Munich favorites? Or day trips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a free day in Munich and I'm not so far feeling the city enough for a full second day.

Day trip ideas so far:
Augsburg?
Salzburg ?
Garmisch-p?
Thought about Bamberg but I think I don't want to spend longer than 4 hours round trip on the train.

I would like a historical town to roam around in, interesting museum/church and of course Christmas markets.

Or feel free to sell me on Munich of course Could just be I haven't see the best bits!

Thanks!
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 02:04 PM

The BMW factory tour I took was fun. The visit to Dachau was somber but well worth it.
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 02:07 PM

Landshut will fit the bill, and it's only half an hour away. A hidden gem of an old town, hardly known among foreign visitors despite its beauty and its vicinity to Munich. Here is why I'm recommending it: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/a997/
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Cars aren't my thing, unfortunately. And Dachau was actually what I was going to do with that free day- probably should have mentioned that- but I'm not really feeling like Holocaust history either.
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Quokka, that does look right up my alley! How's the walk from the train station to the main part of town?
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 02:24 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I've done both Augsburg and Salzburg as day trips.

If you want a lot to do then go to Salzburg. You can hit the Christmas market either before or after going up the fortress. See the churck there, then walk around old town and see Mozart's birthplace and walk across I believe the Makartsteg bridge with the locks and nice view of the fortress and continue toward Mirabell Palace and Gardens. Then you can go either to Mozarts other house or the small christmas market on the other side of the palace and take the bus back to the train station. A bayern ticket will cover you both ways from and to Munich. This to me is an all day trip I took the 10am ish train and got back around 7-8pm at night. Of course depends on how much you want to look around.

If you want a half day then Augsburg would be best. I only visit the Christmas market and walked around which was enough for me. Someone else can probably list more things to do.
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

That is why I'm leaning towards Salzburg- I always think I'll want a half day but I usually end up doing a full day anyway. Thanks, sassy.

So much to see, so little time is always my problem lol.
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 06:46 PM
kja

I enjoyed Salzburg, but was glad I had more than a day trip there.

I can't possibly advise you on Munich as I have no idea what you've done / seen there. (And please -- don't provide a list! ;-) ) I trust you are using a good guidebook? Doing so can make all the difference!
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 06:57 PM

We were in Munich for only two days and wish we'd had more time. The scientific museum is world class, the food market is fun, the zoo is good, the churches are interesting, the parks are pleasant, the Nymphenburg palace is beautiful, and the Residenz has some gorgeous objets d'art. Need more?
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 09:04 PM

Hi marvelousmouse,

Though Salzburg is always a winner, with its history and charm, I think Augsburg is also a very good idea. I love that town and think it's more interesting and prettier than Munich. Go to and through the old town, then go down to where the small canals are. I love to wander around among the canals and discover shops, etc.

Have fun!

s
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 10:25 PM

I went to both Salzburg and Zugspitze on separate road trips.

Salzburg is nice but the coach tour I took also stopped by this beautiful lake.

Zugspitze was spectacular. It was in April a couple of years ago but sunny and a lot of people skiing. But the observation deck with views of the surrounding mountains and valleys and lakes was the thing.

I'm going back at the end of August but I'll be spending most of the time in Austria and maybe Switzerland.
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 12:54 AM

München:
Apart from the museums mentioned above, there are the galleries (Alte Pinakothek, Neue Pinakothek, Lehnbachhaus, Schackgalerie) and the archaeological museum (Glyptothek), which is small but has world-class exhibits, e.g., the Aegintes (the sculpures from the pediment of the Aphaea temple in Aegina).

Augsburg:
The main attraction is the splendid renaissance Town Hall by Elias Holl (don't miss the Golden Hall; entrance is through the ticket office at the rightmost door, poorly signposted). South of the downhall is the renaissance & baroque basilica St. Ulrich & Afra, to the north the early gothich cathedral and the Mozart house (the house of the Mozart family, which moved from there to Salzburg). Church St. Anna is a curious testimony of the centuries-old biconfessional status of the city, it has a catholic half (with the tomb of patrician Fugger family) and a protestant one (with an exhibition on Luthers examination on the diet of 1519 and the Confessio Augustana, the lutheran creed, handed over to the emperor Charles V. at the diet of 1530). Unlike Nürnberg and Munich, the city has Roman origins, so there is a museum on roman archaeology in the historical Zeughaus building.
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 02:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I assume you have ruled out the Residenz
as well as the Nymphenburg in Munich, correct?

If so, I'd go to Salzburg as opposed to Augsburg.
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 07:08 AM

I will second Quokka's recommendation of Landshut. A marvelous collection of Baroque building facades and a castle to boot. A few pictures:

https://mcchelsea.smugmug.com/Christ...Landshut-2009/

There is a bit of a walk from the train station to the old town center. I did it in my 60's but if you do not like walking, then a taxi might be nice.
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 07:38 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We're currently in Munich - have been here many times before, so only passing through, as we leave Germany tomorrow.

If you've never been to the Zugspitz - I highly recommend you do, better than any town ever could be! And you could still poke around Garmisch afterwards, wine-win.
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 07:57 AM

>I will second Quokka's recommendation of Landshut.
[...]

There is a bit of a walk from the train station to the old town center. I did it in my 60's but if you do not like walking, then a taxi might be nice.

Non need for a taxis. There are busses form the station to the center and they honour the Bayern Ticket.
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 09:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Garmisch
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. Have Possibly caught a nasty bug so I may just choose sleep, lol.
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Also...it occurs to me a local might know...but M swears she had Bailey's flavored nuts in /off the main market so we spent a good hour hunting but no luck. Now we're both obsessed. Any ideas which booth that might be? Never realized how many nut booths there were until we can't find the one with that particular flavor!
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 01:30 PM

How about Nuremberg?

Lovely old city with famous Christmas Market and famous small sausages and if interested in relics of the Third Reich has the biggest single collection of those remains in Hitler's old Parade Ground just south of town (short S-Bahn ride):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-faithful.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...w=1920&bih=950

Use the bargain Bavarian Lander Ticket for unlimited travels on regional trains throughout Bavaria -including to and from Salzburg- another real gem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -