.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 10:45 PM

Yep, Dachau should be on your list. Allow around half a day to visit - can be reached with public transport (train, then bus).

You could do a day trip with a tour company to Neuschwanstein, Linderhof, etc.

Allow a day to explore Munich - walk from Isator (one of the old gates) up through Marienplatz and along Kaufingerstrasse to Karlstor, climb St Peters (the OTHER one) for views on a good weather day, visit the Frauenkirche and the Asamkirche (Church of St Johann Nepomuk) for interiors with a difference, Viktualienmarkt, Nyphenburg Palace, Residenz, BMW Welt, Englische Garten (a bit chilly, but still good for a walk if the sun is out)...just scratching the surface, but that should get you going.

Plenty of places to indulge in Bavarian fare in Munich - stick your head in the Hofbraeuhaus (have a beer and a pretzel if there's room); dine at Haxenbraeu (near the Hofbraeu) for amazing pork knuckle, chicken and all things Bavarian; Augustiner Keller (near the main train station); Andechs am Dom (behind the Frauenkirche), and if you're there from 16 MArch you can partake in a Munich tradition of Starkbierzeit or Strong Beer Time, when the monks would brew strong beer (7%, or 14% proof) to drink to get them through the fasting time of Lent - just like drinking a loaf of bread!

In terms of other places to go outside Munich (other than Salzburg), try Innsbruck, Nuremberg/Nurnberg, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Bamberg, Regensburg.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 11:52 PM

I've been in Munich for the past five years and love it here, I am sure you will too! I can recommend going hiking - heading to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and visiting the Partnachklamm gorge is a beautiful experience - it may be a little chilly in March, but wrap up warm. And, while you're there you can take a train up to the top of Germany's highest mountain, the Zugspitze. At 3000m, the summit will be pretty icy in March! But they have an indoor bit at the top too.

I can also recommend Andechs (as madamtrashheap did) - it's a gentle hike to the cloisters and the beer is really rather good. The following lakes are also beautiful: Tegernsee, Ammersee and Starnberg.

In Munich itself, you should check out several beer halls - the Augustiner beer hall is a traditional, non-touristy alternative to the Hofbräuhaus.

Enjoy! And check out my blog for more tips: www.artsinmunich.com
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 07:16 AM

There are two separate Andechs recommendations . Madametrashheap is talking about the restaurant located in central Munich. The food and beer are excellent. Artsinmunich refers to the Andechs Monastery located outside of Munich. It is a 40 minute S-bahn trip to the small town and then a 40 minute hike up to the church. It's an easy hike through the forest and past a lake. The view is beautiful. At the top you can have food and their great beer.
Both of these are "must do" when we visit Munich.

Check out the company called Munich Walks (www.munichwalktours.de).). Their tours are well-priced. We did The Third Reich Tour. I like them because you can just show up and pay for a walk.

The English Gardens are extensive and very beautiful for walking. The park is large and you can walk a different section every day. There are also bike tours that go through the Gardens and other parts of Munich. Mike's Bike Tours are popular (www.mikesbiketours.com).

Be sure to visit Viktualienmarkt right in the city center. This is Munich's oldest outdoor market.

The Munich tourism website is a good resource (www.muenchen.de).

I hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! That was absolutely helpful!
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 02:29 PM

Munich has a lot of fun and interesting things to see but there there are three good directions to head out of Munich to see the sights. These can easily be done by car and can also be navigated by train.

1) SW to Salzburg with stops along the way at Prien to see Ludwig's copy of Versailles, Herren Chiemsee and then at Bertschesgaden.
2) South to Garmish, Mittenwald (the violin maker's village) Ettal Monastary, Linderhof, Oberammergau, Wieskirche and Fussen (Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau) and
3)NW to Rothenburg ODT with a possible stop in Neuremburg.
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 02:30 PM

Oops, Salzburg is SE of Munich not SW.