Munich Hotels and Pensions

Jan 12th, 1999, 10:11 AM
Bob Brown

Munich Hotels and Pensions

It has been a while since I was in Munich.
Any suggestions on moderately priced hotels or pensions in the city center? I have heard that the Hotel Monaco is OK. Any comments on that particular establishment?

Jan 12th, 1999, 10:43 AM
Lee

Bob: I don't know the Monaco from a bale of hay, but I have another one of, I believe, Wes Fowler fame. We are going to Germany in May and have selected four of our five hotels. The Munich hotel is the Hotel Uhland, about 10 minutes walking from the Marienplatz. I have been in touch with Brigitte Effinger at web address "[email protected]", with homepage "http://www.hotel-uhland.de". She has been very helpful and patient with all of my questions. It is a converted mansion in the city.

Check out their website. The place looks nice and the price is very good for the location.

Have a good trip!

Jan 12th, 1999, 03:19 PM
Bob Brown

We will not go until late September.
So fill me in on your others. We will be going to Salzburg and then into the hills southwest of Munich.

Jan 13th, 1999, 05:27 AM
Lee

Bob: We have reservations for Munich, Oberammergau, Dinkelsbuhl, Frankfurt and Assmanshausen am Rhein for May, '99. If you are interested in any of those, just let me know.

I can't help with Salburg, but there is a great place in nearby Bertchesgaden called the Four Seasons. Very nice, not too expensive.

Good luck!

Jan 13th, 1999, 05:27 AM
Tom

Bob,

Munich....Hotel Uhland is a must. Have stayed there four times over the past 6 years. Great location, breakfast, good service ina a nice qwuiet neighborhood about 15 minute walk from Marienpaltz.Double should be about $90 to $100. Website available.

Salzburg...will be staying this May at the Hotel Fuggerhof. It is located about two miles form the city in the woods overlooking the Alps. On bus line and about 5 minutes to city center.
Paying about $100 per night.

Also in Salzburg, have stayed at Hotel stiglbrau and Hotel Zum Hirschen. both are very nice, modern hotels, with good facilities. Price is much higher and Stiglbrau is closer to old town.

Need any info...e-mail me.

Jan 13th, 1999, 05:46 AM
Tom

I was in Munich a few weeks ago and opted against the Uhland, despite the rave reviews, because it was not in the heart of the city (in winter, a 15 minute walk seems much longer). I stayed at the Hotel Am Markt which is about a one minute walk to the Marienplatz. The rooms were very simple and didn't have a private bath. But considering the time I spend in a hotel, the location more than made up for the lack of luxury. It was between $60-70 U.S.

Jan 13th, 1999, 05:51 AM
Bob Brown

Thanks for the info. I emailed the Hotel Uhland, but no response yet.
Now, next decision: do we visit Salzburg on a day trip basis from Munich or stay over night? Because the Uhland is so close to the train station, and trains run frequently early and late, we could easily put in more hours in Salzburg than our feet could take.

I get the impression from a guide book (and a previous visit many, many years ago when I was young and energetic) that Salzburg is worth more than 1 day. So tell me what you think on that score, too.

Jan 16th, 1999, 07:08 PM
john grant

Stayed at Hotel Acanthus near Sedlinger Tor last Dec. Was under $100 and more than adequate. Wonderful breakfast room and breakfast and very nice people.

Jan 16th, 1999, 08:50 PM
Bob Brown

Much obliged to you all. I think I am tuned in now for both Munich and Paris.
In between I have a friend who lives in Tuebingen, south of Stuttgart.

Jan 17th, 1999, 04:25 AM
Doug

Two weeks ago we stayed at the Hotel Jedermann which is on the same street as the train station, about three short blocks west. A tram stops in front of the hotel and continues past the train station to all the center city sights. The hotel staff is extremely friendly and speaks excellent English. They serve a huge breakfast buffet and feature ultra-quiet rooms. They will even hold your bags after you check-out and wnat to do some last second shopping before you leave. We paid 200 DM for 4 in a room. Other niceties include towel warmers, Tv with CNN and an elevator.

http://www.hotel-jedermann.de/english/index.html