Munich hotels - help!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Willma

Munich hotels - help!

I will be in Munich for one month and have narrowed my hotel choices to the following: Hotel Uhland, Creatif Hotel Elephant, or the Hotel Jedermann. Maybe the Best Western Aparthotel.......(hate to stay in an American chain, though) If you have stayed in any of these hotels, I would LOVE to hear your comments. It will help me make a choice.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 06:04 AM
xxx

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 06:30 AM
xxx

Willma, if you're going to be there for a month why don't you consider an apartment?

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 06:48 AM
gina

Wilma, I stayed at the Uhland 2 years ago. It is a comfortable hotel on a quiet side street, a ten minute walk to the station. It has a breakfast that is to die for--every type of bread, cereal, cheese, egg, jam, coffee, etc. that you could ever want. The rooms were big and comfortable. The only negative I would say about the Uhland is that it is a bit of a walk to restaurants because it is in a residential neighborhood. Otherwise I could not recommend it more highly.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Bob Brown

I know the hotel I used is not on your list, but I thought I would tell you about it anyhow.
It is the Hotel Astoria, a small boutique hotel in Schwabing, just off of Leopoldstraßse. It is near the Gieselastraße Ubahn station.
The room we had was spacious and quiet.
The breakfast at the hotel was superior.
There were all kinds of choices for cereal, breads, jams and jellies, sweet stuff, cheeses, fruits, dairy proudcts, plus tea and/or coffee.
The cheeses were top line, incuding Brie and Camembert. (Easy to tell what I like.)
The staff is easy to know and effective.
When I called a few days ago to make my reservation for this year, the person on duty recognized my voice from last summer. True, they do not have an overwhelming number of American guests, but on the other hand, the hotel runs a high occupancy rate most of the year.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 08:22 AM
ellen

I stayed at the Hotel Jedermann last June. For a couple of nights it was fine. Small single room, but clean, with good bathroom. Helpful staff, good breakfast. But, like the Hotel Uhland, it's near the train station but not much else. The trams stop right outside the Hotel and you can take then into the center, but I think for a month I'd want something more walkable.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 10:55 AM
manny

Wilma,
I have never stayed at the Hotel Uhland or the Hotel Jerdermann but when I was looking into hotels they were my consideration also. There have been postings on these hotels before and all were complimentary. As long as you are near transportation you can get aroung Munich very easily. If you will be there a month, you will probably be on buses and subway a lot. Look into a month's pass at the tourist information office at the main train station.
Just to caution you about hotel reservations, I had a hard time trying to get hotel reservations for the middle of the month in March so I had to make my vacation trip so that it ended before the 15th of March. I think there must be some special event taking place around the middle of the month as I also noticed that the hotel prices were up for the special event.
Check out Fodors and Frommers web site; bring up Munich and you will find all kinds of info for your trip. Another good web site is www.muenchen-tourist.de/english
Hope this helps.
Manny

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Doug

I too love the Jedermann - great price, handy transportation, clean, huge breakfast and super-nice staff, but for a month?.... I'd consider an apartment or rental. Check out:

http://mrlodge.de/englisch/e_home.htm

http://home.netsurf.de/nikolaus.duttler/munich.htm

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Ingrid

We stayed at the Hotel Uhland and it was fine, but very much out of the way.

I LOVED the Acanthus Hotel (one of Karen Brown's Romantic Inns).

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Wilma

Thanks so very much for the replies!! You've been more helpful than I can tell you. FYI, I usually stay at the Europaeisher (sp?) Hof in Munchen, but can't afford it for the full month. It's a nice hotel and has all the amenities I look for: in-room safe, great breakfast, larger rooms, large bathroom with tub, very clean, friendly staff (generally, depends who's on duty of course), and most of all, central location.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Manny

Wilma,
I usually stay at the Europaeischer Hof also. But the Jedermann is just up the street from it and near transportation. Good luck on hotel/apartment selection. This trip I am back at the Europaeischer Hof.