Search

Munich experts - Krampus run?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2010, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich experts - Krampus run?

Hi All
I just saw that there will be a Krampus Run on Sun., the 5th., 'throught the market'. Does that mean Marienplatz? I first encountered Krampus several years ago in Salzburg and don't want to miss this. Thanks for all info. CJ
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 01:40 PM

Hi CarolJean:

I did a google search and didn't come up with specifics but it does look like you're correct, it will go thru the Christmas markets and indeed the Marienplatz. Below is a website and it does provide a little info if you scroll down the page.

http://www.destination-munich.com/mu...s-markets.html

Several years ago my husband and I went to Germany for the Christmas markets and specifically for the Buttnmandl and Krampus in Berchtesgaden and the surrounding areas. If you have an interest the one in Berchtesgaden is fantastic. We also found smaller Krampus runs in small towns along the way.

Have a wonderful time and beware of the switches!
Susan
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Suspaul
Thanks for the info and the website. (They said the run was Dec. 6 but I think that may have been last year.) The info I got was Dec. 5 from 4 to 5 p.m. I was just uncertain about which market. They are fun, aren't they? It is so much fun to watch the interactions with the kids.(One of the Krampus in Salzburg had chains.)
I won't be in Berchtesgaden but maybe someone else will. I love to be in Germany around Advent. Thanks again! CJ
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 05:35 PM

I don't know if it was an official "Krampus run" but we saw about a half a dozen of them at the Marienplatz Christmas Market a few years ago. I understand that they are Austrian in origin but they seem to get around and they are scary ugly.
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

You got it. They are scary ugly but that is part of the appeal for me. I can't wait. Hope to get some pictures but am not much of a photographer. CJ
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 10:27 PM

Krampus doesn't run. Krampus is the "pal" of Saint Nicholas. On the evening of Dec. 5th he comes to take away the bad kids in his sack. We're not as perverted here as to let hundreds of Krampuses run around in the open and scare the children to death.
There's a tradition, a Krampus run is a perversion!
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 01:48 AM

More info for the perverts

Krampus run will be on Dec 5 and Dec 19. 4-5pm.

The run will be across Marienplatz, from Weinstr. (the Western side of Marienplatz) to Rindermarkt (the little square 200yards S of Marienplatz).
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 03:03 AM

I must be going to the wrong German cities: I've seen lots and lots of "pervs" running around whacking people's heinies with switches. It seemed to me like many Germans become possessed around this time of year. And this was not in any Red Light Districts either!
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 07:31 AM

CarolJean, If youfind scary ugly appealing I have a couple of cousins you might like.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Cowboy, that is the info I had. Just wasn't sure of the route. (I'll be there.) Thanks!

Logos - I know but am grateful that the lowly tourist can enjoy this semblance of the tradition.

Susan - I see that you are going to Paris. Have a great time. (Are you taking longjohns? They sure help.) CJ
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 08:40 AM

>wrong German cities
You may be confusing this with the Alemannic Fasnacht, (Fasching in Munich) which takes place until Feb./March.

Saint Nicholas and THE Grampus is a serious matter (it really is!) An old Bavarian tradition. They only come as individuals ONE Nikolaus and ONE Grampus. It's for the kids and not a tourist attraction (unless the tourists are kids .

Grampus doesn't run, he's scaring you children ;-)
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 08:45 AM

CarolJean, of course you can enjoy, just it isn't a tradion but only performed for you tourists. It's like the American Santa Claus rides on a motorbike together with Mickey Mouse handing out presents... Wait, I think I've seen this somewhere in Florida too.