Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich hotels: Torbrau, Opera, Platzl or ???

Jan 8th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

I am planning a trip to Munich in late May for 2 people. Has anyone stayed at any of the following hotels:

Hotel Opera

Torbrau

Platzl

Or have suggestions on where to stay in or near the city center, but not by the train station. The reviews on TA are pretty good for all, but wanted to see if someone knew something more about area hotels.
Jan 8th, 2008, 09:55 AM

Torbreau always gets my vote. Great hotel and perfectly located.

Curious
Jan 8th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

thanks Curious.

have you stayed at any other hotels in the area. i'm guessing no due to your response, but thought i'd check.

metre
Jan 8th, 2008, 10:18 AM

We really liked the Opera. Quiet yet very convenient location in a very good neighborhood. Great staff. Public areas were more elegant than gemutlich. The rooms seemed a little pricey for what you get, but are quite nice. I would stay there again.

My recollection is that the Opera is a bit less expensive than the Torbrau or the Platzl.
Jan 8th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

thanks robertino.

Were you able to walk to all the major sights in the city center [Marienplatz area] from the Hotel Opera?

Jan 8th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Another vote for the Torbrau. Great location by one of the gates into the old city, walking distance to everything. Our room was small but very nicely appointed, good breakfast and friendly staff. We had a nice chat with the manager who walked through during breakfast to talk with guests. I would definitely stay there again.
Jan 8th, 2008, 10:51 AM

Both the Torbrau and the Platzl are nice, but the Platzl is next to the noisy Hofbrauhaus.

The Torbrau always gets good reviews, but is typically more pricey than I would want to pay.

I recently returned from Munich where I stayed at the newly opened Courtyard by Marriott. It is near the train station but I never found it too noisy. I think I paid $50 per night on Priceline - which made it one on the great bargains in Munich.
Jan 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM

You might like to check out the Hotel Schlicker -- near the Viktualienmarkt and Marienplatz.
Jan 8th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

I did look into the Hotel Schlicker but many reviews on TA complained of smokiness. Even with Munich going smoke free in public places, I won't stay at a hotel with a strong smoke odor.
Jan 8th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Hi metre -

Yes, everything was an easy walk from the Opera. And I was with my 80 year old in-laws. My guess is that Marienplatz was about a, um, 10 minute walk? 12? A very pleasant walk, too, just up Maximillianstrasse past Residenzplatz and you're basically there.

Also, the Lehel U Bahn station is about 2 minutes away.

I would be eager to try the Torbrau also, even though Tal is a busy street. The location of the Platzl next to the Hofbrauhaus is a big negative.
Jan 8th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Is noise ever a problem at the Torbrau [traffic or otherwise]?

Most people, here and elsewhere, complain that the Platzl's location next to the Hofbrauhaus, makes it very loud, and therefore, not somewhere to stay.

Noise at the Hotel Opera, probably isn't a problem, seeing as they are a little bit away from the city center, yes?
Jan 8th, 2008, 01:32 PM

We have stayed at both the Torbrau and the Platzl. The Platzl is larger and the rooms are better than the Torbrau.There is a larger breakfast selection as well.It is also closer to the main attractions. We had trouble one year when it was hot and we didn't want to close the window but in May you should be fine. There is noise from the H'haus (on weekends) but it lets up around midnite. I would go back to the Platzl but the Torbrau is OK, too.
Jan 8th, 2008, 02:22 PM
jweb

Torbrau is expensive but very good!

Jan 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Opera recently?

No one has reviewed it on TA since January 2007, and the last reviewer had a horrible time and problems with the staff.

Are there any tricks to getting a good deal at Torbrau? Everyone seems to agree that it's good, but pricey.
Jan 8th, 2008, 02:54 PM

I've had bruch at the Torbraeu a few times, very nice. And the manager came to every table asking how it was afterwards. The Torbraeu is located "im Tal" right at the Isar gate, the road in front is not that wide but during shopping hours there's quite some traffic. It can't be that! loud however.
Jan 8th, 2008, 03:47 PM

My vote is for the Platzl! Had a lovely stay for 3 nights and no noise heard at all. It is about a 5 minute walk to Marienplatz.

The staff couldn't do enough for us, even had a tech come to my room because I was having a problem with the internet connection. Fixed in 10 minutes. The breakfast was good.

They have a nice bar in the lobby.
Jan 9th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:44 PM

I was in Munich in October and stayed at the Kempinski on the Maximillanstrasse. It was a GREAT location and I enjoyed the hotel and staff.